FDNY: Frequently Asked Questions

CFR Certified First Responder. An engine is dispatched individually on medical emergencies. Also one is assigned on all 10-76 and 10-77 (high rise office or resedential) :)

CIDS Critical Information Dispatch System. Alerts responding via radio or MDT to dangerous or hazardous conditions not apparent at the front of the building. Conditions covered include hazardous chemicals, liquids and substances, structural hazards, heavy fire loading, truss buildings, handicapped individuals. Other conditions may be added as required. Information is gathered by units in their districts and submitted through channels. The dats is keyed to the street addres, the system will print reports for all CIDS buildings within 3 house numbers on the same side of the street as the basic address. :)

Hey, our printer actually works!!!!  ;D

Most of the abbreviations in the CIDS are easy to understand... STY is story, RF is roof, HAZ is hazard, MD is multiple dwelling, etc.

N

NZFDNYBuff

Hey guys.

Just curious about what happens in NY if a fire goes above a fifth alarm? And has a five-alarm plus fire ever occurred in New York City?

There have been many fires above a 5th alarm. In the late 70's there was a 10 alarm fire in Brooklyn at Knickerbocker Ave. Both WTC incidents went above a 5th alarm. In the mid 90's there was a 16 alarm fire in an old hotel. Staten Island had a recent brush fire that went to 8 alarms. That's just to name a few.

I do not believe the dispatch computers go to that level. One of the more knowledgeable buffs and/or Fire Alarm Dispatchers can answer that much better that I.

I don't know if the system is still in effect, but anything requiring response above the fifth alarm went to what was called a "Borough Call" or "Borough Alarm."  I heard a few years ago that this was changed and now responses above the fifth are numbered sequentially.

There is no 6th or higher alarms in the CADS, we just special call the necessary units and call it by number.

The last time there was a borough call was 2/26/93. Prior to that was in the late 1970's. It's not done usually.

N

NZFDNYBuff

FD347 said:
There is no 6th or higher alarms in the CADS, we just special call the necessary units and call it by number.

The last time there was a borough call was 2/26/93. Prior to that was in the late 1970's. It's not done usually.

Thanks again for your help Frank, I appreciate it.

EMS LSU is the Logistics Support Unit. Responds to multi fire and most 10-32's(MCI's). It carries spine boards, and lots of bandages and BLS equipment. There are normally 5 up and running on a good day.

Ladder Co's in the City. Some have specialized duties. Such as Chemical Protective Clothing(CPC), SOC Support-used at Collapses and Tech Rescue's. Some did have the Highway Response Unit, TL170 had one for wrecks on the Belt, not sure if still used. Those are just some type of Co's that would have the second piece truck.

rdm258 said:
EMS LSU is the Logistics Support Unit. Responds to multi fire and most 10-32's(MCI's). It carries spine boards, and lots of bandages and BLS equipment. There are normally 5 up and running on a good day.

Ladder Co's in the City. Some have specialized duties. Such as Chemical Protective Clothing(CPC), SOC Support-used at Collapses and Tech Rescue's. Some did have the Highway Response Unit, TL170 had one for wrecks on the Belt, not sure if still used. Those are just some type of Co's that would have the second piece truck.

TL 170 still has a Highway Response rig with a set of extracation tools due to the wieght ristictions on the brigdes of the belt parkway. Also if I am not mistaken L 156 as one too.

Would TL159 have one/did it? Think comes in the other direction on the Belt while 170 goes West?

FDNY220122 said:
rdm258 said:

TL 170 still has a Highway Response rig with a set of extracation tools due to the wieght ristictions on the brigdes of the belt parkway. Also if I am not mistaken L 156 as one too.
Ladder 159 is the other Brooklyn Belt Pkwy. area ladder co. with a Highway Response Unit

Being an "old " fire Horse,.... I didn't know that they are moving up to UHF freq's.

Does anyone know what those new freq's are, and when they might do the  ???"change over" ??

Thanks, I went to the Comm section and found them. What kind of scanner will be best to change over to to be able to monitor in the future??