ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

RET CPT JOSEPH F. NALLAN...
On 9-21-23 at 85 yrs of age.... REST IN PEACE BROTHER.......PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES......

Obit & Arrangements .... www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/29223301/joseph-f-nallan/rego-park/new-york/leo-f-kearns-inc-funeral-homes

Joe & I were appointed on 9-14-68 & graduated proby school on 10-26-68 & we were assigned to adjoining Williamsburg FHs....Joe to 104 & me to 108....in March of 1972 we were in the same Chauffeur School class on Welfare Island......later I was in R*2 & Joe was in R*4.....in Joe's Obituary it talks of Joe's love of Dog's....in our 1972 Chauf school photo ( taken by RET BC Bob Checco ..then a LT in the school) ...Joe is pictured holding the FDNY Training School Mascot........

lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ADCreHcKUiL25OQf7XuZnEb9UeCXk83BRlHAQw7lHaOFkxuGGPpoJfOuNpgc8zPu3WeifY4scTj6r8Incseu054Jns8g2zo_LjFrvVtCMpni43TIaMl0Ysqfv9VHL9JdYuv5Zet3CS904i_P3oLxkxo1EKDP=w1230-h966-s-no
Bob Checco was a class act. When l was a Auxiliary back in the day Bob ended up in chargee of the Program when at 110 Church St. We trained at Welfare lsland

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I had the pleasure of meeting John Giblin while he was a fireman in Engine 68 up in the Highbridge section of the Bronx overlooking Yankee Stadium. John had just received a plant as a ‘Thank You’ gesture from a woman who resided within the firehouse’s neighborhood.

I had gotten a phone call from one of the officers who worked with him providing me with the details of the event. John had previously rescued the woman from a fire. After healing the woman wanted to honor John and returned to the Highbridge fire station when he was working to say thanks. Arrangements were made for us to meet and grab a few photos of him for the weekly newspapers in the Bronx. I also sent copies to some of the local Irish publications.

I would have to guess 15 to 20 years pass and I am traveling the halls of fire headquarters and John stops me to chat. He mentions about that rescue that he made while a member of Engine 68. Because of the story appearing in the Irish publications in his homeland, John was contacted by another person whom he saved from the fire as a young teen but had lost all contact with. That person, in later years grew up to become the Lord Mayor of Dublin. He told me that they shared a meal in Manhattan afterwards.

John was also a gentleman.

RET FF MIKE MORAN LAD*104 has Passed To a Higher Level on 11-11-23 AT 76 yrs of age...
REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY & FDNY...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....
MIKE was a well known Face around the FDNY.... Two of his Sons served in the USMC.

ARRANGEMENTS... wantaghfuneralhome.com/michael-r-moran/
Rest In Peace, Mike. Glad I knew you & your sense of humor & love of the job & friendship to our good friend, Mike Burke.

Fascinating obit for BC Giblin- comes off the boat from Ireland at 18yo ends up a BC and practicing attorney!
John was a friend of mine. We started in the Fire Science Program at Rockland Community College in Suffern N.Y. together. Later when I was a covering Lieutenant in the South Bronx, Battalion 26, John was the Captain of Engine 60, and we often worked together. John in Engine 60 and myself covering in Tower Ladder 17. John had a great Irish Broge, and it was fun to hear him talk. His friends, including myself, would tell him. "John Speak English Not 'Goblinize'" and he would laugh more than anyone one of us. He was a good guy, a great firefighter and Chief. It was hard not to like him; he was a real friend. I am sure he has the brothers up in Heaven laughing as we speak. Rest in Peace my friend.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

I just received word of the passing of Joe DiResta, Eng.233 on 11/25/2023. Joe was there when I was assigned to E233-2 back in 69. He had the most talented son's, John was the comedian and was in a few movies and had a short lived TV show and Jimmy was in construction and also had many shows on this old house. No Funeral arrangements at this time.

RET FF PAUL KNAPP ENG*66......FORMERLY ENG*50

I never wanted to have to do this, but this is for my Dad.

The Wake and funeral arrangements are as follows:

Wake - Monday (12/4) from 2pm - 7pm at Schuyler Hill Funeral Home - 3535 E. Tremont Avenue, Bronx, 10465
Funeral Mass - Tuesday (12/5) at 9:45am at St. Theresa Church – 2855 St. Theresa Avenue, Bronx, NY 10465
Interment immediately follow at the Old St. Raymond’s Cemetery – Opp. 3270 E. Tremont Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461
(The family requests FDNY members to attend in Class A uniform if possible.)

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The NY Firefighters Burn Center Foundation - 21 Asch Loop, Bronx, NY 10465.

Paul R. Knapp - a 32 year veteran of the FDNY with Engine 50/Ladder 19 (1963-1977) then Engine 66/Ladder 61 (1977-1995) and US Army veteran (1957-1960) passed away suddenly but peacefully at home on Tuesday, November 28th.

As a member of Engine 50 he was given the nickname “Mr. 50” by his brother firefighters, a title he cherished his entire life. After transferring to Engine 66 he proudly served as the UFA delegate for 15 years. He was also the commissar, and senior man and career adviser to all of his “johnnies” who he loved to teach and tell stories to, especially over a couple of cold ones.

He was predeceased by his wife Arleen Bartunek and son Paul Vincent. He is survived by his children - Lorraine, Robert, Kenneth and Christine. And he was the proud grandpa of Kelly & Erin Knapp, Peter T. Tarsnane and April & John Bitetti.

Although it was a sudden and unexpected loss, the family takes comfort in the tremendous outpouring of support from their friends, the entire community and especially the members of the FDNY – whose generosity and assistance have been outstanding.

Like all firefighters who protect and serve - he is gone but will never be forgotten.

dad.png

Recd this message today....
"It is regret that the FDNY Florida Retirees Martin/St Lucie announces the death of its member Robert Major that occurred November 30, 2023. Bob was appointed 2-20-60 and retired July 2, 1987. He was assigned to Ladder 24 and Ladder 160 ".......
REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

RET FF RICHARD SETTDUCATI LAD*174....
On 12-4-23... RET 8-30-90 after 24 yrs OTJ.

REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Viewing: in Virginia 12/12/23. 4-6 pm
Moser FH.
Warrenton, VA

Graveside Service: Thursday 12/14/23 2 PM
Calvary Cemetery
49-02 Laurel Hill Blvd
Queens, NY. 11377

RET LT PAUL DUPLATRE....ENG*221 & ENG*305.

On 12-6-23 at 84 yrs of age....RET after 31 yrs OTJ.... REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES..... I remember him covering in Williamsburg in the early '70s....

Here’s the obituary that will be published in PA:

Wednesday, December 6, 2023 at Allied Services Hospice in Scranton. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, the former Geraldine Hadden. The couple married on May 26, 1963.

Born in Brooklyn, NY on February 10, 1939, he was the son of the late Pierre and Helen (Golly) Duplatre. He was a US Navy veteran who served active duty for two years and naval reserves for 20 years.

Paul had a long career as a New York City Firefighter where he achieved the rank of Lieutenant. After 31 years in the department he retired and he and his wife settled in Pleasant Mount.

An avid outdoorsman, Paul enjoyed kayaking, canoeing, bow hunting, and mountain biking. He enjoyed being active and over the years ran several New York City Marathons. Paul will be remembered for his big heart. He was always there to help someone in need going above and beyond.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his daughters, Ellen Bielefeld and husband Rusty of Charlotte, NC and Michelle Milone and husband Edward of Albertson, NY; his sister, Adrienne Duplatre of Denver, CO; his grandchildren, Casey and Owen Bielefeld and Matthew Milone.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Raymond Duplatre.

Visitation will be at Hessling Murray Funeral Home, 428 Main St. Honesdale, Tuesday, December 12th from 3pm-6pm.
Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 13th at 11 am at the same location. Interment with military honors will follow in St. Juliana's Cemetery, Rock Lake.

Memorial contributions can be made to FDNY Fire Family Transport Foundation at
firefamilytransport.org

Or, FDNY burn center at
NYffburncenter.com

Paul E. D
.jpg
485.3kB

Last edited: