fdny clousures

Got a email from a yahoo group that the Ufa mentions that engines 4,271,161,157,242,and 93,ladders 116 and 53 are set to close has anyone else gotten this or heard anything??

B.S.! They can't close E242 unless they're trying to do it to stir up the local politicians, E242 is the first unit into Staten Island and if they close E161 & E242 they'll be closing adjoining engine co's. Same goes for L116, just wait till there's a fire in the projects with some 10-45's. :mad:

guitarman314 said:
B.S.! They can't close E242 unless they're trying to do it to stir up the local politicians, E242 is the first unit into Staten Island and if they close E161 & E242 they'll be closing adjoining engine co's. Same goes for L116, just wait till there's a fire in the projects with some 10-45's. :mad:

And E 157????

Sounds to me like baseless speculation right now, seeing as there's still 2 weeks to go before any announcement has to be made about closings...

I agree with Tom. Also, with the homeport development supposedly finally starting soon...they're gonna need all the help they can get to that place, specially since there's gonna be a lot of residential. 161/81 is 3rd due there. 242 wouldn't be far behind if something hits oh...i dunno, 2 alarms? which has been happening frighteningly more here. 157 is close to Fresh Kills which is scheduled to be a brand new park, one that will trump Central Park in size. Since parks here on Staten Island seem to catch fire every 30 minutes, we'd need all the help we can get over there, specially since the average Great Kills fire is 3 alarms. Let's also not forget the fact that as Brooklyn and Queens become more like Manhattan, what with Atlantic Yards and Willets Point pushing people out, a lot of those people will come to Staten Island, which is seen as far more suburban and homey. More people leads to more fires, it's obvious. We don't need less, we need more.

As far as Manhattan goes...Here's a hypothetical scenario for you. Fire breaks out at the South Street Seaport one busy friday afternoon. E6 is at the rock for training, E7, 10 and 15 are at a gas leak. E55 is stuck in traffic. By that point, the fire grows, gets a lot bigger then it should have, and by the time the first units arrive, it's already 3 alarms, and people have died. Since the seaport is right on the water, the sea breeze fans the flames, the fire quickly gets bigger, takes out more buildings and more people. By this point, you have lost people, and if you look at it from a political/mosey standpoint, you lose South Street seaport, currently one of the biggest tourist draws in the city. With that gone, theres no where really for tourists to go to spend money downtown, except Ground Zero, which is currently a huge construction site. You put more people in there, you get more potential for accidents and more legal trouble and so on and so on...

catry said:
Sounds to me like baseless speculation right now, seeing as there's still 2 weeks to go before any announcement has to be made about closings...

Catry is correct.  Lots of rumors.  We'll know in two weeks.  I spoke with union officials last week and unless something has changed, there is no word yet about which companies will be put up for closure.  That being said, anyone is vulnerable so now is the time to rally the communities so that they can save their fire companies should they be on the list.

Definitely can't close 161 and 157 and 242. Might as well not even bother calling 911 for fires and just start getting the neighborhood together to put out a fire. Staten Island doesn't have enough fire trucks to begin with. You get a small fire going in Great Kills Park and it immediately jumps to 3 alarms.

IF (and I hope there aren't) any closures like they have been talking about or listed here, then I wouldn't be surprised to see fallback 3 happening a lot more often. Where will dispatchers pull units for relocations? Unfortunately I feel it will take a surge in the response time and loss of life to teach the mayor a lesson.

Len90 said:
Unfortunately I feel it will take a surge in the response time and loss of life to teach the mayor a lesson.
personally i think the same thing but with the jackass mayor we have now all he cares about is money so until he gets out of office in 2013 emergency services are going to be taking a huge hit. ive been following the budget cuts with PD and since there only putting a few hundred cops on the street a year due to budget cuts wich is a huge safety issue imho. are other cities around the country screwing over the countries emergency services this bad?

mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
Len90 said:
Unfortunately I feel it will take a surge in the response time and loss of life to teach the mayor a lesson.
personally i think the same thing but with the jackass mayor we have now all he cares about is money so until he gets out of office in 2013 emergency services are going to be taking a huge hit. ive been following the budget cuts with PD and since there only putting a few hundred cops on the street a year due to budget cuts wich is a huge safety issue imho. are other cities around the country screwing over the countries emergency services this bad?
  Unfortunately, YES and there's not enough room to list them here.

B

Bigandy

Believe me it goes way beyond Emergency Services here in Jersey. Way beyond.

Bigandy said:

alot of new jersians are retiring early due to Christie screwing everything up,i have several family members in jersey that have lost their jobs or are on the very end of the ledge of losing their jobs.

anesti said:
Bigandy said:

alot of new jersians are retiring early due to Christie screwing everything up,i have several family members in jersey that have lost their jobs or are on the very end of the ledge of losing their jobs.

Things are bad here in Jersey, but I personally have seen this caused by a greedy union. In these times agree to take a pay freeze to save jobs... but that is not the issue at hand here.

As for this, the mayor announced in a press conference 20 engine companies and hundreds of firefighters. It comes down to the equivalence of 4-5 alarms worth of engine companies. Just utterly disgraceful and distasteful of the mayor.

But I guarantee you not one politician will sacrifice there first due engine company! It will take lives to be lost before they reopen any of the engine companies if they reopen them at all.

In the South they sure are, reducing Engine Co's to 3 FF's and Truck Co's to 2 FF's. Taking dual medics off the ambulances and putting an EMT and a medic together.
They took away our truck washing soap at the station. Come on, how pathetic. They want(Chief's Office) us to use the dish soap. Oh well, at least we ALL have checks coming still!!!!!!!

rdm258 said:
In the South they sure are, reducing Engine Co's to 3 FF's and Truck Co's to 2 FF's. Taking dual medics off the ambulances and putting an EMT and a medic together.
They took away our truck washing soap at the station. Come on, how pathetic. They want(Chief's Office) us to use the dish soap. Oh well, at least we ALL have checks coming still!!!!!!!

'rdm" is that Nashville ??  I think you said you were from there. But it sure is the same story over most of the country. Things are NOT GOOD. I think "vbcapt" was talking cuts in his dept too. Hopefully there will be no lay offs.
  "rdm", dish soap for washing fire trucks is kinda like brushing your teeth with SOS or Brillo Pads. I'm sure it will work, BUT. Wouldn't it be nice if you could tell your chief that. Good luck guys. I sure hope for the Best.

No closures for us and 22 Probs. went to the field on April 26th. Spared this time.

vbcapt said:
No closures for us and 22 Probs. went to the field on April 26th. Spared this time.

Sorry Deano, My mistake, but glad to hear it anyway.

im sure with enough pressure from the city council, they will agree to something and the mayor will  mysteriously "find" the funding in one of his pant pockets which was about to be washed in the laundrmat down the block from city hall. Well thats what i hope happens. 

RDM is right about reduced staffing in the south. NFD, Metro Nashville has minimum staffing and they will not go below 3 and 3. Rescues stay fully staffed at 5. Most suburban departments reduce the truck to driver only. Not a strong Ladder company tradition in the south, with some exceptions.