Bronx dispatchers

baileyjeff said:
Also are all the borough dispatch centers consolidating into one center in Brooklyn?

I've been told that the Bronx C.O. will NOT move to Brooklyn.

Yes. 126-330 and 144-389. The dispatcher numbers were changed about 5 or 6 years ago up and down the line. It was done to close the gaps in numbers. We had people who were in the 100's but off the platform, and into the 500's for dispatchers. The bosses had people in the 40's up to 70's, so it was all compressed by seniority, with a few gaps left for recently promoted folks.

As of this writing, only two numbers have been retired that I know of. 22 for SFAD Dennis "Doc" O' Connell, and 120 for Warren Fuchs. I am a Supervising Dispatcher, but my handle is what my number would be if I was still a dispatcher.

PS Anyone with a 700 number is a probie, or provisional new guy. They get their regular numbers after a little more than a year. With this next bunch of probies, we will be into the 300's again.

So simply put, 1-19(Chief Dispatchers) 21-99(Supervising Dispatchers, 70's and 80's are probie bosses) 100-699(Dispatchers) 700-> (Probie Dispatchers or Provisional Dispatchers)

As of right now, the Bronx will be staying on 180 Street for the forseeable future. The backup site is in Brooklyn, and they went there a few weeks ago to test the equipment.

Only Manhattan, Brooklyn, and SI are in 11 Metrotech.

Thanks there "FDNY150". I really never knew that certain numbers pertain to a certain position within the dispatchers numbering system.

Thank you.

Yeah, the number you hear on the radio are by seniority.

You will rarely hear us bosses on the radio. It's frowned upon by the powers that be. I got a radio next to my desk, but I'm not allowed to use it. Occasionally, we may go up on the 800 Mhz, but as far as our regular radios, no good.

Where in Brooklyn is the back up site? The old Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island CO's what are they being used for?

Queens. The old MCO has been gutted. I haven't been to the SICO in about a year and a half, and I haven't been in Brooklyn in a few years.

It is. Brooklyn and SI back ups are there. Manhattans back up is on 180, and back ups for Q and X are at 11 MT.

I believe the old Bklyn CO is still staffed with one person to maintain equipment; they do a daily radio check with the new Bklyn CO.

johnd248 said:
the new Bklyn CO.

John, please do not insult 35 Empire Blvd like that. We do not work in a "CO". PSAC is an abortion of a work place. The only thing it's "central" to is the amount of pure bovine fecal matter that runs it.

Speaking as a Buff now, even I miss 35 Empire Blvd. I sure do remember my first vist there. It was in 1975. Wow, what a place. No computers, phones ringing constantly, the pull boxes coming in, I think they also had ERS boxes then too coming in. It was a hot summer night. I never really did get a tour of the place as I had asked.  They were just too busy with the on slaught of fire activity. I could NOT believe my eyes. I spent about an hour and a half there. I went in there curious and came out astonished.

Thanks to Frank R., I had the opportunity to visit and watch the professionals in action before the irresponsible closing of 35 Empire Blvd.