fast truck

132kitbash

Hi

i read the staten island report on the fire 12/31-2009 and was wondering.. What is a fast truck, is it any different from the rest (fabricationwise) or ???

Thanks...

A F.A.S.T. truck is a Ladder Company assigned as a Firefighter Assist Standby Team. Or, as other cities would call it, a R.I.T., Rapid Intervention Team.

going off of what vbcapt said they are the team standing outside of the fire ready to be deployed if a mayday is transmitted at the fire scene. There the ones going in to find the downed firefighter

FDNYE54 said:
going off of what vbcapt said they are the team standing outside of the fire ready to be deployed if a mayday is transmitted at the fire scene. There the ones going in to find the downed firefighter

Along with the Rescue and Squad and just about every guy on the fire ground in some cases.

The difference between FAST / RIT and the Rescue and/or Squad and everyone else being deployed is that members assigned to FASt / RIT are not to be used in other fireground roles. They deploy their tools, perform a size-up, ensure egress and entry points, and keep tabs on units location in the building. That way if something happens you have a company(ies) with tools, info, recon, and a plan ready to go ASAP. Also since they haven't just gotten off the roof/search/nozzle/etc they will hopefully be ready to go all out physically.

Aloha, i was reading a report on NIMS and the NRF about apparatus terminology and i believe on major incidents involving multi agencies, that they settled on the term RIT so everyones speaking the same language. Has anyone at FDNY heard of this or do they use the term fast only in house and then on mutual aid calls, or fema rescue task forces use the term RIT, me know thanks

Let me say, speaking as a long time buff of the FDNY, not as a firefighter. The FDNY has always done their own tests of equipment and tactics. They just don't follow the crowd. As far as I am concerned, it was the FDNY that FIRST Organized a company to stand by at incidents to assist firefighters calling Maydays. After the FDNY started doing this, then other depts seemed to come out with their own terms such as R.I.T. The big difference is that the FDNY didn't go out trying to sell their product, while other chiefs and depts pushed it in their books and promotions to help line their pockets.
  The same with size up terminology. Instead of using Exposure 1, 2, etc, books started to appear calling it Side 1, 2, Side A, B, etc. I'm talking I know of the FDNY using their exposure terms, long, long, before these other terms were even thought of. (At least back into the late 60s).
  Same with smooth bore verses fog nozzles. While many depts pushed the use of fog nozzles, the FDNY stood by their smooth bore nozzles for better fire attack. Many books and classes, many of which I attended, pushed the use of fog nozzles in fire attack. The FDNY never really accepted that theory, and no doubt they tested it before, rejecting it.
  Over the years, many depts/chiefs tried to make their own claim to fame, when actually all they did was check out the FDNY and put their own terminology on these ideas, and a few extra dollars in their own pockets.
  So whether the FDNY calls it a FAST Co, or somebody else says it should be called a R.I.T. Co., it seems to me that this whole idea started to appear only after the FDNY put this procedure into practice. (In fact, it was called a FAT Engine that only went on 2nd alarms or more).

hawaiifiveo said:
hey, they should of had a copy right ;)

I believe the FDNY may not have a copy right, but its in their own procedures and manuels. I've know the FDNY always ready and willing to help. For several years I would make trips to the Fire Acedemy, and I was always able to get their dept manuels once I showed them that I was on the job in Connecticut. Its probadly not that way now though.
  I really don't think that the FDNY was in it to make money. They just wanted to help out a young guy who wanted to learn. Its been like that for as long as I can remember. And at least for me, it sure was a place to learn. If it wasn't for me taking a few promotion exams, I would Never have spent a dime on books that somebody wrote using FDNY procedures, and just changing the terminology. I can tell you that some of these so-called authorities made a lot of money off myself, and the many others, who had to read these books. I would have much rather given the money to the FDNY or Burn Center etc, rather than some self promoting copy cat.
  Funny thing, promotion exams are being given again. Guess what some of the books are. Some go back to being written in 1985, 25 years ago. The guy is still making money off it. I hope he at least throws a little cash to the FDNY for all the work they did in making him "Rich and Famous".

To add what Bill said:

There's alot of equipment & procedures that have been tested by the larger Depts. decades ago that still remain the most effective today. There are folks in the fire service that always want to re-invent the wheel and they think their idea is always better based on what bill of goods some manufacturer sold them or they have an incredible need to always be recognized. It's the "look what I did syndrome".

Some of our colleagues in the fire service have some sort of disdain for the FDNY because they think, they're out of control or take too many risks. I would disagree with that tremendously and I have made it known. These folks will never say this to anyone in the FDNY to their face but, they'll mumble about it in secrecy, that constitutes a lack of integrity. These same types are also the ones who wouldn't last a week in that Dept.

i think the idea of having a standard term is good, the reason for this and i dont think someone was trying to change the term, i think FAST is a better term anyways when you look at the definition and meaning of FAST, fits the mission profile instead of RIT, maybe FDNY should lobby and get the term FAST as the standard term. the idea was get everyone on the same sheet of music, more for larger incidents, so the incident management teams could identify resources more quickly and especially during radio communications, so theres no confusion. The idea came about during an incident where command called for a water tanker for a critical air drop and a water tender showed up instead, thats because some dept use the term tanker and some use tenders. i do know that NIMS has adopted the term tanker for any aircraft that carries water and tender for any ground unit carring water. but i vote for FAST. mahalo 8)

Thanks "Deano", that's "vbcapt" to most, for helping to explain how things are with the FDNY. I think you put it very well when you said: "Look what I did syndrome". That explains exactly what I wanted to say. And I agree with you when you talk of "others" having some sort of issue with the FDNY. You're right, and most couldn't find the FDNY on a map if you pointed them in the right direction. The same guys that tell us about these "Safety issues" are lucky if they fight two or three fires a year. And their idea for a job is "food on the stove".
  "hawaiifiveo" you make a very good point. I do want to say this though. Maybe the "OTHER DEPTS" should adapt the "FDNY terminology". It was the FDNY that responded to the "Oklahoma City Bombing", "New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina", "Several Earthquakes, including one of the Worst recently in Haiti", and they faced the "Worst Terrorism our Country ever faced on 9/11/01". So with that said, just maybe the guys that sit behind a desk, telling all the nations fire depts how they should perform, should sit back and say: "FDNY, what do you think we should do" ? Because when it really counts, the FDNY will ALWAYS come through.
  In addition, I don't think there's a dept out there, probadly in the world, that faces the Day to Day incidents like FDNY. But as I know the FDNY, they are not a Dept that likes to pat themselves on the back, with the "Look What I Did Syndrome". In fact, I find that true with most of their firefighters/officers, most of which are the most experienced in the world.

They are the most humble bunch of firefighters I have ever met, that's for sure.

Must have been 20+ years ago I was detailed to drive a Deputy Chief. He was going off line for a couple of tours to take a class on Incident Command, some new  system that was developed out west for major brush fires that was taking hold nationally. When he got back I asked him what's changed,  he said ? when we take up from a job, instead of saying Div 7 is 10-8  from the All Hands, Batt 19 is radio contact,  use the term Batt. 19 is incident commander.?

turk132 said:
Must have been 20+ years ago I was detailed to drive a Deputy Chief. He was going off line for a couple of tours to take a class on Incident Command, some new  system that was developed out west for major brush fires that was taking hold nationally. When he got back I asked him what's changed,  he said ? when we take up from a job, instead of saying Div 7 is 10-8  from the All Hands, Batt 19 is radio contact,  use the term Batt. 19 is incident commander.?

John, "if we were only a little smarter then",,,, we could have thought of that, and put the $$$$ in OUR pocket, instead of waiting around to catch a once in awhile overtime shift.

And very well said there Deano. (vbcapt).

Thanks Bill !!

Seen and heard way too much self erotica the last 20+ years, it makes me queezy. All the conversations encountered from the brothers in your region always talks about "we" or talking about something good someone else did. Never about themselves.

Went to an off duty training function several years ago and never before did I hear the phrase "I did this" & "I did that" so many times by one person.

my 2 cents......exposure 1, 2, 3 and 4 always sounded good to me......in terms of terminology.......A couple of tours ago we went to a job and the preliminary report was a fire on the "A" "B" corner...........sounded alot like "A" "D" to me.....as the Truck Chauffeur I was not really sure......The FDNY uses these numbers for a reason......why does the rest of the country use letters?????

I agree, as usual, with my friend Bxboro.  The numbers 1,2,3,4 are way easier to use.  But then I began my firefighting duties with the FDNY; or as Willie D says:" the best firefighters in the world."

this might be a question for the fire buffs? what units are FAST certified? mahalo ;)and what does it take to get certified?

hawaiifiveo said:
this might be a question for the fire buffs? what units are FAST certified? mahalo ;)and what does it take to get certified?

ALL FDNY Ladder companies act as FAST Cos. It doesn't matter where in the city the job is, I believe the Third Ladder is the FAST Co. Unlike many areas, only certain depts have FAST/RIT Co training. For example, in my New London County, Ct area,, I believe only Four Depts are actually certified as a FAST/R.I.T. Co. If a job comes in, and the first due "Certified FAST/RIT" is on something else, our next FAST/RIT comes from New London or Groton about 15 miles away. A long time to wait for that firefighter or firefighters in trouble.

And I think somewhere on this site, the FAST Co was discussed in detail. Just wanted to point that out to help.