A couple more pictures....

Attachments

• FDNY Ambulancesm.jpg
    FDNY Ambulancesm.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 792
  • 1951 WLFsm.jpg
    1951 WLFsm.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 775
The Empire State building was built under what became the 1938 NYC Building Code. A cubic foot of construction material weighed approx. 24 pounds. The World Trade Center was built under the 1968 NYC Building Code. A cubic foot of construction material weighed approx. 8 pounds. We would joke at times that unlike the Empire Building crash a bomber hitting a 68 code building would just fly into it cross the floor and out the other side. They won't show the 9/11 video's of the planes hitting the towers any longer but if you remember the planes actually flew into the building and then exploded inside. If they had hit the Empire State most of the plane probably would have fell to the street. They also banked the planes before hitting the towers so they would impact on multiple floors, this would have greatly increased the "wall" they would have hit doing the same with the Empire State. Building codes are changed to save money with new found construction material(s) and application, fire safety is given little consideration, only when mandated and after lengthy fights.

".........." Thank You for that info on the construction....it is a shame that Fire & Life safety is not paramount.

68 years ago today! My dad had a small piece (fist size) of the plane's engine in his drawer at home. When he passed away in 1987 my mom was cleaning stuff out and I asked her where that piece was and her reply was "Oh, I threw that junk out."  Oh well :(

I believe a couple of plane parts are on display in the quarters of the Fire Bell Club on East 23rd Street.

The firefighter pictured in 31 is Tom Kennedy, retired as a DC many years ago. The BC responding with the 27 is Chief Manning (RIP). 82's picture is from left to right Phil Vargos (RIP) drove Lt. Andrade for many years, the tall guy with his back to camera would have to guess that it is Charlie McCarthy L31, and the ff on the end looks like Danny Gainey (RIP), later transferred into 31. My guess would be that the picture is before 74, probably around 70 or 71.

68jk09 said:
Amazing how much the city's changed from what it was 30-40 years ago. Particularly areas like the South Bronx and Times Square.

My father remembers going in and out of Grand Central coming down from CT and going out to concerts at the Garden. Not exactly what you would call safe. Port Authority Bus Terminal was even worse.

fdny1075k said:
68jk09 said:
Amazing how much the city's changed from what it was 30-40 years ago. Particularly areas like the South Bronx and Times Square.

My father remembers going in and out of Grand Central coming down from CT and going out to concerts at the Garden. Not exactly what you would call safe. Port Authority Bus Terminal was even worse.

Looking at those pictures today, it's hard to believe that things were so bad then.

Recently myself and Bxboro took a ride through some of the streets in the South Bronx and Harlem. Streets that were once all looking like these photos. There would be blocks of vacant or burned out buildings. On our visit, we saw ONE VACANT 4 brick. And that will probably be rehabbed soon.

In the area of the police pct, I think it's the 42 where they filmed part of the movie "Fort Apache the Bronx" there was once an old large vacant courthouse building. That is gone and replaced with a high rise glass building that I believe is used by a college. It has green lawns and water spraying from a fountain.

A little ways from there at the lower end of Webster Ave is what used to be an old abondoned factory that was the scene of many fires. That has been made into a Days Inn Motel. There is no burned out cars, no piles of rubbish, no graffiti.

Whatever somebody did to change things so much from the 70s and 80s, to what it is today, they sure did something right. And if they can do it in NYC, they can do it today in Detroit.

Believe it or not, I live near the 42 Pct. The closest fire alarm box to my residence is 2323. I believe the street used to be referred to as 'gasoline alley' during the way years. I recall reading here that 2323 was one of the busier boxes during those years.

The old vacant court house is still there, where St. Ann's Ave and Third Ave meet, behind that new glass building. That building is Boricua College. There are also fairly new apartment buildings there, along Third Ave running from 161 St to 163 St.

There is still an old vacant warehouse behind the Days Inn, on Brook Ave. I've seen L.19 drilling there a few times.

There are also new apartment buildings along St. Ann's Ave and Eagle Ave, between 156 St and 160 St and on 161 st, Between Courtlandt and Melrose and then from Melrose to Elton.

The St. Mary's, Jackson, McKinley and Forest houses are nearby and I'm always amazed at the number of runs I hear for these buildings. It seems like there's compactor fires everyday at one or each of these buildings.

The Morris and Morrisania houses are just a bit further up on Washington, near the quarters of E.50/L.19/BC.26, and those are some very rough places.

minerva14road said:
Believe it or not, I live near the 42 Pct. The closest fire alarm box to my residence is 2323. I believe the street used to be referred to as 'gasoline alley' during the way years. I recall reading here that 2323 was one of the busier boxes during those years.

The old vacant court house is still there, where St. Ann's Ave and Third Ave meet, behind that new glass building. That building is Boricua College. There are also fairly new apartment buildings there, along Third Ave running from 161 St to 163 St.

There is still an old vacant warehouse behind the Days Inn, on Brook Ave. I've seen L.19 drilling there a few times.

There are also new apartment buildings along St. Ann's Ave and Eagle Ave, between 156 St and 160 St and on 161 st, Between Courtlandt and Melrose and then from Melrose to Elton.

The St. Mary's, Jackson, McKinley and Forest houses are nearby and I'm always amazed at the number of runs I hear for these buildings. It seems like there's compactor fires everyday at one or each of these buildings.

The Morris and Morrisania houses are just a bit further up on Washington, near the quarters of E.50/L.19/BC.26, and those are some very rough places.
I've heard that the Third Ave corridor between the Cross Bronx Expwy and Claremont Pkwy was referred to as "Gasoline Alley" during the day.