EMS get protection

Prior to this legislation there was no provision for replacing the issued body armor. Once you were issued the armor upon graduation from academy that was it.

Manufactures of body armor specifically discuss a service life based on usage, exposure to moisture, how and where it’s stored and age of the Kevlar / ballistic material. I seem to remember the number was 5 years service life.

All of which was disregarded or not fully understood by the original architects of body armor for EMS. Likely based on cost. This legislation from what I understand addresses those issues.

It’s now up to the Department to take this new legislation and use it to maximize the safety and operational effectiveness of its members.

Prior to this legislation there was no provision for replacing the issued body armor. Once you were issued the armor upon graduation from academy that was it.

Manufactures of body armor specifically discuss a service life based on usage, exposure to moisture, how and where it’s stored and age of the Kevlar / ballistic material. I seem to remember the number was 5 years service life.

All of which was disregarded or not fully understood by the original architects of body armor for EMS. Likely based on cost. This legislation from what I understand addresses those issues.

It’s now up to the Department to take this new legislation and use it to maximize the safety and operational effectiveness of its members.
In the last few years they've been replacing the vests at five years.

Last edited: