ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

While I don’t recall if I ever met you, I did hear that you were the guy you want to come for if you were trapped. Rest In Peace brother.

I just read on DO #47/that Tommy Gates,( E 204, L131),passed away. To all you old timers that knew Tommy he was one of characters that made the job what it is today. When running for Sargent of Arms, his opponent was a lawyer. Tommy’s motto was ‘I never took the Bar but I never passed a bar without buying a round with the brothers’
He was not only a good Fireman but he was the UFA’s Sargent in Arms for those years when we needed one. If anyone remembers going to the Medical Office was a pain in the butt. Some of us were treated as maligners or worse. Tommy in his role as Sargent of Arms would go to the Medical Office and confront the Office Manager who felt she knew better than the Firefighter or MD. She had him removed by NYPD once but Tommy came back with a written order that as a Union Officer he was allowed to be there. He stood up for the brothers and made sure they were treated properly.
That’s only one of many stories about Tommy, to know him was to love him. Great guy to work with and always had your back.
Can’t ask for more.
Sorry to hear of his passing this late.

I just read on DO #47/that Tommy Gates,( E 204, L131),passed away. To all you old timers that knew Tommy he was one of characters that made the job what it is today. When running for Sargent of Arms, his opponent was a lawyer. Tommy’s motto was ‘I never took the Bar but I never passed a bar without buying a round with the brothers’
He was not only a good Fireman but he was the UFA’s Sargent in Arms for those years when we needed one. If anyone remembers going to the Medical Office was a pain in the butt. Some of us were treated as maligners or worse. Tommy in his role as Sargent of Arms would go to the Medical Office and confront the Office Manager who felt she knew better than the Firefighter or MD. She had him removed by NYPD once but Tommy came back with a written order that as a Union Officer he was allowed to be there. He stood up for the brothers and made sure they were treated properly.
That’s only one of many stories about Tommy, to know him was to love him. Great guy to work with and always had your back.
Can’t ask for more.
Sorry to hear of his passing this late.
RIP Brother

Heard on Gettin Salty: Retired Captain Eddie Staines has passed away. I knew Eddie back in the day when he was a FF in L 147, Da Pride A Flatbush, and he was a fill in aide in B 41. He drove BC Terrence McPartland when the chief's regular aide, John Skelly, was on vacation. Eddie was quite a guy. RIP

Heard on Gettin Salty: Retired Captain Eddie Staines has passed away. I knew Eddie back in the day when he was a FF in L 147, Da Pride A Flatbush, and he was a fill in aide in B 41. He drove BC Terrence McPartland when the chief's regular aide, John Skelly, was on vacation. Eddie was quite a guy. RIP
RIP Eddie, I believe Eddie might have been the first Captain of the new Sq 1 when it was reorganized. Good guy and better Fireman.
Last time I saw Eddie was at the preview of the World Trade Center Museum living the good life between Brooklyn and South Carolina. He was with Henny Dingman, brings back sad but good memories of the good ones that have passed.

Eddie was a lieutenant in Ladder 112 in the 70s. His brother was also in the truck as well as a father son combination.

RET LT PHIL SPAMPINATO ...VIETNAM VETERAN....
On 4-9-22 at 77 yrs of age....FF ENG*59 (UFA Delegate)......LT ENG*281.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY VIETNAM) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.......I remember Phil in attendance regularly at UFOA Meetings.......Photos & Obit....Services already held......

www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/brandon-fl/philip-spampanato-10704764

Last edited:
RET CPT. EDDIE STAINES SQ*1..... On at 5-25-22 at 84 yrs of age....RET 12-23--93 after 34 yrs OTJ .... REST IN PEACE BROTHER...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....
Eddie was a FF in LAD*147 ....LT in LAD*112....& LT in MARINE*9.....CPT SQ*1...... ( John Fox was one of Eddie's FFs in LAD*112 & one of his LTs in SQ*1 ).
https://www.jamespbyrnesfuneralhome...Qd8w7FthNmblAQ7CwyMWYc0dbtPY6_lXt94&fs=e&s=cl

Last edited:
Although I never worked with you, I heard your name mentioned many times in L 112 with honor. Rest In Peace Capt.

RET BC JOHN A.GARRETT BN*40....
On 5-29-22 at 95 yrs of age ....RET 6-19-77.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....

Viewing/Visitation: Friday 6/3/22 2 - 4:30 & 7 - 9:30 pm
New Hyde Park Funeral Home
506 Lakeville Road, New Hyde Park, LI, NY
Funeral Mass: Saturday 6/4/2022 9:30 am
Holy Spirit RC Church
500 Jericho Tpke New Hyde Park, LI NY
Interment: Mt. St. Mary Cemetery
172-00 Booth Memorial Ave.
Flushing, NY 11365

PHOTO...
On 5-29-22 AT 95 yrs of age.......RET 6-19-77.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....

Viewing/Visitation: Friday 6/3/22 2 - 4:30 & 7 - 9:30 pm
New Hyde Park Funeral Home
506 Lakeville Road, New Hyde Park, LI, NY
Funeral Mass: Saturday 6/4/2022 9:30 am
Holy Spirit RC Church
500 Jericho Tpke New Hyde Park, LI NY
Interment: Mt. St. Mary Cemetery
172-00 Booth Memorial Ave.
Flushing, NY 11365

PHOTO... www.nhpfh.com/post/john-a-garrett

Last edited:
RET FF MICHAEL J. GRAY ENG*67.....
On 5-31-22 at 83 yrs of age .... RET 12-5-93 after 30 yrs OTJ.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Viewing/Visitation: Friday 6/3/2022 2 - 4 & 6 - 8 PM
Donovan's Funeral Home
82 South Church Street
Goshen, NY 10924
Funeral Mass Saturday 6/4/2022 11:00 am
St. Joseph RC Church
149 Cottage Street
Middletown, NY
Interment: St. Joseph Cemetery

PHOTO & OBIT. donovanfunerals.com/tribute/details/1721/Michael-Gray/obituary.html#tribute-start