fdny clousures

anesti said:
I agree Mac with losing the 5th man,but I still thinking losing 20 plus companies would have had more jarring of a impact.

Given the choice.....close them.....I'd rather keep the 5th man.  4 Men will get a line in place faster than 3....we proved this already with Chief Dunn's study in the 80s.  2nd and 3d due engines can and will be delayed by traffic, BI, and other day to day tasks.  The 5th man is an extreamly valuable item.  Keep in mind.....with no 5th man....there is no "manpower" pool when a guy taps out....so...we not only loose the 5th man in the engine but the OV will go away on the trucks...because they will not hire anyone on MMOT after the tour starts.  So..engine will have no Doorman...and a truck may have no OV...that's two guys down and will seriously effect our ability to operate safely and effectivly.   

its funny how politics work and how funny it is how all of a sudden found. Fdny goes from a threat of 62 closures and 1400 layoffs down to 20 clousures and 400 layoffs down to no closures and no layoffs and now they are looking at hiring 300 more guys. I happy companies arent beign closed or firefighters layed off but i just find politics very funny.

anesti said:
its funny how politics work and how funny it is how all of a sudden found. Fdny goes from a threat of 62 closures and 1400 layoffs down to 20 clousures and 400 layoffs down to no closures and no layoffs and now they are looking at hiring 300 more guys. I happy companies arent beign closed or firefighters layed off but i just find politics very funny.

I fully agree "anesti". Now those politics will be patting themselves on the back and telling us how "THEY" saved the FDNY. They will no doubt use that to Their Own Advantage in the Next Elections. I don't trust any one of them or buy their line of Bulls#it. And of course, we all know its not just the FDNY.
  Of course it's great news that those companies didn't close. Don't forget too, didn't the city want the manning cut back on rigs as a trade off. 

We have the same nonsense down here. Money being blown on all kinds of new programs,pet projects to make someone feel better about themselves, buying stuff we will never use or do not need. The whole fiscal year we kept hearing we're broke, we're in danger of losing positions (that were just hired) and everything turned out fine. But alas, they're already at it again for next fiscal year and we're told it may be worse. When the economy is great we hear the same boo-hooing EVERY year.