FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section

mack

Administrator
ENGINE 37/LADDER 40 FIREHOUSE 415 W 125TH STREET, WEST HARLEM, MANHATTAN DIVISION 3, BATTALION 11 "HEART OF HARLEM" "LIFE BEGINS AT 40"

ENGINE 37/LADDER 40

DECON 37

mack

Administrator
ENGINE 37/LADDER 40 FIREHOUSE 415 W 125TH STREET, WEST HARLEM, MANHATTAN DIVISION 3, BATTALION 11 "HEART OF HARLEM" "LIFE BEGINS AT 40"

MAN SIDEWAYS.jpg

Stopping into the firehouses on the side streets of Manhattan has continued to be a true joy for me and the Manhattan Sideways team. There is always an interesting story to be heard and warm, generous people to meet. When we visited the fire station on 125th, we were greeted by an apologetic fireman who told us that their trucks were out responding to a gas leak in the area. He did, however, show us the truck they had on loan, which some of the men were busy cleaning and which he called their Special Operations Command vehicle. We were immediately curious about the truck, and he explained that it is equipped with a dewatering shower unit intended for use after any kind of catastrophe that has potentially contaminated firemen or civilians. This was conceived following 9/11, but we were pleased to learn that in 2017 it had still only been used for training. It has never been needed in the real world. “It’s something we hope we never have to do,” the fireman confessed.

MS2.jpg

MS3.jpg

MS4.jpg

MS5.jpg

MS6.jpg

MS1.jpg

MS7.jpg

MS8.jpg

MS10.jpg

http://sideways.nyc/2017/03/fdny-fire-engine-37-ladder-40/

Engine 37 and Ladder 40 has a Special Interest to me. I have a Special Story to tell you about it.

First as a Buff, I had been chasing the fire companies in that Harlem area (along with the South Bronx) in the very busy 1970s and many times I would see Engine 37/Ladder 40 operating at jobs as the FDNY War Years were in full swing.

Then in August,1978 the Waldbums Collapse happens taking the lives of Six FDNY Members. A group of us from Ct (Willimantic, Bridgeport, and Norwich) were able to get a firefighter who drove school bus part time to get us a school bus and drive us down to Brooklyn to attend the funeral of Our Brother Firefighters of the FDNY who had lost their lives.

As we all stood in the street in uniform along with members from fire depts across the entire country, one member of the FDNY apparently sees the patch on my uniform. That member who I learned was Charlie Summerland (since passed on) asked me if I knew a guy named Ken Murkett. I sure did, he was the Captain of the firehouse where I, along with some other guys with me, were assigned.

Charlie had asked me to pass on his phone number to Capt Murkett, as they both had served in the military together. I did that and two good military buddies were reunited after years of not seeing each other. Then both myself and Capt Murkett were invited down to the quarters of 37/40. Of course I already knew exactly where the place was from buffing the area.

The guys treated us GREAT and we were introduced to the members, including Lt Duffy, who was a member of the FDNY Bag Pipe Band.

Both Lt Duffy and Charlie Summerland invited us to come down on St Patrick's Day to join the FDNY in marching in the St Patrick's Day Parade. What an HONOR that would be. In fact, they told us to bring down as many members from the Norwich FD as we want to join them as well. So, the plans were made.

As it turns out, Capt Murkett had a sister who was married to a highly rated attorney in NYC and they have a unit on the 14th floor around Park Ave and 85th/86th St. It is the size of an entire city block, with maid service, doorman, elevator operator, etc. They give us use of the entire apartment as they will be away on a trip to Europe.

The day before St Patricks Day about 12 of us make the trip to Manhattan, of course with a few cases of beer to hold us over for awhile. We have an assigned parking area for three cars.
If you've ever seen the TV Show, "The Jefferson's" that is what it kind of reminded me of "moving on up to the east side". Totally out of our class.

The maid has a great meal prepared for us. The place is so big we can get lost trying to find each other or our assigned room to sleep in.

Captain Murkett's sister leaves us a note how both her and her husband greatly appreciate the job that firefighters do. She tells us to help ourselves with any food etc. Anything we need just ask for it.

Later that day we meet up with some off duty members of 37/40 and we are invited to join them at a place in lower Manhattan called: "Suspenders" (?), which was owned by a FDNY member.

**(I believe that member was later killed in a rope rescue of another firefighter in the Washington Hgts area when the rope broke. A member of Rescue 3 and Ladder Co 45)**

It certainly was a great time and a very late night.

But the next morning, we again join the members of E37/L40 for a St Patrick's Day Breakfast. Also stopping by are other FDNY companies from within the battalion.

After breakfast, we all get on the subway and head down to the meeting place where the entire membership of the FDNY is forming to march.

It was a chilly day but WHAT AN HONOR IT WAS TO MARCH UP THE AVENUE WITH SO MANY MEMBERS OF THE WORLDS GREATEST FIRE DEPT - THE FDNY.

The FDNY was led by Engine 37s, Lt Duffy of the FDNY Bag Pipe Band, as the thousands of people lined both sides of the street and cheered the FDNY on.

Those of us who were invited have NEVER Forgotten how GREAT those guys of 37/40 were to us. Of course some of those members are now living in Heaven.

THANK YOU to the Members of the FDNYs Engine 37 and Ladder 40 (1979) for all that you did for about a dozen of us guys from a small city in Connecticut, where we tried to live up to the nickname of "The Rose City's Bravest".

Also, Thank you "mack" for all these stories and this happens to be one that has been of particular interest to me.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

LADDER 40 MEDALS

RICHARD J. CONDON FF. LAD. 40 NOV. 11, 1910 1911 GORDON BENNETT

FF Condon, Ladder 40, was awarded the Bennett Medal for heroism at a fire on November 11, 1910 at 374 Manhattan Avenue, Manhattan.

NOV 11 FIRE.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1911

MEDAL DAY 1911 NY TIMES.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1911  BROOKLYN EAGLE PIC.jpg

CONDON MEDAL DAY BROOKLYN EAGLE.jpg

FIRE BUILDING 374 MANHATTAN AVENUE

374 MANHATTAN AVENUE.jpg

WILLIAM BRINDLE LT. LAD. 40 FEB. 5, 1911 1912 WERTHEIM

LT Brindle, Ladder 40, was awarded the Wertheim and Department Medals for bravery saving the live of Mary Holmes on February 5, 1911, in a house fire at 2112 8th Avenue.

FIRE BUILDING 2112 8TH AVENUE

BRINDLE 2112 8TH AVE.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1912

MEDAL DAY 1912.jpg

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

LADDER 40 MEDAL

MICHAEL LYNCH FF. LAD. 40 FEB. 26, 1911 1912 HUGH BONNER

FF Lynch, Ladder 40, was awarded Bonner and Department Medal for bravery saving the life of Clara Edelstein February 26, 1911, who was trapped in a building fire at 302 West 121 Street.

LYNCH 1911.jpg

FIRE BUILDING 302 W 121 STREET

LYNCH 302 W 121 ST.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1911

LYNCH 2.jpg

mack

Administrator

LADDER 40 MEDAL

GEORGE J. FOWLER FF. LAD. 40 APR. 18, 1917 1918 HUGH BONNER

FF Fowler, Ladder 40, was awarded the Bonner Medal and a Department Medal for heroism rescuing a woman on April 18, 1917 at 307 W 127 Street.

MEDAL DAY 1918

MEDAL DAY 1918 FOWLER.jpg

FIRE BUILDING 307 W 127TH STREET

307 E 127 ST.jpg
MD

Willy D: in the small world department, I went to elementary school with Charlie in Flatbush. I believe the proper spelling of his last name is Summerlad, without the n. We are aware of your spelling abilities.

Willy D: in the small world department, I went to elementary school with Charlie in Flatbush. I believe the proper spelling of his last name is Summerlad, without the n. We are aware of your spelling abilities.

Thanks John, I wasn't sure of the spelling. But he sure was a GREAT Guy to us.

Great story, Willy. Charlie (RIP) was a member of 132 before he transferred to 40 Truck.

Also Thank you Jim as well. I remember you telling me about Charlie

I think the u was an o, Sommerlad........he was a good guy, very proud member of 40 Truck.

mack

Administrator

LADDER 40 MEDAL

PATRICK RUSSELL FF. LAD. 40 OCT. 19, 1924 1925 BROOKMAN

FF Russell, Ladder 40, was awarded the Brookman medal for his heroic rescue of 4 children trapped in a burning building on October 19, 1924, located at 187 St. Nicholas Avenue, Manhattan.

RUSSELL.jpg

FIRE BUILDING 187 ST. NICHOLAS AVENUE

RUSSELL 187 ST NICHOLAS AVE.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1925

MEDAL DAY 1925 RUSSELL.jpg

mack

Administrator
I think the u was an o, Sommerlad........he was a good guy, very proud member of 40 Truck.

CHARLES WILLIAM SOMMERLAD, JR.

1605217408270.png

“CHARLIE”

February 20, 1943 - October 28, 2016

Monroe, NY

Charles William Sommerlad, Jr., a 42 year Monroe resident, entered into eternal rest on Friday, October 28, 2016 at the age of 73. He was the son of Charles William Sommerlad, Sr. and Zita Sommerlad (Moloney).

Charlie was born in Brooklyn, NY on February 20, 1943. He grew up in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn at a time when the Brooklyn Dodgers were king and the parish that you attended let everyone know where you were from. After living in Brooklyn and Rockaway Pt. NY, he took his family to the growing community of Monroe, NY in 1974. The Sommerlad family remains a fixture in the Monroe community to this day.

He proudly served his country in the U.S. Army as a Military Policeman. Shortly after being discharged in 1965, he met the love of his life, Eileen Ireland. After a whirlwind romance, they were engaged just three months later. They were married on August 13, 1966 and recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

In 1965, Charlie became a member of the NYPD and served as one of its finest. In 1970, he realized his dream job and became one of the bravest as a member of the FDNY. Charlie was beloved by his fellow firefighters throughout the city. He helped guide the way for many firefighters to learn what it took to be part of the world’s greatest firefighting department. He served 25 years on the department and 30 as a public servant of New York City, retiring in 1995.

They were blessed with five children and eleven grandchildren. Charlie was the most loving husband, father, and grandfather. He doted over his grandchildren showing them off every chance he got, especially at the Monroe Woodbury School Bus Garage. They absolutely adored him and often called him the world’s greatest grandpa. He was seen shuttling them around town, at football and soccer games, and dance recitals. He loved spending time in the Irish Riviera, otherwise known as Breezy Pt.

He began driving a school bus for the Monroe Woodbury School District in 1987. As a substitute driver, he shuttled thousands of students to school. Everyone knew him as the cool bus driver that would open the door with a smile and a warm greeting. Upon his retirement, he had driven for 23 years for the district. He also spent many years driving in West Point. He loved transporting cadets, soldiers, and many significant people throughout the northeast.

He was a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division One, Monroe, NY and the Retired Fireman’s Association. He was an usher at Sacred Heart Church in Monroe and a two-time finisher of the NY City Marathon.

Charlie is survived by his wife of 50 years, Eileen (Ireland) of Monroe, NY, and his sister, Zita O’Connor (Gerard) of West Palm Beach, FL. He is survived by his five children: Chuck Sommerlad (Diane) of Monroe, Charleen D’Angelillo (Randall) of Warwick, Timothy Sommerlad of Monroe, Debra Behringer (John) of Monroe, and Suzann Pierce (Steve) of Harriman. He is survived by eleven grandchildren: Kyle, Jenna, Timmy, Patrick, and Kieran Sommerlad; Jay and Julia Pierce; Kerry, Jack, Ryan, and Colleen Behringer.

1605217560318.png1605217780434.png1605217934827.png

mack

Administrator

LADDER 40 MEDALS

DANIEL J. RIORDAN FF. LAD. 40 FEB. 25, 1937 1937 1938 DELEHANTY

WILLIAM L. MAYER FF. LAD. 40 FEB. 25, 1937 1937 1938 SCOTT

FF Riordan and FF Mayer, Ladder 40, rescued Marie Brooks, a woman trapped at a 7th floor apartment building fire at 201 W 120th Street on February 25, 1937.

FIRE BUILDING 201 W 120TH STREET

201 w 120 street.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1938

1938 MEDALS MAYER RIORDAN.jpg

1938 MEDALS B RIORDAN MAYER B.jpg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Joe for posting that story of the Late Charlie Sommerlad.

I remember Captain Ken Murkett of the NFD telling me that he was a Military Police Officer.

Retired FDNY Firefighter Charlie Sommerlad, YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN and I will share this story with the guys who were with us on that St Patricks Day in 1979. All guys that are now retired of course, but guys I still keep in touch with.

mack

Administrator

LADDER 40 MEDAL

DANIEL J. RIORDAN FF. LAD. 40 OCT. 24, 1939 1940 CONRAN

FF Riordan, Ladder 40, was awarded the Conran Medal in 1940 for the heroic rescue of Mrs. Willie Shaw on October 24, 1939 at 111 W 124th Street.

FIRE BUILDING 111 W 124TH STREET

riordan 111 w 124 st.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1940

MEDAL DAY 1940 RIORDAN.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1940 2 RIORDAN.jpg

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

LADDER 40 MEDAL

JOHN P. CRANE FF. LAD. 40 APR. 26, 1940 1941 TODD

CRANE.jpg

FF Crane, Ladder 40, was awarded the Todd Medal and Department Medal in 1941 for meritorious acts April 26, 1940 at a fire at 235 W 128th Street.

FIRE BUILDING 235 W 128TH STREET

235 W 128 ST.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1941

MD 1941 CRANE.png