FDNY EMS Bunker Gear - Why?

I notice in a lot of FDNY incident photos from various web sites I see a lot of EMS personnel wearing bunker gear.  This strikes me as a bit odd since I didn't think EMTs and Medics--other than the EMS rescue units--went into dangerous/IDLH environments.  I left NYC before the merger and never recalled seeing them with bunker gear when they were still with HHC.  That's an expensive budget item to outfit all field personnel with bunker gear.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Its not NFPA firefighting bunker gear.

It meets the NFPA  PPE spec for ems and USAR.

tbendick said:
Its not NFPA firefighting bunker gear.

It meets the NFPA  PPE spec for ems and USAR.

Ahh, OK  (but it sure looks like the FF version in the photos -- liners, etc.)

I Believe the SOP is that its supposed to be used at MVAs/fires and during CPR jobs. (Correct me if I'm wrong) I can understand the logic for MVAs but fires and CPR i don't get the point. When I did EMS in irvington we were supposed to wear them on highway jobs and fire standbys. The one fire standby I did we didn't wear our bunker gear.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Fires = yes.
Have seen medics working on jumpers ,10-45, etc in front of the fire building with glass and debris flying all over.

I could've sworn there was a more recent relevant post, but I can't find it. Anyways, the Rescue Medics will be issued true bunker gear. This is due to them frequently operating on the floor below at 10-77s. Also my understanding is the members are not a fan of the current nomex pants which I believe will be phased out with a return to the cottons worn by the rest of HazTac. I'm unsure if they'll be keeping the Ricochet coats for tech rescues.

I could've sworn there was a more recent relevant post, but I can't find it. Anyways, the Rescue Medics will be issued true bunker gear. This is due to them frequently operating on the floor below at 10-77s. Also my understanding is the members are not a fan of the current nomex pants which I believe will be phased out with a return to the cottons worn by the rest of HazTac. I'm unsure if they'll be keeping the Ricochet coats for tech rescues.
Why are they not a fan of the Nomex uniform or bunker pants?

Why are they not a fan of the Nomex uniform or bunker pants?
The current nomex pants are worn as part of the regular uniform and not only on MCIs. They are disliked as they don't breathe in the least and members sweat constantly. They have no issue with the bunker pants, which are only worn on relevant assignments.