FDNY/NYPD Second jobs

chicago2008

Hello what are some of the common second jobs for FDNY/NYPD? In the Chicago area many CPD officers work security at Comiskey Park, Wrigley Field, Solider Field, and the United Center. Many CFD firefighters and paramedics also work as EMT's and Paramedics at these same venues. Is this also common with the NYPD and FDNY? Thanks.

nfd2004

I must agree with memorymaster.

But I would also add, that some firefighters, maybe police officers too, throughout the country also teach "job related classes" throughout their states and I know a few who travel throughout the country giving such classes.

During my much younger days as a firefighter, I also worked as a part time 911 dispatcher in another town, as well as part time on a private ambulance company doing both emergency and non-emergency transports.

BUT - "here's a better one".

Back BEFORE the days of this so called Internet Thing, I was taking pictures of my favorite firetrucks. That goes back to the days of 35 mm film that had to be developed. One of my favorite places was the FDNY where I would visit FDNYs Training Academy at the start of MY YOUNGER BUFF DAYS in the FDNYs busiest areas.

It was the perfect place to take those rig photographs. In fact going back many years ago is when I got to meet our own "johnny gage" there. He put the rig in the Perfect Position so I could get the "one of a kind photo" of FDNYs Ladder 5. THANK YOU DAN, as well as the tillerman assigned that day.

Then I got to thinking, I'm sure I'm NOT The ONLY GUY interested in photos like this. So I took an ad out in Firehouse Magazine offering Ten - 3 x 5 photos of FDNY rigs. I think the ad cost me $42.00 at the time. I had no idea how it would turn out.

Well, once the ad came out I got an "overwhelming response". In fact I got orders from all over the world. I couldn't believe it.

With such a GREAT RESPONSE, I ended up with a total of 23 separate photo sets from all over the country.
Places like Philly, Pittsburh, D.C., Cleveland, Columbus, etc.
My wife and I would use those profits for a vacation and a chance for me to get more rig shots.
We even made a trip out to sunny L.A. City and L.A. County Calif where she got to see all those tanned, good lookin, muscle bound Calif Guys and I got to get L .A. City and County rigs, including that famous L.A. County - Squad 51 from the TV series "Emergency". It was on display at the L.A. County Fire Museum. That was back in 1984 and of course the sale of fire apparatus photos paid for our trips to Disney Land, Venice Beach, etc.
Plus I gotta tell ya, "those Calif Girls weren't looking too bad either
No wonder the Beach Boys wrote that song about them called: "California Girls". Anybody remember that one ?

Oh, by the way, "johnny gage never did get any royalties from the profits of that great rig shot". Keep it a secret please, but I'll buy him some pizza next time I see him.

Now, I know most of you are tired of reading my financial history and side line business. BUT - there's More To Come. So stay tuned to part 2 of my story as I tell you about my firefighter buddies who also worked as carpenters, painters, plumbers, electricians and a local buff buddy who played a big part in helping me to put some of the profits from the sale of those Fire Apparatus Photos to work for me.

Uncle Wilfred

8060rock

I must agree with memorymaster.

But I would also add, that some firefighters, maybe police officers too, throughout the country also teach "job related classes" throughout their states and I know a few who travel throughout the country giving such classes.

During my much younger days as a firefighter, I also worked as a part time 911 dispatcher in another town, as well as part time on a private ambulance company doing both emergency and non-emergency transports.

BUT - "here's a better one".

Back BEFORE the days of this so called Internet Thing, I was taking pictures of my favorite firetrucks. That goes back to the days of 35 mm film that had to be developed. One of my favorite places was the FDNY where I would visit FDNYs Training Academy at the start of MY YOUNGER BUFF DAYS in the FDNYs busiest areas.

It was the perfect place to take those rig photographs. In fact going back many years ago is when I got to meet our own "johnny gage" there. He put the rig in the Perfect Position so I could get the "one of a kind photo" of FDNYs Ladder 5. THANK YOU DAN, as well as the tillerman assigned that day.

Then I got to thinking, I'm sure I'm NOT The ONLY GUY interested in photos like this. So I took an ad out in Firehouse Magazine offering Ten - 3 x 5 photos of FDNY rigs. I think the ad cost me $42.00 at the time. I had no idea how it would turn out.

