ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

RET FF KENNETH E. GREEN LAD*10...ENG*233-2...LAD*108...R*2.... "Just saw on the D.O. paragraph 1.3 www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/resources/do/2021/067_2021_eoe.pdf RET FF Kenny Green has Passed To A Higher Level on 4-2-21 .......Kenny came to 108 from ENG*233-2 when we were still on Seigel St then after a some time on Union Ave he went to R*2 where he shortly after became a victim of "rapid water"....at a job where the rw proportioner malfunctioned & put to much slurry into the water Ken was forcing a door after the line was bled & unexpectedly slipped on the mixture while pulling on his Halligan badly injuring his knee....he had it operated on & right after was told to get up & move around the hospital area but he threw a blood clot into his lung which luckily they resolved .....he was forced out of the Job kicking & screaming that he had to leave......he rehabbed himself & was determined to find another challenging career since he was no longer allowed to be FDNY....he selected the next most dangerous profession in the US listed at that time & became a Hard Hat Ocean Diver.....after doing this for awhile he had to give that up but not ready to quit he then went to work for a Borax Mining Company ( categorized as the third most dangerous occupation in the US back then)....after doing that for awhile he finally sat back & took a more mundane job Bartending......to say the least an interesting career for a good Man.....always a pleasure to work with Kenny back in the day in our groups in 108...while talking to Steve " Whitefish " Ternlund another Siegel Eagle my memory was jogged of a recollection of a weekend that we were all at on Hunter Mountain back in 1973 in his old "One Way House"...... one night about 0400 Ken found an earing that belonged to one of th girl guest's & he said ...."i used to have a pierced ear" & he tried to get the earing thru his lobe but it had closed over...he said to me "see if you can open the hole" ....being it was 0400 all i could find was a BIC pen & a short piece of 2x4 for a hammer .... he bent over the table & put his ear lobe flat on it ....i managed to make a hole in his ear lobe with the pen point (blood all over) & he stuck the earing in .....that was Kenny........ REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Jack Kleehaas."

Last edited:
RET FF KENNETH E. GREEN LAD*10...LAD*108...R*2.... "Just saw on the D.O. paragraph 1.3 www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/resources/do/2021/067_2021_eoe.pdf RET FF Kenny Green has Passed To A Higher Level on 4-2-21 .......Kenny came to 108 from LAD*10 when we were still on Seigel St then after a some time on Union Ave he went to R*2 where he shortly after became a victim of "rapid water"....at a job where the rw proportioner malfunctioned & put to much slurry into the water Ken was forcing a door after the line was bled & unexpectedly slipped on the mixture while pulling on his Halligan badly injuring his knee....he had it operated on & right after was told to get up & move around the hospital area but he threw a blood clot into his lung which luckily they resolved .....he was forced out of the Job kicking & screaming that he had to leave......he rehabbed himself & was determined to find another challenging career since he was no longer allowed to be FDNY....he selected the next most dangerous profession in the US listed at that time & became a Hard Hat Ocean Diver.....after doing this for awhile he had to give that up but not ready to quit he then went to work for a Borax Mining Company ( categorized as the third most dangerous occupation in the US back then)....after doing that for awhile he finally sat back & took a more mundane job Bartending......to say the least an interesting career for a good Man.....always a pleasure to work with Kenny back in the day in our groups in 108...while talking to Steve " Whitefish " Ternlund another Siegel Eagle my memory was jogged of a recollection of a weekend that we were all at on Hunter Mountain back in 1973 in his old "One Way House"...... one night about 0400 Ken found an earing that belonged to one of th girl guest's & he said ...."i used to have a pierced ear" & he tried to get the earing thru his lobe but it had closed over...he said to me "see if you can open the hole" ....being it was 0400 all i could find was a BIC pen & a short piece of 2x4 for a hammer .... he bent over the table & put his ear lobe flat on it ....i managed to make a hole in his ear lobe with the pen point (blood all over) & he stuck the earing in .....that was Kenny........ REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Jack Kleehaas."
RIP Brother

CELEBRATION OF THE LIFE OF RET. FF JOHN B. GREEHY ENG*35......
Please join in the Celebration of life for John B. Greehy of Cornwall, NY.

This is a Celebration of Life for FF. John B.Greehy Eng 35/14.
John died July 10,2020.

AOH Orange County Division 3
Cornwall,NY.
10 Hibernian Way
Cornwall, NY 12518

Please share this information with all

In regard to reply # 1764 above RET FF KENNETH E. GREEN.....
This is an email from a 216 BROTHER regarding Kenny Green... QUOTE
I have a great memory of a top floor fire in a 6-story tenement on Melrose Street where we took a terrible beating extinguishing five rooms of heavy smoke and flames. Kenny crawled in with us and without a mask went about crawling in with us , searching and ventilating as best he could. We were so exhausted that he and I were almost overcome with exhaustion and recouped in a back apartment. I thought my lungs were burning and my heart rate was skyrocketing, but I was amazed he was in the same shape as I was and that he recovered so quickly. He was born to be a firefighter, tough as nails, great to work with and had a great sense of humor. I remember how he laughed when I once said to him he was born to be a Soldier of Fortune.

He tackled some of the toughest and dangerous jobs in the world. Brother Kenny, you've earned your eternal rest.

Gus L
Eng, 216 ".....UNQUOTE. So true Gus.

In between Ladder 10 and Ladder 108, Ken was an original member of Engine 233-2.
Rest in peace, Brother.

Last edited:
^^^^^ I do not remember that .......i know Buddy Greaney who also came to 108 was from 233-2 & Ken wound up moving to Rockaway near Buddy.

OK t123ken you are 100% correct Thanks .... i am sure i knew that when Kenny came to 108 but like many other things they get lost in the overfull brain file I will update my posts.....i see Rich Casta on there also... i forgot about him being in 233-2....he was later in 140 when we worked together on the side.

RET BC KENNETH SUNSHINE BN*31....
On 7-4-21 .....Appt 10-10-59 ....RET 3-18-91.
Sorry to hear about Ken.....FF 269...LT 146...CPT 106...BC BN*31.....i first met Ken when i came OTJ & was assigned to 108....he was a Cov LT & he would often work on Seigel St while covering .....when he walked into Qtrs everybody would start singing a chorus of "You Are My Sunshine"..... afer awhile he became a LT in 146 in our BN & later when he was CPT of 106 he was in our BN again (after BN*36 was disbanded) & also we at one point interchanged with 106 for awhile.......when i was in R*2 he was a BC in BN*31 which we were in while on Carlton Ave (no SOC back then) ....(no 12% either)......in the FH or at a Fire he was always a great guy . ..... REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

RET BC KENNETH SUNSHINE BN*31....
On 7-4-21 .....Appt 10-10-59 ....RET 3-18-91.
Sorry to hear about Ken.....FF 269...LT 146...CPT 106...BC BN*31.....i first met Ken when i came OTJ & was assigned to 108....he was a Cov LT & he would often work on Seigel St while covering .....when he walked into Qtrs everybody would start singing a chorus of "You Are My Sunshine"..... afer awhile he became a LT in 146 in our BN & later when he was CPT of 106 he was in our BN again (after BN*36 was disbanded) & also we at one point interchanged with 106 for awhile.......when i was in R*2 he was a BC in BN*31 which we were in while on Carlton Ave (no SOC back then) ....(no 12% either)......in the FH or at a Fire he was always a great guy . ..... REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.
RIP Chief

RET DC HENRY G. KEYES......
On 6-10-21 at 90 yrs of age in Palm Harbor Fla.....a Mass was held in Fla. on 6-14-20 & a Mass will be held in SI NY on Sat 7-10-14......REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....PHOTO & OBIT...... www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/siadvance/name/henry-keyes-obituary?pid=199339953
If I may I would like to pass on a story about DC Henry Keyes. When I was in L 131 we responded to a Class 3 Alarm in the middle of the night as we were taking up our Chauffeur tells this Covering Captain he had an accident while we were inside. We looked around and there wasn’t a vehicle besides our truck in site. We were in a huge empty lot it had to be a three acre parking lot down by the docks., shaking our heads as to what did he hit. The rear of the TL had it he compartment holding our Atlas Life Saving Net crushed directly dead center. He told the Captain he wanted to turn the rig around and backed into a Hydrant in the yard protected by 4 steel I beams.
Who responded but Chief Keyes and who was our Chauffeur but his brothers John Keyes. The Captain started to walk over to Chief Keyes when John jumped in a cut him off. As he started to explain what happened Chief Keyes started yelling at his younger brother, we knew who they were but the Captain had no idea and was visibly nervous. We were laughing as they went after one on other, brother to brother.
The bottom line Chief Keyes told this Captain to put it down as a ‘minor’ accident and send him the paperwork. We rode with the rig with the crushed compartment and net for a few days when it went the shops for about two weeks. The rig came back with a new compartment minus the Atlas Life Saving Net, we made good use of that compartment.
However Chief Keyes handled it there was never a recorded accident, the rig was fixed and our efforts for the coveted ‘Safe Driving Award’ was left clean until our next accident. We never did get one!
I remember him and his brother as good guys, both missed.