An ambulance/pumper?

The problem is that having an ambulance body to it it doesnt carry water and if it has a booster tank it cant be that big.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Certainly another problem is that they do not have a hose bed.  I guess their intent is just to be a initial attack unit if they arrive first on scene but they are even limited in this use because the cab only have space for two crew members.  I was thinking what it would be a good unit to respond to accidents with but they don't appear to have enough compartment space to carry extrication equipment and with a crew of two they would be very limited.

They certainly are an unusual piece of equipment.  I've seen some engine companies from the upper Midwest that are set up to carry a patient in the rear portion of the cab but other than that they are set up just like a normal engine company and can perform all the duties of such.

What happens if you have a patient in need of immediate transport? Do you disconnect hoselines and abandon fire suppression? ???

That's a good point.  However, in some localities (where I am in Virginia/suburban DC) the occurences of a job (working fire) a far and few between.  EMS runs?  A dime a dozen.

Another question is why would they want such a large, lumbering, heavy, fuel thirsty vehicle for an ambulance?

Call me old fashioned but i think an ambulance should be dedicated for EMS. Ive also heard some departments equip hurst tools on ambulances.

If it's big, expensive, cumbersome and dysfunctional, some ding-dong in my Dept. will want it

mack

Administrator
Make it amphibious and add a tower ladder.  Then the unit can do anything.  Sometimes when you add functions to tools, equipment  or units, they can do a lot of things - but nothing well.  I liked my Swiss Army Knife but would rather use power tools for construction jobs and real corkscrew to open bottles of wine on New Years Eve. 

If this unit gets a medical run and has to transport, they are OOS for 2 hours.  Medical calls require assessment, initial stabilization/treatment, transport, hospital time/treatment documentation/cleaning unit/restocking.  If they don't transport and still have to call a plain old EMS ambulance unit to transport, why buy the unit in the first place?

Assigned members riding unit need to be certified as both firefighter and EMT or medic.  You may limit assignment of assignment of personnel unless everyone in department is trained and certified in both suppression and medical areas. 

vbcapt said:
If it's big, expensive, cumbersome and dysfunctional, some ding-dong in my Dept. will want it
.....We have somebody in our Dept who would probably buy it.......good match for the Chiefs rigs etc.

Yeah, don't let Bloomberg see it, he'll disband 50 engine companies and replace them with 2 man EMS units with pumps. ;D