ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

A MEMORIAL MASS HAS BEEN SCHEDULED ......
A Memorial Mass has been scheduled for Retired Captain Ralph Gismondi, LAD*116, following his death from COVID-19 which occurred on 4-5-20......The details are as follows:

Memorial Mass
CPT RALPH GISMONDI LAD*116
Monday, April 5, 2021 @ 1000 hrs.
St. Thomas the Apostle Church
24 Westminister Rd.
West Hempstead, NY...... the following is from my post last year.
RET CPT RALPH T. GISMONDI LAD*116....On 4-5-20 in Franklin Sq, NY after battling the virus ... he RET 10-23-02 after 24 yrs OTJ then became a Jet Blue Flight Attendant .....he was a FF in LAD*104 then FF LAD*10 ... LT in ENG*289 then CPT of LAD*116....Ralph was a pleasant guy & an accomplished Piano Player & Singer who on many occasions "Tickled The Ivories" for the BROTHERS among other places at the old QNS Blvd Elks after UFOA & Company Officers meetings..... whenever someone told me they were flying Jet Blue i always told them to ask the Attendant what they did before hoping they could hook up with Ralph or Ted M. RET 138 knowing they would take care of an FDNY Passenger (actually 27% of Jet Blue Flight attendants are RET FDNY....it never hurts to ask ) his Nephew is a FF in LAD*176 & his Son in Law Phil M. is a LT in LAD*170..... REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Last edited:
A MEMORIAL MASS HAS BEEN SCHEDULED ......
A Memorial Mass has been scheduled for Retired Captain Ralph Gismondi, LAD*116, following his death from COVID-19 which occurred on 4-5-20......The details are as follows:

Memorial Mass
CPT RALPH GISMONDI LAD*116
Monday, April 5, 2021 @ 1000 hrs.
St. Thomas the Apostle Church
24 Westminister Rd.
West Hempstead, NY...... the following is from my post last year.
RET CPT RALPH T. GISMONDI LAD*116....On 4-5-20 in Franklin Sq, NY after battling the virus ... he RET 10-23-02 after 24 yrs OTJ then became a Jet Blue Flight Attendant .....he was a FF in LAD*104 then FF LAD*10 ... LT in ENG*289 then CPT of LAD*116....Ralph was a pleasant guy & an accomplished Piano Player & Singer who on many occasions "Tickled The Ivories" for the BROTHERS among other places at the old QNS Blvd Elks after UFOA & Company Officers meetings..... whenever someone told me they were flying Jet Blue i always told them to ask the Attendant what they did before hoping they could hook up with Ralph or Ted M. RET 138 knowing they would take care of an FDNY Passenger (actually 27% of Jet Blue Flight attendants are RET FDNY....it never hurts to ask ) his Nephew is a FF in LAD*176 & his Son in Law Phil M. is a LT in LAD*170..... REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.
RIP Brother

RET BC HENRY "HANK" ZUERCHER BN*58......
It is with Deep Regret that I announce that Hank Zuercher has Passed To A Higher Level on 3-27-21 at 92 yrs of age.... RET 2-2-93 after 36 yrs OTJ..... Photo & Obit... osheafuneral.com/tribute/details/5202/Henry-Zuercher/service-information.html#tribute-start........Viewing/Visitation: Charles J. O'Shea FH
603 Wantagh Avenue
Wantagh, LI NY
Tuesday 3-30-21 2 - 4 & 7 - 9 PM.....Religious Service at the Funeral Parlor Wednesday 3-31-21 .
Interment: Calverton National Cemetery.... .... .....Hank was appt as a FF in 108 on Siegel St in 1957 ....then a FF in R*2 where during the Constellation Ship Fire in the BKLYN Navy Yard in December 1960 his LT Dick Hamilton R*2 had been overcome below decks & Hank carried him over his shoulder up a straight iron ladder enveloped in high heat & heavy smoke .....when Hank made LT he was in SQ*3 (alongside his Brother Tom Zuercher who was a LT in ENG*230 in the same FH).....when Hank made CPT he returned to 108 on Union Ave during some of the Units busiest years .....I was Honored to be his Chauffer during his time in 108.....he was tough as nails at a Fire & hard to keep up with.....he knew who the hard workers were & would say "do what you think is right & if there is a problem i will back you up"......he continued to be involved in some hairy rescues & was a role model who never boasted & always downplayed what he did..... unfortunately a higher up or two did not like the fact that Hank had so much respect from so many ( or maybe they were jealous of his capabilities).....subsequently Hank was unceremoniously lifted to a slow ENG ..... Hank never said a bad word to us about the lift or about the conspirators but rather he went there & studied & made BC & got a spot in BN*58 where he was also well respected......he spent his life in Gerritsen Beach BKLYN & was a avid boater & always in great shape......REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY & FDNY...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Last edited:
May Chief Zuercher Rest in Peace. May his family and friends be comforted. Thoughts and prayers for those who will miss him.

RET BC HENRY "HANK" ZUERCHER BN*58......
It is with Deep Regret that I announce that Hank Zuercher has Passed To A Higher Level on 3-27-21 at 92 yrs of age.... RET 2-2-93 after 36 yrs OTJ..... Photo & Obit... osheafuneral.com/tribute/details/5202/Henry-Zuercher/service-information.html#tribute-start........Viewing/Visitation: Charles J. O'Shea FH
603 Wantagh Avenue
Wantagh, LI NY
Tuesday 3-30-21 2 - 4 & 7 - 9 PM.....Religious Service at the Funeral Parlor Wednesday 3-31-21 .
Interment: Calverton National Cemetery.... .... .....Hank was appt as a FF in 108 on Siegel St in 1957 ....then a FF in R*2 where during the Constellation Ship Fire in the BKLYN Navy Yard in December 1960 his LT Dick Hamilton R*2 had been overcome below decks & Hank carried him over his shoulder up a straight iron ladder enveloped in high heat & heavy smoke .....when Hank made LT he was in SQ*3 (alongside his Brother Tom Zuercher who was a LT in ENG*230 in the same FH).....when Hank made CPT he returned to 108 on Union Ave during some of the Units busiest years .....I was Honored to be his Chauffer during his time in 108.....he was tough as nails at a Fire & hard to keep up with.....he knew who the hard workers were & would say "do what you think is right & if there is a problem i will back you up"......he continued to be involved in some hairy rescues & was a role model who never boasted & always downplayed what he did..... unfortunately a higher up or two did not like the fact that Hank had so much respect from so many ( or maybe they were jealous of his capabilities).....subsequently Hank was unceremoniously lifted to a slow ENG ..... Hank never said a bad word to us about the lift or about the conspirators but rather he went there & studied & made BC & got a spot in BN*58 where he was also well respected......he spent his life in Gerritsen Beach BKLYN & was a avid boater & always in great shape......REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY & FDNY...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Chief JK, the members of Ladder Co 108, Rescue 2, and Brother FDNY Members,
My condolences to you on the loss of your Brother Firefighter, Retired B/C Henry Zuercher.
I remember reading the story of that rescue at the Constellation Ship Fire when Lt Hamilton got trapped down there.
I would like to add my personnel story and thanks.
Chief Zuercher, because of the rescue that you performed at that ship fire, I got to meet Lt Hamilton R2 back in 1968. Meeting Lt Hamilton (a role model to me) then changed my entire life, as well as my younger brothers life too.
Thank You and Rest in Peace Sir

Chief JK, the members of Ladder Co 108, Rescue 2, and Brother FDNY Members,
My condolences to you on the loss of your Brother Firefighter, Retired B/C Henry Zuercher.
I remember reading the story of that rescue at the Constellation Ship Fire when Lt Hamilton got trapped down there.
I would like to add my personnel story and thanks.
Chief Zuercher, because of the rescue that you performed at that ship fire, I got to meet Lt Hamilton R2 back in 1968. Meeting Lt Hamilton (a role model to me) then changed my entire life, as well as my younger brothers life too.
Thank You and Rest in Peace Sir
RIP Brother.

Alex Donchin's book FIRST DUE page 75 shows Lt. Henry Zuercher (Squad 3) and Lt. Tom Zuercher (Engine 230) operating at 7-5 360 Flushing and Throop Avenues on August 31, 1968.

^^^^ Also in Al Donchin's great book in the lower left corner of page 124 that is Hank on the tip of our Aerial before the whole place lit up.

1617023996187.png
Brooklyn Ladder Company 108 Circa 1950's
Dick Bonadio, Hank Zuercher, Paul Walsh, Lt. Moe Klang, Bill Leghezza, Louie Picone

RET LT NICHOLAS TROIANELLO LAD*15.....WW2 IWO JIMA VETERAN.....
On 3-26-21 at 94 yrs of age...RET 2-3-90 after 40 yrs OTJ
Viewing/Visitation: Scamardella FH
332 Broadway,, SI
Monday 3/29/21 4 - 8 PM
Funeral Mass: St. Michael RC Church
211 Harbor Road SI
Tuesday 3/30/21 10:00 am
Interment: Arlington National Cemetery ..Date to be determined.

OBIT & PHOTO.. obits.silive.com/obituaries/siadvance/obituary.aspx?n=nicholas-m-troianiello&pid=198186049&fhid=26319&f=portal....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (USMC WW2 ) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... .. one of the last Iwo Jima survivors & the last Staten Island Marine Corps League Iwo Jima survivor ....a true part of History.... you served our Country & our Job magnificently .....Burial at Arlington a true & well deserved Honor..... Semper Fi !

RET FF MARTIN M. EAGAN ENG*95...
On 3-26-21 ....RET 7-6-91 after 32 yrs OTJ. ....REST IN PEACE BROTHER...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.
Funeral Service at Cassidy Funeral Home
156 Willis Avenue Mineola, LI
Tuesday 3/30/21 9:00 AM
Funeral Mass: Corpus Christi RC Church
155 Garfield Avenue
Mineola, LI
Tuesday 3/30/21 10:30 AM

MEMORIAL MASS FOR RET FF ROBERT J. LABAS LAD*6 ON SAT 4-17-21....DOD WAS 4-1-2020.

Memorial Mass: St. Thomas the Apostle RC Church
87-19 88th Avenue
Woodhaven, NY
Saturday April 17, 2021 10:30 AM

RET FF / FM MICHAEL J. HANKINS SCTFAD ...... DOD was 4-22-2020 GRAVESIDE SERVICE - BURIAL OF CREMATED REMAINS
Maple Grove Cemetery
127-15 Kew Gardens Rd.
Kew Gardens (Queens) NY
Friday April 2, 2021 10:00 AM

RET FF / FM MICHAEL J. HANKINS SCTFAD ...... DOD was 4-22-2020 GRAVESIDE SERVICE - BURIAL OF CREMATED REMAINS
Maple Grove Cemetery
127-15 Kew Gardens Rd.
Kew Gardens (Queens) NY
RIP BROTHER

Maple Grove Cemetery
127-15 Kew Gardens Rd.
Kew Gardens (Queens) NY
RIP Brother.

IN REGARD TO REPLY # 1683 ABOVE BC HANK ZUERCHER ......
FROM DC JAY JONAS 2017 DV*7 NEWSLETTER.....
" Rescue 2 was called to the scene of the USS Constellation fire from operating at the site
of the plane crash from a
few days earlier at Park
Slope. They were led by Lieutenant Richard
Hamilton.
Upon arrival, Lieutenant Hamilton, Fr. Henry Zuercher, and Fr. Tony Motti made their way to the flight deck. They made their way down to the hanger deck. It is there that they found trapped and endangered workers. Lieutenant Hamilton sent a Firefighter to show them the way through the smoke to the exit to the flight deck.
They came upon a foreman
walking around in the smoke.
He told Lieutenant Hamilton that four of his men were trapped four decks below. Lieutenant Hamilton dispatched Fr. Motti to get a rope and a charged hose line to assist them in the rescue. The metal on the decks was hot. When Lieutenant Hamilton and Firefighter Zuercher made it to the bottom of the ladder, the foreman’s four friends were found
quickly. They were all semi-conscious. The two rescuers tied a bowline on a bight on the rope that was dropped down from Fr. Motti. One by one, the trapped workmen were raised to the upper decks of the ship. Lieutenant Hamilton had taken off his SCBA facepiece to give one of the trapped workers some fresh air. By the time the last worker was raised, Lieutenant Hamilton began to suffer from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. His body was failing. Fr. Zuercher was
able to position Lieutenant Hamilton’s body on top of his shoulders and climb the vertical ladder. Both Firefighters were hospitalized."
'

THE ENTIRE NEWSLETTER.... http://www.fdnysbravest.com/Div7NewsletterNov2017.pdf

Last edited: