FDNY/NYPD Second jobs

"twoteamtease", I think that is a very good point.

I remember my father, who was a captain in Bridgeport, Ct., telling me to take the promotion exam.
But I didn't care. I just wanted to be on the job and I was happy with that.

But he told me that not only would I get more money, but in he long run, it would give me a better pension, which would benefit me later in life when I retire.

Well I'm here to say that "he was right".
I didn't get promoted the first time I took the test.
So I had to work harder the next time and I did succeed

But, for me, "for the first year or so, I didn't like the job".
I enjoyed just being a firefighter and becoming the boss also created some headaches that I really wasn't ready for.
I told my father, I was going back to the firefighter rank.
He told me to stick it out for a year before I step back.
Once again, I followed his advise and guess what ?
"IT WORKED".

Of course later in time when I did retire, "it put more cash in my pocket".

With inflation cost, I'm glad I did what he suggested

These days, I can still buy my favorite pizza, or those Big Macs that I like so much, and STILL have some money left over to pay the bills.

"twoteamtease, I think that's some good advise for the young guys on the job today.

I would also add that everybody can't be an officer.

When I retired at age 56, I went to work part time as a security guard.
I liked the job, I worked a couple of evenings a week, it was easy, plus that also gave me some extra money.
I would save at least half of it into a retirement IRA and some into a regular savings account

Now being blessed with some good health, some great friends - many from here, "there really isn't much more I can ask for"

Let me end it here with a THANK YOU for listening to my Life's Story.

Be safe out there.
Thank you for sharing that. Same with me. I did not particularly “like” being a boss my first year or so either. But I was blessed with good assignments in houses that I really enjoyed, and in time I found that I grew to love and take pride in being the representative of the company for the tour, and doing my best in leading the men into harm’s way. But still, no officer can be complete without a great group of firefighters behind him 💪

it’s a harmonious circle which is one of the ways our job remains great - and is beautiful when in action

Studying for promotion is the best side job. Wish I realized that earlier in my career but that’s fine. I believe more and more guys are realizing this too as the last 10 years have provided the stiffest competition ever for Lieutenant and Captain exams.
So true, think guys see the pay scale and hustling with side jobs as very hard, with getting promoted & bump in pay from FF to LT to Capt., they can scale back with side work a little. Don't get me wrong I knew Chiefs that had side gigs as well, living in NY is expensive we all do it to pay the bills, etc. Myself , 24 years with City & 30yrs tending bar, with banging nails here & there. I regret a little not studying for Lt but had a blast anyway!

I always told my neighbors and friends if they needed something done go to your local firehouse. I’m sure you can find someone there for what ever you need. If not there they can tell you of another firefighter in another firehouse who does what you need. A lot of talent in the fire service in all fields and honest dedicated hard workers or else they wouldn’t be a Firefighter.

mack

Administrator
$50 an hour or more. Whether you're current or retired you are still in jeopardy of injury or lawsuits from the misguided miscreants that are mingled in the crowds at these events. You'd be much safer in the "trades" if you have that opportunity.
I agree but unfortunately, trades jobs require skills and experience, sometimes bonding and insurance, tools, truck, partner, heavy lifting, etc. A lot of back injuries.

Other parttime jobs don't pay as much.

Security jobs are in demand and pay well for prior LE and FFs due to dangers and abuse.

Best if you can become able to substitute teach, sell real estate, become a chef, nursing, or find something that is safe that you love to do

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
Studying for promotion is the best side job. Wish I realized that earlier in my career but that’s fine. I believe more and more guys are realizing this too as the last 10 years have provided the stiffest competition ever for Lieutenant and Captain exams.
Great advice. Also, work on education - get certificate, degree, diploma, etc.

mack

Administrator
Veterans - use the many veterans' employment services available from federal, state and city VA reps, and veteran groups. They help with part time and retirement employment. You are always a Veteran regardless of length of service. And don't pay anyone for Veterans's assistance. Help is earned by service not cash.

When I was attending Bunker Hill CC in the early 70's working on a Fire Science degree maybe of my fellow students were BFD jakes. There was one group from Ladder 7 whose second job was at a nearby funeral home. If they had to be relieved at a job it could cause chaos at the funeral home.

$50 an hour or more. Whether you're current or retired you are still in jeopardy of injury or lawsuits from the misguided miscreants that are mingled in the crowds at these events. You'd be much safer in the "trades" if you have that opportunity.
One of the security guards at work is retired CPD. One of her side jobs was at Sox Park as security, whenever they played the Cubs fights happened all the time. No surprise alcohol was involved and it usually happened start in the bottom of the 7th.

Note in the Chicago area the company that does security at Sox Park and the United Center https://www.theblueline.com/findAJob/view/15976 they raised the starting pay to $25 an hour. I still think it should be ten dollars more. I should note that this out fit is owned by the same people that own the White Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks, and the United Center. The White Sox and Bulls are owned by Jerry Reinsdorf, the Blackhawks are owned by Wirtz, the United Center is owned by Reinsdorf and Wirtz clear as mud right?

These days there are numerous part time jobs out there for retired firefighters, police officers, ems, and military members.

Of course any of the trades - plumbing, electrician, painters, handyman, etc are in big demand.
I know of a few guys who had begun their own lawn care and snow removal business on a yearly contract agreement.

Of course security guards are in demand.
Some guys have gone to work as part time 911 fire or police dispatchers
Others have gone to work with private ambulance companies as medics, emts, or ambulance dispatchers.
Maybe even a CNA, or employed at a local hospital for 24 hour coverage serving an individual patient who might need assistance due to a handicap/disability etc.

For me, being a firefighter was my FIRST CHOICE and I was certainly lucky enough to get that job.
Along with that, I always worked a part time job during my career, as well as after my firefighter retirement.
Those jobs consisted of a part time school bus driver, private ambulance company as an emt, a part time 911 dispatcher, and a security guard.

I am also glad that I worked those part time jobs because it has helped me to pay for my medical insurance, which I knew I would loose my coverage at age 68 as was agreed upon in our firefighters contract when I retired.

mack

Administrator
Although some FFs and POs still find second jobs or careers in the trades and as security guards, most now find second careers in many other areas. Members have diverse skills, experience, advanced education, degrees, certifications and special interests. Medical, teaching, financial, real estate, restaurants, air line, computer, technical and government second careers are common. There are also job-finding assets and internet ability to find opportunities. This progress is very positive for all who still serve their primary careers as FFs, POs medics, military veterans and dedicated civil servants. I have always encouraged younger members to find jobs and interests which they enjoy and to get help and use benefits they have earned - both for part time or retirement second careers.

Last edited: