decon shower trucks

J

johnmiles

i know there is the old decon 15 at ladder 4 tower ladd 15.i know there is decon 251 (the ferrara's) which i guess is bought to the scene by eng 251, im just asking where are the others located i think there is one for the bronx and brooklyn, are they stored at the rock or at the  associated  engine company, also what designations are the others?

I know of 2 others: Decon 283, which is a second piece (also a Ferrara) to E283 in Brooklyn, and the SOC Decon unit which is stored on either Roosevelt Island or at The Rock.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I get a list of whats at the ROCK tomorrow.

I know at least Decon 37, and two new ones, that I saw today.

J

ja488

E-283 has the newer 2003 Freightliner/Advanced containment Tractor trailer rig as their Decon unit.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Parked at the Rock.
Decon 160
Decon 4
Decon 251
Decon 37 (2003)
Old Tractor Trailer

Bulldog

Bulldog
After looking at the picture and reading the specs for the new decon shower trucks I think they sure look like a lot of truck for what they're capable of.  They only carry 200 gallons of water which really doesn't sound like a lot unless its recycling and that doesn't sound likely since you really don't know what contaminates would have to be filtered out.  They also only have 2 showers?  That doesn't sound like much when you look at the size of the truck.  Sure seems like these trucks have very limited capability when you think about how much decontamination could be required at a large incident.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The design on the new trucks is you walk in one side and out the other,  Two rows at a time.  When you look at the back you will see two doors and then one on each side.