FDNY helmet shield maker?

Sirs, any helmet collectors who can recommend a maker of FDNY style front shields for an older Cairns leather helmet.

Last edited:
Right now they are using the (cheap) Morning Pride shield and insert,with the stick on badge numbers.
Cairns used to make all the FDNY spec'd good leather fronts/inserts with heat pressed #s.
.....cheaper wins again.

Many may remember "Roz" in the Bronx. She had a store on Eastchester Ave and at one point on Kingsbridge Ave (?) opp the NYPD 50 Pct (?). She sold FDNY helmet shields and fronts. She had "Combo Companies" like 151 of Staten Island. Half the shield was red, the other half black (Black - Engine Co with Red for - Truck Co). Also helmet shields like the two sections of Ladder 27. It had a 27 on it with a smaller size 2 next to it. Certainly collector items today.

Paul Conway would probably be the way to go. On their website, you can make your own custom shield from leather. Also, the Fire Store has a leather shield builder. I have one myself. It holds up pretty good for the price I paid.

Sirs, thank you very much for your replies. Helpful as always.

nfd2004 said:
Many may remember "Roz" in the Bronx. She had a store on Eastchester Ave and at one point on Kingsbridge Ave (?) opp the NYPD 50 Pct (?). She sold FDNY helmet shields and fronts. She had "Combo Companies" like 151 of Staten Island. Half the shield was red, the other half black (Black - Engine Co with Red for - Truck Co). Also helmet shields like the two sections of Ladder 27. It had a 27 on it with a smaller size 2 next to it. Certainly collector items today.

BTW:
What color insert was used for the Super Pumper crews?

Last edited:
According to my father, a former SPS Lt.:

Firefighters had black inserts that stated: SUPERPUMPER or SATELLITE 1, 2 or 3

Officers had white frontpieces with a double (Captain) Stang Monitor (deckpipe) decal or single decal for Lieutenants.  Officers assigned to the Superpumer had SUPERPUMPER lettered in white on a black background in the center, their rank in across the bottom like other officers.  The Lieutenants assigned as the Satellite Officer, had the same frontpiece, with SATELLITE lettering.  Hope this helps!

John's Super Pumper book has some photos, C'Ville is right their helmet shield does say SuperPumper.