8/17/21 Brooklyn 2nd Alarm Box 3677

72 Ebony Court - Gerritsen Beach

BK to TL153: Ebony Court and Channel Avenue.

E321 to BK: 10-75, fire blowing out the windows on 2nd floor

L156 FAST, L169 new FAST

BC33 to BK: Extra engine and truck

BK transmits the AH

BC33 to BK: Transmit a 2nd alarm for box 3677. BC41 SO, BC42 RUL. Marine 3 has a 10-min ETA.

E246 became available from a previous box after the 2nd alarm. E323 became available and is getting a ticket.

E276 is 10-84 at the box

BC33 to BK: Give us another FAST truck please (L169).

Div. 15 to BK: Did they put the FAST truck to work for fire duty?

E253 is 10-84

Staging is Gerritsen Avenue in front of PS277

Div. 15 is 10-84, duration is 20 minutes.

BC43 to BK: Fire building is 72 Ebony Court. Additional fire building at 69 Dictum Court. Original fire building primaries are negative.

FC1 is 10-84

Div. 15 to BK: Command channel has been established.

BC43 to BK: Primaries throughout 69 Dictum Court are negative.

FC1 to BK: S/C (2) trucks please (TL120/TL159, L166/TL153)

FC1 to BK: Progress report: 3- story frame PD 30x60. Fire on 2nd and 3rd floor. Extension to exposure 3. Similar size up. Fire on 1st and 2nd floor of exposure. Main body of fire is KD, DWH.

Marine Battalion is 10-84

FC1 to BK: 5L/S, 4L/O. Trucks continue to open up. DWH.

FC1 to BK: 10-41 code 1 by Division 15. 57-minute duration.

Under Control @00:20hrs, 1 hour 6 minute duration.

BK to BC43: E224 for watchline

Probably (other box out in area due to smoke from this job):
E321, E309, E254, E276, E255?
T159, T153, L156F, L169F, TL161?
RS02, SQ01
BC. 33, 43
Div. 15
RAC5

2nd alarm probably:
E246, E323, E253, E224 w/l
TL157, T120/T159s/c, L166/T153s/c
BC. 41SO, BC42RUL, SB, RB
E284T SAT
FC1
M-3, Marine BC
TSU2

Relocations:
L166/TL153 (into the job)
L109/L156
E282/E254
TL105/TL157
BC57/BC33
TL120/TL159 (into the job)
BC32/BC43
E279/E246
L113/TL153

Last edited:
72 Ebony Court - Gerritsen Beach

BK to TL153: Ebony Court and Channel Avenue.

E321 to BK: 10-75, fire blowing out the windows on 2nd floor

L156 FAST

BC33 to BK: Extra engine and truck

BK transmits the AH

BC33 to BK: Transmit a 2nd alarm for box 3677. BC41 SO, BC42 RUL. Marine 3 has a 10-min ETA.

E246 became available from a previous box after the 2nd alarm. E323 became available and is getting a ticket

E276 is 10-84 at the box

BC33 to BK:
Close run for E321
Corner 2 story PD

Last edited:
I personally responded to the job, while I wasn't inside with them I did observe them at work and I saw nothing but professional good hard work, show a little respect for the hardworking good VOLUNTEERS who don't get an ounce of pay yet put their lives at risk to help and save others

And an extra note-the FDNY and the volunteers worked hand in hand with no problems, mutual respect on both sides

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of this great country is protected for volunteer fire departments. Some great and some not so great. I have over 40 years in the fire service from volunteer to paid on call to paid, I have seen the good bad and ugly of the fire service but I can tell you this, when the alarm bell rings Joe Q Public really don't give a rats ass who shows up as long as they bring help to the situation at hand. If you are in the fire service challenge yourself to be the best firefighting professional available and pay it forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerritsen Beach is a tight-packed, & tight-knit Community. If/When a Fire breaks-out and Eng.321,309,
TL159 are on another Run, (as occurs as much as not ); That neighborhood of tight-packed structures is in Imminent Danger,(as the quick
extension of This Job illustrates, when 321,309, 254, 159, 153 were In-Service/Available).

Gerritsen Beach Neighbors wholeheartedly Support & Participate w/ GBVFD
.https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...ef86e9b110c621!8m2!3d40.5881982!4d-73.9220436.

GBVFD often Co-Operates w/FDNY in Gerritsen Beach.
https://www.nycservice.org/organizations/index.php?org_id=2458

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, there are more than a couple of FDNY members who live in Gerritsen Beach who are also Volley's with GBFD. And it's a 2-way relationship that GBFD has with FDNY. On more than one occasion GBFD has responded on mutual aid calls to other parts of Brooklyn and indeed the entire city. Examples are last month when GBFD provided one of its 2 ambulances to respond as needed citywide to augment FDNY's July 4 effort, and on Sep 17, 2018 when they were called on the ticket to respond on the 4th alarm to what ended up as a 7-alarm fire in the Kings Plaza parking garage (https://nycfire.net/forums/threads/9-17-18-brooklyn-7th-alarm-box-3073.54218/). Also, whenever there's a brush fire in their neighborhood, you can bet they'll be there with their engine and ATV. So FDNY definitely does NOT consider them to be less than full-fledged firefighters and EMTs.
!.jpg!!.jpg!!!.jpg

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I was at a fire once and it was an old 19th Century building with a fire in the 3rd floor and into the attic. It was about 4 in the morning and we had about 6 inches of snow on the ground and still snowing. The chief ordered a crew of 3 career firefighters to the peaked roof to open it up. Granted they were a young crew but were a top notch crew who also doubled as paramedics for the department. They were all thought of highly. Anyway, we didn't get a lot of fires and this crew wasn't experienced in venting a peaked roof in the middle of the night with limited visibility and snow coming down. Everything was slippery. They managed to get the ladder up and got the roof ladder in position. They decided to take two saws (1 chain & 1 K-12) to the roof. While up there, they were slip sliding around even with the roof ladder. They flooded the K-12 saw and then started cutting with the chain saw and managed to get it stuck and it stalled. No question, it was a tough assignment, but the heat and smoke on the 3rd floor and attic called for a vent hole.

The chief was in front and watching what was going on. Two brothers, who owned a tree service company came walking up to the command post. They were volunteers. The chief had a light-bulb go off and he asked the brothers, "Can you go up there and help them open the roof?" These guys lived daily using ladders, ropes, chain saws and were used to working in all conditions in high places. They were like sure! They disappeared for a minute and came back with some ropes, a 2nd roof ladder and a 6 foot pike-pole (the crew on the roof forgot the pike-pole). They climbed up the ladder and made their way up to the crew on the roof. One brother went up to the peak and crawled across about 6 feet and placed the additional roof ladder there. They asked the career firefighters to tie a rope to the top rung of each roof ladder. The brothers each tied a quick hitch to their wastes to secure them. They then took the pike-pole and stretched it across the 6 foot span between the two roof ladders and worked from top to bottom, using it as a plow to clear the majority of the snow of the area they wanted to work. One of them grabbed the K-12 and got it to start. The other brother was able to extricate the chain saw. They tied a rope to the K-12 and one brother cut on one side of the roof and across 1/2 the top & bottom. He then shut off the saw and his brother dragged it by the rope to his side. He cut the other side of the roof and across the top and bottom. They then used a Halligan tool and the pike pole and pulled the roof up and the smoke came pouring out.

Everyone came down off the roof and the fire was quickly brought under control. The three career firefighters came down with a sheepish look on their faces. No one bragged, no one poked fun, nothing was said. Later, back at the firehouse the career firefighters thanked the brothers for bailing them out. One of the brothers said, "That's what we do everyday! Hey, if I'm having a heart attack I want you guys showing up at my house." The following drill night, the chief had the brothers work with everyone (career & volunteer) on saw work, ladder work, and rope work. The next drill night, the three career firefighters worked with everyone (career & volunteer) on pump operations. I know, long story, but the moral of the story is that we're all just human. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. As long as everyone is trained to a minimum standard to be able to perform safely on the fireground, then a smart chief will assign people with certain skills to perform certain functions! If the person with a certain skill isn't there, then you do the best you can as a team!