Across the River in NJ

According to the Manhattan Dispatcher

New Jersey has (4) Jobs going on (2) are multiple alarms

DB996714-8275-4E59-A65E-AEA5F940FF19.jpeg

“{ NHRF&R 6TH ALARM FIRE }”…..”{ NORTH HUDSON REGIONAL FIRE AND RESCUE DEPARTMENT, ALONG WITH MULTIPLE MUTUAL AID COMPANIES, BATTLING A MAJOR 6TH ALARM FIRE IN 2 MULTIPLE DWELLINGS ON JANE STREET IN WEEHAWKEN, NEW JERSEY }”…..

Weehawken, NJ 6th Alarm Full Involved House Fire Multiple Mutual Aid Towns Operating at Scene
Another great video by Skyler.

Was puzzled how NH Ladder 4 (tiller) got in the front of the fire building since they would normally not be first due truck. Their firehouse in West New York is about 12 minutes away. (I used to live around the corner from that firehouse). Skyler mentioned that there was another multi alarm close by in Union City at the same time that NHRFR had responded to first.

Skyler again demonstrated his knowledge of the north Jersey area as he walked around the scene pointing out the units from the various municipalities that responded (Skyler has a rundown in the video he posted on YouTube). Must have kept the dispatchers super busy coordinating the mutual aid response/relocations.

Last edited:
Another great video by Skyler.

Was puzzled how NH Ladder 4 (tiller) got in the front of the fire building since they would normally not be first due truck. Their firehouse in West New York is about 12 minutes away. (I used to live around the corner from that firehouse). Skyler mentioned that there was another multi alarm close by in Union City at the same time that NHRFR had responded to first.

Skyler again demonstrated his knowledge of the north Jersey area as he walked around the scene pointing out the units from the various municipalities that responded (Skyler has a rundown in the video he posted on YouTube). Must have kept the dispatchers super busy coordinating the mutual aid response/relocations.
Thanks! North Hudson was one of the Departments I use to buff alot when I was younger, they all still remember me and have plenty of friends still on the job there. Just for everyone else North Hudson is 5 Towns running 6 Engines, 4 Squads (1) is a Quint, 4 Ladders (1) is a tower rest are tillers. 1 Rescue, 3 Battalions 1 Division and a Safety Officer. They are all very densely populated towns with tight streets and close exposures. In 2010 they closed L2 and SQ6 which is really needed they still have manpower issues with riding 3 man engines barley getting 4 on the ladders and rescue. I believe it’s in the 8k range for calls for the year.

Thanks! North Hudson was one of the Departments I use to buff alot when I was younger, they all still remember me and have plenty of friends still on the job there. Just for everyone else North Hudson is 5 Towns running 6 Engines, 4 Squads (1) is a Quint, 4 Ladders (1) is a tower rest are tillers. 1 Rescue, 3 Battalions 1 Division and a Safety Officer. They are all very densely populated towns with tight streets and close exposures. In 2010 they closed L2 and SQ6 which is really needed they still have manpower issues with riding 3 man engines barley getting 4 on the ladders and rescue. I believe it’s in the 8k range for calls for the year.
Copy of the rundown for the Weehawken fire from Skyler's video on YouTube. Note that there were only 3 engines/squad, and 1 truck on the initial response. They had to wait for the units from Jersey City to fill out the first alarm per the "working fire" (10-75). Higher alarm responses were all from out of town.

1st Alarm: E3 E5 SQ10 L4 BC2
Working Fire: Jersey City E7 E11 L3 BC3
2nd Alarm: Hoboken E1 L1 BC
3rd Alarm: Bayonne E6 E7 L3 BC
4th Alarm: Kearny E1 LT2 DC3
5th Alarm: Belleville E2 Bloomfield E3 Montclair L1
6th Alarm: Elizabeth E1 Rahway E4 Union L2

Coverage (Relocations)
1st Battalion Orange E4 Cedar Grove E72 South Essex TL31
2nd Battalion Passaic E2 Clifton E4 Paterson LT1
3rd Battalion East Rutherford E2 Carlstadt E2 Ridgefield Park L1

Great videos some of the best out there. In FDNY during the "War Years" some regular Ladder Cos. had what was called a "Kelsey Mount" located on the rear of the cab or below where the aerial ladder was normally bedded. The aerial ladder was often in front of the fire building for rescue and to allow access to the roof and upper floors. The "Kelsey Mount" allowed a portable Muiltversal, OR Stang, Large caliber Stream device, to be attached to the ladder companies rig, in a secure position right in front of the fire building. I also saw Stang Large caliber stream devices semi-permanently attached to the roof of Tower Ladders, for the same reason. Some Photos below: #1 Accurate Model of FDNY TL-14 in 1970s'
#2 FDNY Ladder 5 in 1960s, #3 FDNY Ladder 108 members using a 2 1/2" hose line from the wooden cab roof. 1960s or 1970s
#4 Saint Louis FD H&L 2 using a Stang mounted in the ladder bed in 1990s or 1980s.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired

Attachments

• FDNY TL-14 Mack TL with Stang on Cab roof in HO.jpg
    FDNY TL-14 Mack TL with Stang on Cab roof in HO.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 20
  • FDNY L-5 ALF 1960s NOTE Multiversal Behind Cab.jpg
    FDNY L-5 ALF 1960s NOTE Multiversal Behind Cab.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FDNY L-108 2.5 Hose from Aerial Cab Roof At Collapse 11-1-68.jpg
    FDNY L-108 2.5 Hose from Aerial Cab Roof At Collapse 11-1-68.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 18
  • St. Louis FD H&L 2 Stange & TL in Op..jpg
    St. Louis FD H&L 2 Stange & TL in Op..jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 18
Copy of the rundown for the Weehawken fire from Skyler's video on YouTube. Note that there were only 3 engines/squad, and 1 truck on the initial response. They had to wait for the units from Jersey City to fill out the first alarm per the "working fire" (10-75). Higher alarm responses were all from out of town.

1st Alarm: E3 E5 SQ10 L4 BC2
Working Fire: Jersey City E7 E11 L3 BC3
2nd Alarm: Hoboken E1 L1 BC
3rd Alarm: Bayonne E6 E7 L3 BC
4th Alarm: Kearny E1 LT2 DC3
5th Alarm: Belleville E2 Bloomfield E3 Montclair L1
6th Alarm: Elizabeth E1 Rahway E4 Union L2

Coverage (Relocations)
1st Battalion Orange E4 Cedar Grove E72 South Essex TL31
2nd Battalion Passaic E2 Clifton E4 Paterson LT1
3rd Battalion East Rutherford E2 Carlstadt E2 Ridgefield Park L1
Does anyone have the rundown for the initial jobs and multiple in Union?
Were any of the Mutual Aid companies on Jane St already in town covering for the earlier fires and multiple in Union?
No mention of FDNY, even though they are much closer than Bayonne, Elizabeth, Belleville, Bloomfield, etc.

Were any of the Mutual Aid companies on Jane St already in town covering for the earlier fires and multiple in Union?
No mention of FDNY, even though they are much closer than Bayonne, Elizabeth, Belleville, Bloomfield, etc.
8th street came in 2mins before Jane street….

For the Union City 8th St. job, I only caught the North Hudson units on the 1st and 2nd alarms. The rest were mutual aid companies which I didn’t hear announced over the air.

1st Alarm: E1 E4, SQ1 SQ 2, L1 L3, Rescue, Bn1, Deputy, Safety
Working Fire: E9, Bn3
2nd Alarm: E13, L5