A LOOK BACK.

811 said:
"On The Job" the FDNY television training program was broadcast on Channel 31, then known as WUHF. An article in WNYF (1st/1962) covers the program's inception, early program topics, and brief instructions on how to adapt your television set to receive it.

A follow up  piece in WNYF (2nd/1965), page 15, gives a larger list of early programs and says that they were to be broadcast from the Municipal Building over WNYC on Channel 31 UHF on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday evenings at 7.30pm. The early logo pictured here

Perhaps I should post this in "War years veteran" death notification. But since "On the Job" is mentioned here, I will pass along the death of retired Lieut. Richard "Dick" Nagel. Dick produced the OTJ series. He passed away December 2018, lived in northern Westchester. Dick  was an actor, director and producer. Most importantly a loving dad and husband.

I met Dick in Montour Falls NY back in early 2003. Dick was the Director of the NYS Firefighter Training Center there. I had recently retired and wanted to "stay in the game" so to speak. So I signed up for the six day "Firefighter Instructor Methodology" course that is seldom given. The course required you to stay on campus at this pre-war converted convent for the duration of the course. I lived about 5 hours away, so that worked for me. On my first day, I arrived early, walking through the empty halls I noticed a patch collection on the walls and was taking it in. Dick came early too, approached me and introduced himself. I mentioned I just retired from the FDNY, he lit up! We immediately began exchanging stories. You see, far and few FDNY members took these NYS courses. Needless to say, we hit it off. We spent lunch and most of the down time chatting about the job. He was very passionate and excited to recall the yester-years. We enjoyed each others late night chit-chats, (Dick also stayed on campus as he also lived about five hours away). I told him that I signed up for the fire instructor class and would be missing my retirement party that was put together after I enrolled into the class. There was about eight other brothers retiring, so I did not think I would be missed, furthermore, this class would not be held for another year. I was looking ahead. Anyway, at the end of the school day and my "retirement party date" Dick say's "let's get out of here"- meaning the academy. We escaped in his white caddy to the local town. He and I spent a wonderful evening at the local Red Lobster eating like Kings, sipping scotch, sharing stories and laughing to no end. Dick would not let me go near my pocket! A very special ending to my career shared with a very special new friend.

Thanks Dick, you were a very kind and fine gentleman. I wished I could have known you longer. Rest in peace, Boss.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-06-07-47-12-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-06-07-47-12-1.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 419
I remember watching "On The Job" on black/white TV. I lived in Bridgeport about 60 miles from NYC. I used to watch it on Channel 31 (?) there.

mack

Administrator
JohnnyGage said:
811 said:
"On The Job" the FDNY television training program was broadcast on Channel 31, then known as WUHF. An article in WNYF (1st/1962) covers the program's inception, early program topics, and brief instructions on how to adapt your television set to receive it.

A follow up  piece in WNYF (2nd/1965), page 15, gives a larger list of early programs and says that they were to be broadcast from the Municipal Building over WNYC on Channel 31 UHF on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday evenings at 7.30pm. The early logo pictured here

Perhaps I should post this in "War years veteran" death notification. But since "On the Job" is mentioned here, I will pass along the death of retired Lieut. Richard "Dick" Nagel. Dick produced the OTJ series. He passed away December 2018, lived in northern Westchester. Dick  was an actor, director and producer. Most importantly a loving dad and husband.

I met Dick in Montour Falls NY back in early 2003. Dick was the Director of the NYS Firefighter Training Center there. I had recently retired and wanted to "stay in the game" so to speak. So I signed up for the six day "Firefighter Instructor Methodology" course that is seldom given. The course required you to stay on campus at this pre-war converted convent for the duration of the course. I lived about 5 hours away, so that worked for me. On my first day, I arrived early, walking through the empty halls I noticed a patch collection on the walls and was taking it in. Dick came early too, approached me and introduced himself. I mentioned I just retired from the FDNY, he lit up! We immediately began exchanging stories. You see, far and few FDNY members took these NYS courses. Needless to say, we hit it off. We spent lunch and most of the down time chatting about the job. He was very passionate and excited to recall the yester-years. We enjoyed each others late night chit-chats, (Dick also stayed on campus as he also lived about five hours away). I told him that I signed up for the fire instructor class and would be missing my retirement party that was put together after I enrolled into the class. There was about eight other brothers retiring, so I did not think I would be missed, furthermore, this class would not be held for another year. I was looking ahead. Anyway, at the end of the school day and my "retirement party date" Dick say's "let's get out of here"- meaning the academy. We escaped in his white caddy to the local town. He and I spent a wonderful evening at the local Red Lobster eating like Kings, sipping scotch, sharing stories and laughing to no end. Dick would not let me go near my pocket! A very special ending to my career shared with a very special new friend.

Thanks Dick, you were a very kind and fine gentleman. I wished I could have known you longer. Rest in peace, Boss.

Screenshot-2019-03-04-22-06-56-1.png

Chief Dick Nagle - RIP

dick-naglebw.jpg

CONTINUED REST IN PEACE TO ALL.....  https://www.nytimes.com/1976/02/09/archives/3-firemen-killed-at-queens-blaze-6-others-are-hurt-as-roof.html

15 1983  BX & MIDTOWN PHOTOS.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Apparatus-Slides-15-FDNY-working-a-job-in-1982/133018031298?hash=item1ef87e14c2:g:~usAAOSw1VxcrSIW

Good ol' days photo....check out the "buff", sombody may have brought their future firefighter son to work...

^^^^^^Wait a minute, employing my basic detective skills; the bat..., the glove....could it be future R3 Brother "69Mets"?

JohnnyGage said:
^^^^^^Wait a minute, employing my basic detective skills; the bat..., the glove....could it be future R3 Brother "69Mets"?
JohnnyGage said:
Good ol' days photo....check out the "buff", sombody may have brought their future firefighter son to work...

I'm not too sure "JohnnyGage" but is it "69METs" - OR- could it be this site owner, now FDNY Lt Tommy B, aka "tbendick" ?

The only reason I think maybe "tbendick" because it looks to be Engine 23 and I know his father, Retired Capt John B "jbendick" who worked at Engine 23, used to take his son Tommy B to ride with him.

But either one, "69METS" - OR - "tbendick", both followed in their fathers footsteps. Both "into the job", and being well respected members of the FDNY.

Another interesting point is that "69METS" worked with then Firefighter John B (Retired Capt John B) at the "animal house" (E75/L33/B19) as it was nicknamed then on Jerome Ave.

By the way Dan, aka "JohnnyGage", guys are telling me how much they appreciate your stories of Glory Days. Seems you got plenty of fans out there.

I agree with you, Willy. JohnyGage's posts have been interesting, informative and in many cases humorous.  He's a great addition to the site, and I have the impression that he couldn't be bribed with a couple of Big Macs . . . unlike some others who shall remain nameless.

Thank you gents for your kind thoughts!... Big Macs, white castle, fuhgetaboutit, I'd fold like a cheap suit!, two staples of life....Glad you enjoy the articles...I have only touched the surface. After dinner, well maybe before... a couple of JWB, I sit in my recliner with my little black cat on my lap and type away, thinking about the Glory Days...Recollections  of Glory Days pour into my coconut, so many I had to list my stories into a journal to relieve my brain...believe me when I say; we have only touched the tip of the iceberg!..I have more crazy recollections of  "TT", "Profiles", "Odd couples", "Vacants", "Car fires", "Meals" and the defining moment of what "Glory Days" meant to me...plus more...they are already in the can! ...I appreciate all feedback, it is very encouraging...thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy, and stay tuned, the crazy stories have just started!

But today, it is a special day, a special Birthday! Best, John...

And as always, thanks Willy for giving me the opportunity and forum to release these stories, my wife has had enough (insert eye roll here), God bless her! Best to all...
JohnnyGage

Came upon this photo in a forum called "The Bronx Board", unknown who took the pic, but it's a FDNY tiller turning onto 180 St off of Mapes Avenue. I m going to assume it is L 38, back then they had a very large first due area. During those years, the next nearest truck company would have been L 27...still a distance from this corner.

JohnnyGage said:
Came upon this photo in a forum called "The Bronx Board", unknown who took the pic, but it's a FDNY tiller turning onto 180 St off of Mapes Avenue. I m going to assume it is L 38, back then they had a very large first due area. During those years, the next nearest truck company would have been L 27...still a distance from this corner.
  The rig seen here is a 1937 Seagrave 85ft. stick so it must be L27. The only other Bronx Ladder co. that was assigned a 1937 Seagrave was L31. L38 was running with a 1921 ALF 75ft. with a 1932 FWD tractor. ;)

^^^^^^Thanks G-man!  See? what do I know...I am so impressed with the depth of historical facts and knowledge coming from this fine network!  I look forward to discovering something new and exciting evertime I log on...It seems every contributor has their specialty; JK with a huge historic fdny background information, memorymaster with deep history of fdny in queens and SI,  mack with historical factual pages upon pages of fire company history, Guitarman with deep apparatus history, Willy with all the greasy spoons in daBronx...

Its a pleasure to be a small part of this wonderful group!

alright, alright, already - enough with the nicey nicey stuff JG - we're all sitting around waiting for that can of yours to pop open and toss out another pearl of entertainment for us. Keep signing in and nothing from JohnnyG - what the heck! It's like when I was a kid and came time for "Have Gun Will Travel" with my main man Paladin to come on and the freakin' tv is on the fritz again - scrambly picture, can't get the vertical hold to actually hold - tweaking the aluminum foil antennae ears isn't working and now I gotta go listen to Cousin Brucie on the transistor radio instead. Bruce Morrow was good but he wasn't Paladin - the knight without armor in a savage land. Same with you JG, nobody's here is taking your place - right now there's a lot of Good Guys, but as for me - your the new Paladin.   

Wowzer! Your wish is my command, check out Glory Days in a few minutes for more fun action. Paladin? What company was he in?......

Not sure JohnnyG, but Paladin mighta been a chief in the San Francisco FD, think his aide/driver was "Hey Boy" - guess he had a lotta comp time because he wasn't around that often, had some other work to tend to - think the SFFD dispatcher was often heard trying to reach Paladin, asking him "Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam"? I don't think he ever answered.
Thanks for the latest Glory Days - always enjoyable reading!!!

8060rock said:
Not sure JohnnyG, but Paladin mighta been a chief in the San Francisco FD, think his aide/driver was "Hey Boy" - guess he had a lotta comp time because he wasn't around that often, had some other work to tend to - think the SFFD dispatcher was often heard trying to reach Paladin, asking him "Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam"? I don't think he ever answered.
Thanks for the latest Glory Days - always enjoyable reading!!!

Of course he answered! He said "far, far from home", didn't he? And  you're right . . . always enjoyable reading.