FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

Administrator
My father too.  About 1953:

Poppy_Proby.jpg

He went to E 248 as a proby.

(Note - Classes from this era grew up in the Depression, fought in WWII and Korea and then saw the FDNY "War Years")

mack said:

(Note - Classes from this era grew up in the Depression, fought in WWII and Korea and then saw the FDNY "War Years")

Bottom Row 3rd from left    Louis Ragusa assigned to L132

mack said:

Some Great History here of the FDNY. The firehouses, their stories and it's great to see these passed members remembered. As I read on here, many members of this site had their fathers on the job in the FDNY. They were America's Greatest Generation.

Those are not puttees. They are spats, canvas wrap aroundsthat that laced up over their trousers. I have the picture of my dad there in in 1934, the height of the Great Depression. He felt he was the luckiest man alive to have a job, which lasted for 30 years

Mack, by any chance do have the names of the "probies" in this picture. I could swear that the bald gent in the third row on the far right, standing next to the uniformed FF, is someone that I knew years ago.

3511 said:
Those are not puttees. They are spats, canvas wrap aroundsthat that laced up over their trousers. I have the picture of my dad there in in 1934, the height of the Great Depression. He felt he was the luckiest man alive to have a job, which lasted for 30 years

Technically, you're right, 3511.  True puttees were worn mostly by British soldiers in WW I, and they were long strips of cloth wrapped around the lower leg in place of boots.  But I had 2 uncles who spent WW II in the Seabees and gave me their "puttees" when they got home.  They were exactly like what is shown in the photo, and were called "puttees" by the GIs who wore them.  Spats are a different animal . . . they were much shorter, and covered only the ankle & upper foot.

Here are spats:

275px-Spat_commons_2.JPG

Here are TRUE puttees:

Woolwraps.jpg

These are what my uncles called "puttees", except that they were white:

images

So, I guess maybe we are both right . . . perhaps you more than me.  BTW:  Navy honor guards still wear them. 

Now how's that for stealing a thread?  ::) 8) ::)

Ray,
Interesting. You are correct about puttees being wrap around leggings. The Doughboys of World War I copied them from the British after their spats wore out in the trenches. Both types are called leggings.
My father still had his in a closet drawer when I was a kid and he called them spats. I wore them as part of my boy scout uniform. I thought they were cool because it made me like him.
I always also associated puttees with golfers, who wore them with their knickers. Many other military color guards still wear spats.
Good discussion. Thanks.

mack

Administrator
mack said:

Poppy_Proby.jpg

I will try to dig up some names.  This was my father's class (so I know one).

Not quite the topic but close enough...Does anyone have (or now where to get) a list of old FDNY stations no longer in use or closed that are still standing? I take time in my travels to photograph old fire stations for their design and architecture. I would like to take some picture next time I am up there.

Thanks
RM4

Roofman4 said:
Not quite the topic but close enough...Does anyone have (or now where to get) a list of old FDNY stations no longer in use or closed that are still standing? I take time in my travels to photograph old fire stations for their design and architecture. I would like to take some picture next time I am up there.

Thanks
RM4
Roofman there are several threads on this site....try using the "search" feature at the top of the home page.

HCO

The George F. Mand Library at the FDNY Fire Academy on Randalls Island, has a large photo album, available for viewing, with color photos of every current FDNY fire station and also every former FDNY firehouse that is still standing but no longer an FDNY station. The photos in this album were taken by FDNY Honorary Battalion Chief Fred Melahn, who works as a volunteer at the Mand Library. This album is divided by borough, with photos being mainly 4"x6". The library is open M-F, from 0800 to 1600 and telephone # is 212-360-4413. Address is Mand Library, Building # 13, FDNY Fire Academy, Randalls Island, NY 10035.

mack

Administrator
RM4 - You could try this -

1. Google "Mike Boucher's FDNY History"
2. Select an option:

ALL FIRE COMPANY LOCATIONS OF THE BRONX

ALL FIRE COMPANY LOCATIONS OF NEW YORK CITY FROM 1865/2008

THE OLD BROOKLYN FIRE DEPARTMENT LOCATIONS

DA BRONX VOUNTEER FIRE COMPANIES 

BROOKLYN WESTERN DISTRICT VOUNTEER FIRE COMPANIES

BROOKLYN EASTERN DISTRICT VOUNTEER FIRE COMPANIES

QUEENS VOUNTEER FIRE COMPANIES

MANHATTAN VOUNTEER FIRE COMPANIES

STATEN ISLAND VOUNTEER FIRE COMPANIES

3. From one of the lists above, type the FDNY locations in "Google Maps"

4.  Use the Street View to see if the original firehouse building is still standing.

5.  You can make your own check list from the above unit location histories lists

Notes - some of the original locations may not be exact and you may have to move up or down the block; some of the original firehouses have been converted and may have different appearances

mack

Administrator
Ft Pitt firehouse - company designations:

Old Broome St firehouse - designates E 17/L 18/4th Bn  (Squad 5 operated from here 1966-1969):
aaaa.jpg

New Pitt St firehouse - opened 1973 - designates E 17/L 18/Squad 5/Bn 4
image.jpg
Firehouse built for 3 companies but Squad 5 operated at 55 E Broadway and then moved to the Bronx in 1974

Designates E 17/L 18/Bn 4
image.jpg

Designates E 15/L 18/Bn 4 (current)
ddd.jpg
E 17 disbanded in 1991/firehouse occupied by L 18 and Bn 4 1991-2001/E 15 relocated to Pitt St in 2001

Curious...1973.... When the rigs were falling apart.... Everyday quarters were falling into ruin without basic repair... Closing needed second sections....And the firefighters were getting their brains knocked out.... This city spent its money building Palatial new fire houses.

mack

Administrator
3511 - Previous firehouse on Broome St was built in 1939 and was similar in age and style to many firehouses built during the late 1920s and early 1930s which are still in service.  There were many firehouses much older when that one was replaced.  It still appears to be in decent condition and is the only building standing on that block. 

Broome_St.jpg

lll.jpg

mack

Administrator
3511 - Fully agree with your points. My father worked in the "old" firehouse.  Didn't seem so old. Too bad the money was not used to keep E 17 in service.

Great traditions in Emgine 17. If I am not mistaken it was the busiest company in the city for much of the early 20th century.

3511 said:
Great traditions in Emgine 17. If I am not mistaken it was the busiest company in the city for much of the early 20th century.

"3511", yes Eng 17 was one of the busiest during those very busy years. Eng 17 would team up with Eng 28, Lad 11, Lad 18, and the 4th Battalion in the Lower East Side. Aves A, B, C, and D and everything in between kept those companies right up with the best of them. It was the South Bronx of Manhattan.

Status
Not open for further replies.