dry standpipe operations

Aloha, i was wondering what hose, hoses are used to hook up to a building or apartments standpipe? do they use the hose of the back and then hook up to the dry standpipe and what size thanks. ;D

The 3 1/2" line supplies the standpipe system. The 2 1/2" line is connected to the standpipe on the floor below the fire and is used by the engine company to attack the fire.

got it thanks, also how many discharges are on a standard engine, and how many standpipes can they feed at once to the standpipe. i've seen four lines before coming off an engine in honolulu to a standpipe but the building only had four thanks ;)

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY Standard is one Engine per hoseline in operation.  The most you will see is a Engine supplying to lines into a building standpipe but only because there is a problem like a broken clapper valve or something.  But in these cases you still need another engine per hoseline..

Bulldog

Bulldog
tbendick said:
FDNY Standard is one Engine per hoseline in operation.  The most you will see is a Engine supplying to lines into a building standpipe but only because there is a problem like a broken clapper valve or something.  But in these cases you still need another engine per hoseline..
That's certainly a waste of pump capacity, especially with the new 2000 GPM engines.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Remember in standpipe operations we don't care about pump GPM it's about that press that you can put out.  Also the one Engine per hose line is a backup, in case you lose a pumper or break a pipe.

First Engine gets the Siamese outside and then you try for another one on a side street if exists, if not you supply the 1st floor outlet.  These are some of the problems from the fatal fire, downtown.  My last all Hands before vacation was at a construction site with a combo system, i feed over 500gpm into and they said they had as much as a garden hose on the top. When you went into the 1st floor which was wide open it looked like a hurricane from all the broken sprinkler heads and pipes that were leaking water..

tbendick said:
Remember in standpipe operations we don't care about pump GPM it's about that press that you can put out.  Also the one Engine per hose line is a backup, in case you lose a pumper or break a pipe.

First Engine gets the Siamese outside and then you try for another one on a side street if exists, if not you supply the 1st floor outlet.  These are some of the problems from the fatal fire, downtown.  My last all Hands before vacation was at a construction site with a combo system, i feed over 500gpm into and they said they had as much as a garden hose on the top floor.When you went into the 1st floor which was wide open it looked like a hurricane from all the broken sprinkler heads and pipes that were leaking water..

Just wondering how many floors to the top ?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I think it was only about 7 floors at the time, they were taking down the building and it was covered with netting making it hard to see.  This is one of the disadvantages to a combo system, it can use up all your water and press.

hawaiifiveo said:
Aloha, i was wondering what hose, hoses are used to hook up to a building or apartments standpipe? do they use the hose of the back and then hook up to the dry standpipe and what size thanks. ;D

The hose that is used comes off the sides of the rig and are called "Roll Ups".  Typically, 3 to 4 lengths (depending on staffing, company sop and CIDS), 50' feet each,  of 2.5" hose with a smooth bore nozzle with 1 1/8" tip.  The control man will also take up a standpipe bag that has fittings, chocks, stillson wrench, hose straps, spare nozzle, wheel, and whatever the company has put in there to deal with their area.  There are a few variations on how the hose can be stretched.  If the fire apartment is close enough to the street and on the first or second floor, the engine can stretch from the backstep.  Also, in the shop I used to work in, we 9 times out of 10 supplied the standpipe from the ground floor stairwell and not the siamese on the outside.  This was because the outside connection was usually vandalised.  Sometimes you have to get real creative and shut down PIVs to divert water to your building....some of the projects can be real nightmares when dealing with water delivery.  There is also a little trip that can be used to overcome a line of frozen hyrants.  If you need water near a project complex (like a row of taxpayers burning across the street) and the street hydrants are frozen or OOS, its acceptable to try and hook up to the roof tank via the stairwell outlet and supply from there.  It has been done in the past....but a very very rare operation.