FDNY 2001 American Lafrance and Spirit of Louisiana

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the 2001 American Lafrance that ran as Engine 34 after 9-11 and I know the Spirit of Louisiana was returned to New Orleans after Katrina. Am I correct? Where is the 2001 American Lafrance?

My bad, I thought I saw "Spirit of Oklahoma", guess have to get a bigger screen ( 8) 8)  8) blind mice  ;D )

The La France (Ex E-34, 257) is on GI and the Ferrara was returned to New Orleans after a stretch at E-283 and the Rock.

baileyjeff said:
So I guess the ALF has not been used since 2002? Does it not meet FDNY specs?

I don't know about it not "meeting FDNY specs", but it's clearly different.  ALF did try to keep the body and pump portion the same.  However, the cab is clearly not the same.  I don't know what kind of drive train it has in it either.  While the pump panel and body might make it functionally similar, there are a lot of components that are unique.  When you're maintaining a tremendous fleet, uniformity is key.

You also have to remember that Chauffeurs are detailed to other companies when they are short someone to drive.  It's better if the response area is the only thing that he's not as familiar with!

The only thing I remember hearing about it was that the suspension was relatively soft and the rig seemed to lean on turns.

Do we know whats going to happen with the current Rescue's 1-5, Rescue's 6 & 7 & Haz-mat 1 when the new fleet of Ferrera's come on line?? i'd imagine at least 2 will be kept as Spares

IRISH said:
Do we know whats going to happen with the current Rescue's 1-5, Rescue's 6 & 7 & Haz-mat 1 when the new fleet of Ferrera's come on line?? i'd imagine at least 2 will be kept as Spares

A couple will definitely be kept as spares.  There really isn't a "R6 or R7".  They're just other spare rigs.  I don't know about that ALF Rescue, it's kind of an oddball, but I can't have much milage on it.  Some of the Rescues are pretty beat up, but I'm sure they'll keep what's worth keeping.  Haz-Mat isn't being replaced, it's relatively new still.

JohnnyBopp said:
IRISH said:

A couple will definitely be kept as spares.  There really isn't a "R6 or R7".  They're just other spare rigs.  I don't know about that ALF Rescue, it's kind of an oddball, but I can't have much milage on it.  Some of the Rescues are pretty beat up, but I'm sure they'll keep what's worth keeping.  Haz-Mat isn't being replaced, it's relatively new still.

a member from hazmat one said they are indeed getting a new rig. Btw are there still any hme rescues around?? Would love to get a photo of one somehow.

JohnnyBopp said:
IRISH said:

Hi Johnny....no i know there is no Rescue 6 & 7 but the Spare (R6) & the Reserve (R7) are commonly referred to as R6 & 7. Haz-mat is being replaced with a new Ferrera and is due for delivery in Spring 2011

anesti said:
JohnnyBopp said:
IRISH said:

a member from hazmat one said they are indeed getting a new rig. Btw are there still any hme rescues around?? Would love to get a photo of one somehow.

anesti...found this on another topic page....

There are still two 1996 HME/Saulsbury spare rescues (former Rescue 3 (SR9603) and Rescue 4 (SR9604).
Former 1996 HME/Saulsbury Rescue 5 (SR9605) is a spare Haz-Mat, but may be DX'd very soon.
Former Rescue 4 2002 E-One (SR02004) is a spare rescue.
The 2002 Freightliner/ALF (AR02001) is a spare rescue.
The 2002 Mack/General Safety-Rosenbauer (GR02001) is Reserve Rescue 7.

IRISH said:
anesti said:
JohnnyBopp said:
IRISH said:

thanx,i actually thing the hme is a engine 206

anesti...found this on another topic page....

There are still two 1996 HME/Saulsbury spare rescues (former Rescue 3 (SR9603) and Rescue 4 (SR9604).
Former 1996 HME/Saulsbury Rescue 5 (SR9605) is a spare Haz-Mat, but may be DX'd very soon.
Former Rescue 4 2002 E-One (SR02004) is a spare rescue.
The 2002 Freightliner/ALF (AR02001) is a spare rescue.
The 2002 Mack/General Safety-Rosenbauer (GR02001) is Reserve Rescue 7.

The 2001 ALF pumper was originally on loan from ALF for evaluation purposes. It was powered by a Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine( a six cylinder) while the regular Seagrave pumpers were powered at that time (2000 contract, I believe) by a Detroit Series 50 ( a four cylinder ). After 9/11, FDNY chose to purchase it.

anesti said:

Yep there's 1 at the shops annex thats former R5. I have a picture of it somewhere

Just curious, does  Haz Mat 1 get replaced every 5 years , it seems like the trend (2001) (2006) (2011)

jciscone said:
Just curious, does  Haz Mat 1 get replaced every 5 years , it seems like the trend (2001) (2006) (2011)

might have to do with them getting grant money.

IRISH said:
Haz-mat is being replaced with a new Ferrera and is due for delivery in Spring 2011

Interesting....thought that rig was fairly new.  Most expensive rig in the fleet.  I suppose it racks up some miles running city wide, but 2011 is a short replacement.