9/19/20 Water Rescue on Randalls Island

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos

5 Year old fell into the water and never came up. 3 Adults went in after him, they were rescued.

Rundown:
E-83,35,59,91
L-29,14
B-12
R-1,3,4
Sq-41
RB,SB
Tac-1
CTU
M-4,6
MB

Box in the Bronx:
E60
L17
B14

Last edited:
I've had a good bit of domestic and international experience in places where normal people don't go and seen a good bit of tragedy, but I just can't wrap my head around how the hell you folks of EMS, (any) FD and (any) PD do the job hour after hour, day after day. I assume USCG is involved in this search and include them in those thoughts. Any time a child is injured is a time for prayer for all involved.

Prayers. I thought all the NYPD ESU Trucks had Divers on them? Why does the NYPD Helicopter bring Divers then?

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Prayers. I thought all the NYPD ESU Trucks had Divers on them? Why does the NYPD Helicopter bring Divers then?
PD aviation can, for the most part, be on scene faster than ESU and ready to go faster than ESU. For the East river helicopter crash 2 years ago, PD had divers in the water within 15 minutes thanks to their aviation unit.

for reference look at 6:30 in this video:

PD aviation can, for the most part, be on scene faster than ESU and ready to go faster than ESU. For the East river helicopter crash 2 years ago, PD had divers in the water within 15 minutes thanks to their aviation unit.

for reference look at 6:30 in this video:
I was not complaining I have Friends on ESU was just wondering that's all.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
I was not complaining I have Friends on ESU was just wondering that's all.
Didn’t think u were :) just wanted to give a little context as to why the aviation unit and their divers is so helpful. Also another thing, they’re great for off shore rescues too. where other divers will take a lot longer to reach.

Another major factor , NYPD ESU as well as the FDNY Rescue Companies have many, many different responsibilities , and scuba diving is just one of them. Also scuba rescue is a low occurrence, high risk operation . The NYPD divers that are stationed at Floyd Bennett field and are assigned to the Air Sea Rescue do only one thing...SCUBA RESCUE ! And they are very good at it . Also responding via a helo ,give them a huge advantage...they can be on scene almost anywhere in the city in less then 10 mins.