E64/L47 Quarters

Random question...since E64/L47 have basically separate quarters do they live separate or do they still act as though they are companies sharing the same house?

They act as one house together.  In the rear the kitchen joins the two houses together.  But they have seperate house watches.  So for example if you are in 64's quarters and 47 gets a run, you will not hear it.  So they do have seperate bunk rooms and TV rooms.

fdny1075k said:
How did they come to be two separate firehouses built right next to one another?
  Engine 64s house @1220 Castle Hill Ave. was built Dec. 9, 1908 then as the area was built up L47 was organized in a new firehouse @1214 Castle Hill Ave. on Nov. 27, 1913. The same thing has happened with former quarters of E46/L27, also present E45/TL58, E73/L42 and E220/L122 firehouses.

OK I am not an a building engineer, is it hard to make ONE house from the property? Let me guess, politics!!

There was a period from about 1909 to 1925 that had firehouses with a solid wall between the engine & truck.  L42 & L47 were built during that time.

With 45 Engine and 58 Truck's quarters, was the original intent to put them both in the new house?

jbendick

Administrator
I was told during that period, that when they built these houses, there was a city law stating a house could only have one Captain even if it contained two companies. So to beat this law, they built two separate houses with a common wall.

In other words if Joe was on the seat and you hadda go you had to run out the door and enter via the other company, or am I way off base on this? ;D ;D ;D ;) ;D ;D ;D

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
What everyone is forgetting with 64 & 47 --- there is an open space between the two stations. One is two stories & the other is three stories high. Years back the two kitchens were connected in the rear of quarters making it one big area. Other wise they are two seperate buildings.

If I am correct, with 45 & 58, the heating equipment for both houses is located in the basement of 45's quarters.

mack

Administrator
Engine 220 and Ladder 122 are next door to each other.  First firehouse was built by BFD in 1880s.  Second was built next door years later.

Quote "I was told during that period, that when they built these houses, there was a city law stating a house could only have one Captain even if it contained two companies. So to beat this law, they built two separate houses with a common wall." Enquote

Thanks for that info. It explains why 280/132 (for example) and other houses built in the era (I believe they were called Johnson Houses) had a wall right down the middle separating the engine from the truck, with two kitchens and two housewatches.

It's true, you do learn something every day

mack

Administrator
I believe Eng 259/L 128 quarters was built with distinct engine/truck separation.  Field Com 2 was located there

mack said:
I believe Eng 259/L 128 quarters was built with distinct engine/truck separation.  Field Com 2 was located there

They were up until it was renovated a few years ago. they had broken through on the first floor in the front had one house watch. And on the 2nd floor in the front. The third floor was completely seperate.

mack said:
....When i was in 108 in the late '60s 128 was one of the places we interchanged with....back then 128 had a separate kitchen & 259 & Field Comm 2 had one on the other side you had to go outside to go next door......years later prior to the renovation they combined both sides.....a few years later we used to interchange w/115 they also had a wall & a separate kitchen ...259 was on the other side w/BN*45 which was quartered there at that time....the housewatches were separate but had a small 12" x 12" minature door in the wall between HWs so you could talk to the HW next door........many FHs years ago had separate kitchens but most (not all) had 1 HW which you could walk thru to the other side......this made sense also since if you had separate HWs then you did HW almost every tour but if you shared it w/the other Co then one Co would do it one month then the other co the next month cutting HW duty in half.