Favorite dispatchers

And let's not forget supervising Brooklyn dispatcher Johnny Allen (two-tree). He did the Communications All-Hands column in WNYF for years.

Bill Ladell will probably hold the record for time OTJ as an FDNY Dispatcher.... still going strong driving the Field Comm & providing communications from the scene.

So many great people are & or have been in the CO's.....some are good friends for years as well a consummate professionals....too many names to mention.

My favorite was from the Queens C.O.. Unfortunately he has passed and I cannot remember his nick name. It was of Polish origin. Perhaps Chief JK knows who I am referring to.

That's it Steve. Thank you. I had the pleasure of speaking with him one night when he for some reason was working Staten Island. At the scene of a collision a box was creamed and sent into the woods and I notified him. A nice guy and a pleasure to hear. Continue to Rest In Peace Yak. We miss you.

Just remembering some of the other Brooklyn dispatchers..Bob Lepage, Henry Dingman, Harry Doyle, Ronnie Poe, Harold Goldfarb and "Black Cloud". I buffed a fire off Empire Blvd.with Warren Fuchs..everyone knew him..Chiefs, Officers, every firefighter, all the cops as well as many of the civilians crowded around him. I felt like a minor celeb.

My favorite Dispatcher at the present time is John A. Brooklyn Disp # 290.
But back in the 70s l had the honors of being with the old Group 5 in the Boro of QUEENS.
The supervisor was # 51 Sal Aliquio..
Sol Axelrod # 52....Ambi White # 53... Nate Balloti # 54.... George Guido # 55
George Reimann # 56....John Rakuwski # 57.... Joey Rabino # 58 ( transferred to Brooklyn )..... Queens trouble hunter Freddy.... Speaking of Freddy one Saturday night when the bars got out someone pushed the new ERS box and started cursing us out. A few hours later Ambi and myself opened three circuit and we heard guys shooting dice. We started talking to them and there response was who the fuck is this. Well about a min later the circuit opened and Freddy responded. The outcome was the ERS box was beatin up with a pipe and was placed OOS.The voice alarm was also interesting. Approx 0300 l would push down 319s button and ask them if everyone was tucked in. But on a busy weekend night the All zone button was pushed waking all the Queens company's. Allot easier than hitting zone 2&4...zone 1... or zones 5&6.This usually occurred around 3-4 am when the bars closed. As a few others stated when the bars closed and 10 or more boxes were coming in at one time or was good luck hope we got them all. If there was a job the phones would lite up like a Christmas tree. Mr Ed Condon was the boss boss and very well respected by all.

I must add to Doug that 290 is pretty good..as well as many other 297,381,351,214 the list goes on and on

Last edited:
In the summer of 1977, I rode with the Memphis Fire Department two nights in Engine 7. At shift change at 0700 hrs, the fire alarm office woke everybody up on the voice alarm. The first morning they played the Looney Tunes theme song (That's All Folks). The second morning it was sixty seconds of hog calling.

Fast Freddy! I haven't thought of ERS Troublehunters in years. I remember Tony, the marble-mouthed Com Truck 910 to the Bronx, K in the 90's. Good memories.

Has anyone ever heard the female dispatcher in Brooklyn who always cuts herself off without giving her dispatcher number? Example: "10-18 for box xxxx by order of engine xxxx, 1015 hours, dispa......" Listen closely and see if I'm correct or I need an audiologist.

Has anyone ever heard the female dispatcher in Brooklyn who always cuts herself off without giving her dispatcher number? Example: "10-18 for box xxxx by order of engine xxxx, 1015 hours, dispa......" Listen closely and see if I'm correct or I need an audiologist.

True That. I DNK Why This Continues....Not to be Too Critical; But - She also Cuts-off before competing Transmission:
Ladder 170 becomes 'Ladder 17-', Engine 255 comes as 'Engine 25-'. :unsure: