A LOOK BACK.

Those fire reports are awesome!  How long did "Third Alarm" publish?  I am struck by the initial alarm assignments: was it standard procedure to send only what was available of the assignment, or did they ask the BC as they do nowadays if the reduced assignment was sufficient?

mack

Administrator
Chief - newsletters is great.  A different era.

- 90 multiples in month!!!!
- Page 11 - Box 1669 - Deputy orders 2nd alarm companies to "respond in with masks".  1968 - companies had masks but use was not mandatory.  Imagine 3 or 4 fires a night without using a mask. 
- ID cards for auxiliaries

Thank you 68 for the memories. Worked with many of the names listed. Came on the job in 1960. 100 runs a month with 50 workers (9-2's, rubbish etc.) was busy. When you read the stats for 1967 and see the workload change in those few years, it is startling. Again, was the best of times and the worst of times. Working with those firefighters those years was priceless, unfortunately many paid a heavy price, as did their families.

Thanks Chief for that info.  Brings back lots of memories: Captain Lindgren was my boss at E 248 and the one who signed me up as an Aux.  Capt. Kromer(L147), Capt. Cartossa(L 157), and Capt. Penta (L148) were all gentlemen that I worked with while responding with E 248.  Newsletter also mentions DC Delaney being transferred from D 8 to D 3; he made Deputy when working in B 41 and I had many fires with him.  All great firefighters and a pleasure to work with.

johnd248 said:
Thanks Chief for that info.  Brings back lots of memories: Captain Lindgren was my boss at E 248 and the one who signed me up as an Aux.  Capt. Kromer(L147), Capt. Cartossa(L 157), and Capt. Penta (L148) were all gentlemen that I worked with while responding with E 248.  Newsletter also mentions DC Delaney being transferred from D 8 to D 3; he made Deputy when working in B 41 and I had many fires with him.  All great firefighters and a pleasure to work with.

I would just like to mention that Captain Lindgren (RIP) is the father of "69Mets", also a retired FDNY Member. Also, I believe that "macks" father was assigned as an officer and B/C there (Eng 248/B41).

Bronx72 said:
Those fire reports are awesome!  How long did "Third Alarm" publish?  I am struck by the initial alarm assignments: was it standard procedure to send only what was available of the assignment, or did they ask the BC as they do nowadays if the reduced assignment was sufficient?
.....back in those days rarely did the I.C. ask for additional Units before arriving on the scene....when it was busy it was not uncommon to have no BC & 1&1 responding.....i remember boxes where BKLYN would tell SQ*3 ...you ARE the Truck" sending only the SQ & an Eng on a box.....in the early '60s prior to the 10-30 /10-75 it was not uncommon to hear a box announced on the air  then not hearing anything for quite awhile untill the BN would come on & say ..."we are using All Hands"....sometime nothing was said at all after the box announcement then the next transmission quite sometime later would be  .."transmit a Second" w/nothing in between (this of course was on boxes that had at least 3&2 going in due to all being available)......i think in BKLYN the 44*BN was the 1st to start using terms like "we have a Job" on arrival....i think this came from Boston ......."smoke & Fire showin strike the box"  (CPT. Hurley.. Rescue Pumper).   

mack

Administrator
"Transmit the box" seemed to be a common radio message used by units for a working fire before the 10-30 and 10-75 signals were initiated.   

Boston FD units used term "smoke showing" and requested "box to be struck" when they had a fire.  Currently, Boston Fire Alarm still uses term "striking box xxxx"  when announcing full first alarm assignment.

Boston MA Three Alarm Fire 1 of 2 1/4/10

http://www.pbase.com/edpop/wnyf_cartoons

http://www.pbase.com/edpop/wnyf_cartoons_vol_ii
Excellent posting of some cartoon's not seen in years....my favorite is IMG 0051 concerning the pump panel....it was true when it was first printed but even more so in 2012........IMG 0116 " turn that handle some more" is a good one......IMG 0050 sub cellar is reminiscent of one of the greatest Fire Officer's OTJ....CPT Fred Gallagher R*2 '74 to '80..."Just give us enough line & we will put out the bowels of hell"

guitarman314 said:
Is that efd274 & kfd274 on Image 09993? ??? ;D

That's us!!

And one of the heros is Captain August H.  "Buddy"  Fritz.    One of the best.  A friend and mentor.  RIP Cap.

A great piece of history! The Super Pumper and Searchlight Units were still in service, the War Years were going on, 90 multi-alarm jobs in one month, and of course, FDNY Bronx Engine 82 with the most runs, and Ladder 31 with the third most runs. Busiest Divisions: 4th, 6th, and 15th(the hot spots). Great rundowns too!

Quick question, I see Ambulance 1, was that an FDNY bus pre-merger with NYC EMS? Also, were there only two tower ladders at that time(1 & 14) or was there also one in Brooklyn?

fdny1075k said:
A great piece of history! The Super Pumper and Searchlight Units were still in service, the War Years were going on, 90 multi-alarm jobs in one month, and of course, FDNY Bronx Engine 82 with the most runs, and Ladder 31 with the third most runs. Busiest Divisions: 4th, 6th, and 15th(the hot spots). Great rundowns too!

Quick question, I see Ambulance 1, was that an FDNY bus pre-merger with NYC EMS? Also, were there only two tower ladders at that time(1 & 14) or was there also one in Brooklyn?

As I remember, Ambulance 1 was a piece of FDNY apparatus. It was not a part of the NYC EMS. And as I remember  the two first tower ladders assigned to TL 1 and TL 14 (Macks) both in Manhattan. At the time, there was no Tower Ladder in Brooklyn. As John said, later TL 105 was assigned a Tower Ladder.

I also believe that it was TL 119, and TL 14 that recieved the only two Sutphen Tower Ladders. I think there's pictures somewhere on this site of them. The others that were different was the ALF rearmount TL's that 14 and 163 recieved.