Favorite dispatchers

Does anyone know what ever happened to Warren Fuchs or George Munch after they retired?

baileyjeff said:
Does anyone know what ever happened to Warren Fuchs or George Munch after they retired?

I would like to add, "Beefman" from da Bronx to the list. I believe formerly Disp 330.

I'm not sure about George Munch, but I think Warren is living somewhere in Pa., where he has been very active belonging to a baseball team and a bowling league.

I also know that these individuals were very respected within the FDNY. They've represented some of THE BEST. 

I was totally amazed at how those dispatchers handled the July 4th runs/fires and kept such cool composures. A long and healthy retirement to all of you...

jerseymike said:
I was totally amazed at how those dispatchers handled the July 4th runs/fires and kept such cool composures. A long and healthy retirement to all of you...

Here is just a very small sample at the start of one of those very busy Fourth of July nights. There are numerous other audios as well.

In this case it is Brooklyn Dispatcher #247, aka George Munch. One of the dispatchers mentioned here.

Those guys did an amazing job.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3w4NJRRCH4

Last edited:
I don't remember names (except for Brendan O'Conner), but the dispatchers from the Brooklyn C.O. in the late 60's and early 70's were the best. Without computers to "assist" them, they kept a rein over what could have been chaos.

1261Truckie said:
I don't remember names (except for Brendan O'Conner), but the dispatchers from the Brooklyn C.O. in the late 60's and early 70's were the best. Without computers to "assist" them, they kept a rein over what could have been chaos.
One Bklyn. dispatcher's name I recall from that time, Morris Heitowit. He also owned a print shop that I think was on 44th street right of McDonald Avenue. He printed all the FD manuals for guys to use for studying for promotion Etc.

I still have Morris Heitowit's book to this day.  Since I rode with E 248 and B 41, I got to spend a lot of time at the Bklyn CO: Bob Lepage, George Slattery, Russ Ramsey, Waaaaaaren Fuchs, George Munch, Brendan O'Conner, Mike Vitucci, Newt Tanner, Steve Ternlund (who went OTJ and worked at E 248 as a LT and retired out of B 41), Steve Klein, and Dan Buckley (who preceded me at E 248).  There are many, many others, but it was a long time ago.

johnd248 said:
I still have Morris Heitowit's book to this day.  Since I rode with E 248 and B 41, I got to spend a lot of time at the Bklyn CO: Bob Lepage, George Slattery, Russ Ramsey, Waaaaaaren Fuchs, George Munch, Brendan O'Conner, Mike Vitucci, Newt Tanner, Steve Ternlund (who went OTJ and worked at E 248 as a LT and retired out of B 41), Steve Klein, and Dan Buckley (who preceded me at E 248).  There are many, many others, but it was a long time ago.

Thanks John. More names that ring a bell for me (and Others) as well.

Over the last year or so, some of us have met Steve Ternlund, now a retired B/C. I didn't know that he had been an FDNY dispatcher as well. But I can sure say this: "What a Great Guy he is".
If not for Retired B/C J.K., aka "68jk09", none of us would know him. I think his son is on the job now, and he has another son who is also expected to join the FDNY soon.

These guys are all legions. Sometimes during those very busy FDNY War Years, they might have been considered "Miracle Workers". Working with no computers, they never skipped a beat. WHAT A GREAT JOB THEY DID.........

I Remember Munch & Morris; Excellent Work ! There was a Guy; whose Name escapes Me; he's
Ret. now down in Fl. (Last I Heard...), he's Good Pal of L.103 Ret. ....
He always tells the story about he was 1st Disp. to Assign Res.5 to a Brooklyn Job when Res.2
was tied-up in North Brooklyn. Anyone...?
POSA- You Out There ...?  ;)

When the voice alarm was iniated in Brooklyn, they had a Dispatcher that couldn't speak English very well and the Brothers must have made many phone calls to repeat the message or harass the guy. There was then an announcement over the v.a. to knock it off. When I got on the job in 68, I thought the bells were archaic, and who remembers Friday, Saturday and Sunday night when the bells came in non stop with the open circuits. The Voice Alarm was a welcome change.

I've greatly enjoyed listening to the few recordings of Mark Mianulli, Bronx Dispatcher 281. I continue to be amazed by his situational awareness, speed of communication, and precise diction. Sadly, I don't believe he's with us any longer.

Herbie Eyser

Thank you Brad for posting that photo with Herb Eysser.

Interesting that one of our members just sent me that picture yesterday.

I also wanted to mention that it was Herbie Eysser numbers that I quoted in the City Wide Fire Duty topic on October 9, 2020, reply # 38

Yes, Herbie Eysser another favorite dispatcher to many.