FDNY EMS Chief Demoted

Well, of course! The suits that were, or supposed, to be in charge of the snow emergency screwed up. So, let's take the lowest paid head of any city entity and the one one that garners the least support and respect and demote him. Yes indeed that solves the bigger problem. Did you see any of the "big wheels" out there in the storm? Chief Peruggia WAS out there shoveling snow and attempting to free stuck ambulances. He WAS out there trying to help his "troops" in any way he could given the lack of any resources. Granted it was a blowing, drifting deep snow but the city has for years not provided tire chains for the ambulances. The "el cheapo" tires on these ambulances would not be fit to make a rope and tire swing to hang from a tree. Indeed, Chief Peruggia was responsible for the 1400 call backlog in the 911 system. Aside from true emergency calls that were received how about all the nonsense calls that came in for the stubbed toe, hangnails, backache for the last two weeks and all the rest of the calls that EMS receives here in the "Big Apple. Yes sirree, Chief Peruggia had all these people call "911" so the system would be overloaded. How dare he create a blizzard and snarled roads and keep those people waiting. I have know John Peruggia for years and he is a stand-up guy who would give you the shirt off of his back and cares about the people in EMS. So make him the target because it looks good. I'm sure that Sal Cassano was right there to help defend him. Yeah, right!!! I apologize for the ranting but this really pisses me off. On the bright side, Chief Abdo Nahmod is also a real good guy and I wish both of them the best in the future. :mad:

He was on their bad side because of a trip he took with a vendor so this was their way of "getting" him. :( :mad:

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
city press conference today , made it sound as if you will see some form of chains for ems in the future

guitarman314 said:
  He was on their bad side because of a trip he took with a vendor so this was their way of "getting" him. :( :mad:

Naturally, they were just looking for the right moment.

I still can't figure out how it's the FDNY EMS' fault that the roads were not being kept passable during the storm? Shouldn't John Doherty have been let go for this? Where is the "big" shake-up in the DSNY? Keep in mind the DSNY can operate just over 2,000 plows. Included in that number are 365 vehicles that have the sand/salt spreaders. Not included in that count are the close to 300 front end loaders that are used to help clear snow. IMHO, that should be a fleet capable of keeping roadways passable and preventing something like what occurred from happening.

From what I've read here, I think they are beating up the Wrong Guy. Is this EMS Chief entitled to any Union Protection ? Maybe the one that should be Demoted is that Millionaire Mayor, who really is responsible for the City's problems. If "he" was out there, he could have, and SHOULD HAVE, taken care of any problems then. You're the Mayor of the Largest City in the U.S. and everybody is seeing TV reports about how bad things are. I think as Mayor, you owe it to the people that put you in that High office to find out what exactly is going on.

If I could be aware of the problems going on in NYC, some 120 miles from my home, I would think as Mayor, he should have also known. I think the finger pointing goes directly where it belongs. Directly Where The Buck Stops Here.

nfd...no Union protection because he was in an appointed position & did not lose his job...... just moved to another position (yet to be determined is what THEY said) ....Chief P. probably should not have been the fall guy.....you are 100 % right about bloombag....maybe if he did not BUY this 3rd term another newer mayor might have gave more of a crap.......the story just continues as today Fri. all garbage pickup is once again suspended....in the end it will cost many $$$ in OT for them to catch up.

Nothing to do w/EMS but still on the snow/mismanagment issue...i posted this on another site yesterday (THURS)...FYI...........   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sanit is under more fire after stockpiling large mounds of snow at an "authorized melting site" in BKLYN......the problem was they bulldozed it & knocked over a lot of wrought iron fence as well as several headstones in an adjoining Jewish Cemetary.....more than one tv news channel last night showed video of them doing it .......they came down my street on Monday night for the first pickup since the storm.....it was odd though since generally recycling pickup takes priority over garbage pickup since the city makes money from the recycled stuff....there was no recycling truck it was just a garbage truck who took not only the garbage but also the carefully sorted recycling materials & bundled newspapers & crushed it all in the garbage truck....a weeks worth of recycling times the number of houses equals a lot of wasted $.......lets see what happens tonight if anything in light of tomorrows forecast.

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=theend&action=display&thread=9284&page=10#ixzz1ANQtvy6X

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Just a side note. Only test in EMS is for LT.    Capt and above are a appointed.
EMTs and Medics in one Union.
Lt's and Captains in another.
The Chiefs are in the SOA. Senior officer association. If nothing has changed recently.

Spending my whole career in EMS, it seems that is easier to BLAME EMS,then other agencies, let's say, Sanitation Dept,DOT,etc.. No different then what occurs everyday in the field, "if you ever been on a call in a nursing home and have disputed with the, so called Nurse" you will agree, then when I say, when a Complaint comes from a Nurse,Police Officer or a "do you know, who I know" person, who gets BLAMED 100% of the time, EMS, we are an easy target.
Paramedics been only around since the early 1970's, the public has no clue what goes on, on the EMS side. We have no lobbyist in DC nor does EMS tend to back one particular politician over another, #1 Reason in my opinion, is that for most people in EMS, it's not a Career, dont stay 20-30 years, I been in EMS since 1996 and can tell you that I am amazed on how little seniority there is in EMS,because a lot of people leave to go to school or the Fire Side, anyway, EMS is a EASY target, Public only thinks about us in an EMERGENCY, we dont do open house's,parades,public education, we are our worst enemies,
Dont get me even started on the physical looks of a lot of EMS personel..... Not the most picture of GREAT HEALTH, LOL!!