ERS plate - first generation?

D

dcampagna

Hi guys,

I'm trying to identify an ERS front plate we have here at the Fire Museum. Box 3963: I believe it's a "first generation" or other early version of the ERS currently in use. Can anyone confirm this? The FD/PD covers flip up revealing two large levers.

Also, does anyone know what years this version was in operation and was it installed in all five boroughs or limited to certain areas?
096102-sm.jpg

Thanks! --Damon Campagna, NYC Fire Museum

D

dcampagna

I also notice that it has a rounded top -- which makes me wonder if it was a model issued at the same time at the common Norelco-made plate but used only in round-topped boxes.

JJFLOOD said:
I remember that model being in parts of Brooklyn.

I believe ERS installation began in 1971 in Brooklyn, then spread out to the Manhattan and South Bronx in 1972. Is this possibly an early model that was Brooklyn-only?

If anyone was interested; Box 3963 in Brooklyn was at Church & Bedford. Bronx, Napier & 235. Staten Island, Veterans & Clay Pit

Brooklyn box 3963 was one of the home boxes for Engine 248 when they were located at 2261 Church Avenue, between Flatbush and Bedford Avenues.  They moved to 2900 Snyder Avenue in 1972 and are still there.

vbcapt said:
If anyone was interested; Box 3963 in Brooklyn was at Church & Bedford. Bronx, Napier & 235. Staten Island, Veterans & Clay Pit

We can pretty much guarantee that box was not from Static Island!  :p

I asked a former Comm Truck electrician:

This type of box would fit the OB (O'Brien) Post where the mechanical box that was replaced had the round top.The hinges tell me that it might have been from a Pole type OB head. These types were eliminated when the ERS boxes from Norelco all were manufactured with the straight across face plate and built on hinges and there had to be a frame installed. I'll take a guess and say it came from the BX.  Hope this helps a little but it's really hard to pin something like this down, as Norelco also repaired boxes and sent them out again.

D

dcampagna

Hey, thank you all for your help! It's definitely unique and one of those "missing link" sort of items. It's good to pin this stuff down before nobody remembers it at all.

So... Is this also made by Norelco? I can only assume it is but it's drastically different from the "straight-across" Norelco. Unfortunately the electronics package is missing and just the switches and a wiring harness are left. The switches are completely generic so there aren't even useful serial numbers.

Was there a time when both versions of the ERS were produced at the same time, or was this strictly a predecessor predecessor to straight-face Norelco. I'm mainly trying to pin down some sort of date for it; I have a 1973 WNYF that features the straight-across Norelco, so I'm wondering if this was just used in '71-'72.