Well, once the ad came out I got an "overwhelming response". In fact I got orders from all over the world. I couldn't believe it.

With such a GREAT RESPONSE, I ended up with a total of 23 separate photo sets from all over the country.
Places like Philly, Pittsburh, D.C., Cleveland, Columbus, etc.
My wife and I would use those profits for a vacation and a chance for me to get more rig shots.
We even made a trip out to sunny L.A. City and L.A. County Calif where she got to see all those tanned, good lookin, muscle bound Calif Guys and I got to get L .A. City and County rigs, including that famous L.A. County - Squad 51 from the TV series "Emergency". It was on display at the L.A. County Fire Museum. That was back in 1984 and of course the sale of fire apparatus photos paid for our trips to Disney Land, Venice Beach, etc.
Plus I gotta tell ya, "those Calif Girls weren't looking too bad either
No wonder the Beach Boys wrote that song about them called: "California Girls". Anybody remember that one ?

Oh, by the way, "johnny gage never did get any royalties from the profits of that great rig shot". Keep it a secret please, but I'll buy him some pizza next time I see him.

Now, I know most of you are tired of reading my financial history and side line business. BUT - there's More To Come. So stay tuned to part 2 of my story as I tell you about my firefighter buddies who also worked as carpenters, painters, plumbers, electricians and a local buff buddy who played a big part in helping me to put some of the profits from the sale of those Fire Apparatus Photos to work for me.

Uncle Wilfred

nfd2004

Yes Dan, 8060rock, Thank You.

That’s the song by The Beach Boys about those California Pretty Ladies

Pretty Ladies and Big Fire Trucks - what more could a guy ask for ! ! !

jtsjc1

The late Vernon Cherry was a great singer off the job. I've mentioned in another thread the band Starfire he was a part of performed at my wedding.

68jk09

The late Vernon Cherry was a great singer off the job. I've mentioned in another thread the band Starfire he was a part of performed at my wedding.
In addition to being a good singer Vernon was a Court Stenographer in BKLYN ....a good LCC in 118 ..... he had started in 249 ......back before SOC & it's forerunner Rescue Services R*2 while still on Carlton Ave was in BN*31 & we would get Details & or OT within the BN...Vernon was in my groups so we got to work some tours together when going to Middaugh St...an all around friendly guy.

Last edited:

68jk09

^^^^A video of Vernon singing our National Anthem (that was pre recorded at a Medal Day) was played in the opening of the first 9-11 Memorial at Madison Square Garden .....actually Honoring Vernon as well as all the others killed on 9-11-01......

nfd2004

THANK YOU for those videos of the late FDNY Firefighter/Singer, Vernon Cherry.

Whether it was fighting a fire or putting smiles on kids faces, an individual who dedicated his life in helping others.

Thank you Vernon for what you've done and May You Rest in Peace.

JohnnyGage

I recall many guys who "banged nails" on the side, many painters, one friend was a lawyer, another drove a limo. While at L 5, our friendly neighborhood bar Chumleys hired many bartenders. But I think I had the best second job; I drove an oil truck. I had the freedom to pick my route, stop for coffee when I wanted, no boss shadowing me, spend the day outside, accomodated my schedule. I worked through the summer bringing diesel fuel to various highway maintenance shops. Pay was pretty good too! Best kept secret.

nfd2004

Thank you Mr Gage. I have a Brother Firefighter friend who has been driving an oil truck for years. He has since retired and STILL drives an oil truck.
Must be something to it. Seems he enjoys it too.

You also mention bartenders.
Yes, in our small 60 member department there were FOUR Bartenders. Two of which owned their own bars.
It was the place where we all talked either sports, mostly Boston Red Sox's Fans (yes, they love those guys here) and of course fire dept chit chat filled with gossip, funny stories, and how the fire dept should be run. Most of us never really got to run it though.
Maybe some of you can relate to that.

Oh yes, we also had our car mechanic and small engine (lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc) repair guys. If needed they would even make house calls.

But now to finish up with my own story and those carpenters, electrician, plumber, painter/firefighters.
The year was 1987.
I buy a run down fixer upper across the street from the firehouse I work at.
The elderly owner who lives there offers it to me for a bargain price. She just wants to get rid of it. A price that I just couldn't really turn down.
The neighborhood isn't the best, BUT after already owning the two family duplex I live in, my goal would be to make it into 2 family dwelling.
As it turns out, a buff buddy of mine works at a local bank and his specialty is dealing with mortgages.
He explains to me about a Construction Mortgage that you only pay on the amount you borrow.

It works out great for me. I also get approval from the city zoning board to convert it from a one family to a two family.
I hire all those firefighter/tradesmen and they are happy to help out.
I get good tenants that I reward every month $25.00 for early or on time rental payments
Seems they can't wait to pay the rent and get that $25.00 rental rebate.
It's a Win/Win for everybody.

My part time job is now a landlord with three rental units

A couple of years go by and I sell that now two family dwelling for a nice profit.
I also give those Firefighter/Tradesmen a nice bonus for helping me.

I take the profits and buy another duplex not far from my home in Smalltown, Ct., total population about 5,000 people.
These days I have very good people living there.
One unit is occupied by my brother, a retired Bridgeport, Ct Battalion Chief.
The other unit is rented to a Brother Firefighter I worked with for years, along with his wife.
They both have a BARGAIN DEAL that they can't refuse

In the summer, I just maintain the lawn and shrubs and even pay myself a fair hourly wage to buy all my goodies like those Big Mac's, ice cream treats, or get some take out chow at my favorite restaurant called; "Manny's". Manny is the father of one of the guys on the job here.

Here's a secret for some of our younger member/firefighters/buffs, etc who might be just starting out with mortgage payments.
Check with your mortgage company or bank.
You might be able to SAVE YOURSELF Thousands of Dollars $$$$$$$, like I did.
Every year I made ONE EXTRA Monthly Mortgage Payment on the Principle.
For me, with BOTH HOUSES, I paid off my houses in 18 years rather than the 25 years it was supposed to be.
I SAVED "72" Mortgage Payments at a cost of only 18 extra payments over those years.
As I figure, that's "54" mortgage payments I didn't make.
How's that for some extra income ?

I guess I did get a little off track here, but I hope that maybe I might be able to help a couple of our younger guys here

But that success story all began with a buff buddy, and those firefighters who hustled on the side, doing what they did BEST.
Getting themselves some much needed added income to take care of their families. Some who put their kids though college. Including one I know that became a doctor.
That being the daughter of "NFDtilleman", Stoch, a Vietnam Veteran/Retired Fire Captain, who I believe you have been introduced to in the "News of Members" topic here.

And of course THANK YOU GUYS for taking the time to read a part of my own life's story.
I am VERY THANKFUL for my good health and everything I have.
Including MY GOOD FRIENDS, many who I have met because of this web site.
"I just wish we knew each other 20 or 30 years ago".

JohnnyGage

Thanks for the low down Willy, and your financial savvy wisdom. Now going back to your #3 post above with regard to my "royalties"; you are aware there is no time limit restrictions! We'll just have to settle out of court and meet in a White Castle! Love ya, enjoy this beautiful fall weather.

CFDMarshal

In production now is a movie "The King of Norwich" a Rose City success story about a Fire captain who becomes a land Baron. Who plays the King?

nfd2004

I am sure the "King" will wear a worn out, stained red shirt.

Something tells me I think that King is wearing that worn out stained shirt right now.

Last I knew he was carrying a homeless sign begging for some cash near that big money Mystic, Ct area
Known for those 10 or 12 million dollar homes

I think he’s even got a portable scanner with him

So those in the area, keep an eye open for thé guy
And don’t forget to donate

mack

Administrator
FDNY had strict outside job regulations back in my father's day. There were specific rules about types of jobs, when you could work, where you could work. Officers had specific regulations. These rules were during a period of time when salaries were low and second jobs were absolutely necessary.

I personally benefited because I learned as a kid how to drywall, cut lumber, paint, frame homes, mix concrete, landscape, shingle, roof, plumb kitchens and bathrooms, run electrical lines, install lights, deliver propane gas, service construction site warning lights, stock drug store shelves, make cabinets, repair cars, make and install fences, clean tools - all from second jobs my father had to get from paycheck to paycheck.

Attachments

• OUTSIDE JOBS 1956.jpg
    OUTSIDE JOBS 1956.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 7