FDNY Planning Evening Shut Down of 5 Engine Companies

When L53 was closed down in the past, E70 became CFC121 with a second piece with a ladder and additional manpower. Not so this time.

And Engine 271 in Brooklyn is in Bed-Stuy which has a lot of night time fires. Also 271 has first due areas in Queens. What the Mayor is really saying is he is closing Engines 4. 271 and 161and Ladder 53. They will only be in service from 9AM to 6PM and closed for 15 hours. He is preparing us for more closures, just wait and see.

baileyjeff said:
And Engine 271 in Brooklyn is in Bed-Stuy which has a lot of night time fires. Also 271 has first due areas in Queens. What the Mayor is really saying is he is closing Engines 4. 271 and 161and Ladder 53. They will only be in service from 9AM to 6PM and closed for 15 hours. He is preparing us for more closures, just wait and see.

Engine 4's first due is still bustling after 6pm, although they do not see much action at night, their action doesn't stop right at 6. Infact their busiest times of the day are before 9 and after 6, with all the Financial District workers coming in to work.

So when Engine 161 closes at 6PM I can see Engine 242 coming in from Brooklyn, and paying a toll now that FDNY units pay tolls on bridges, being first due on boxes. Wow, that would be a heck of a response. Would anyone agree with me on the permanent closure of Engine 329 in Queens?

baileyjeff said:
So when Engine 161 closes at 6PM I can see Engine 242 coming in from Brooklyn, and paying a toll now that FDNY units pay tolls on bridges, being first due on boxes. Wow, that would be a heck of a response. Would anyone agree with me on the permanent closure of Engine 329 in Queens?

closing 329 wouldent be good even though they are one of the slowest companys in the city. the reason for this is that the new first due companys would be E-268 and L-137 and they have along ride down into that area of rockaway... the 2nd due engine would be 266 which has a hike..... the 2nd due truck would be 159 and 3rd due engine would be 309... the location of 329 is the reason they cant close that house even though there are vollies in that area.

baileyjeff said:
What about moving or closing one of the engines in The Big House in The Rockaway's?

the rockaway pennisula is so isolated that its prob not a good idea, you need the additional company down there

baileyjeff said:

No, I will not agree on ANY firehouse closures. Closing firehouses not only put civilians in danger but it puts firemen in danger even more.

Bulldog

Bulldog
baileyjeff said:
The fire units have to pay tolls?  That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.  What if they don't have the correct change?  Do they just abandon the call can go home?  Who in the h__l came up with this idea?  Who in the world agreed to it? 

fdnycand89 said:
closing 329 wouldent be good even though they are one of the slowest companys in the city. the reason for this is that the new first due companys would be E-268 and L-137 and they have along ride down into that area of rockaway... the 2nd due engine would be 266 which has a hike..... the 2nd due truck would be 159 and 3rd due engine would be 309... the location of 329 is the reason they cant close that house even though there are vollies in that area.
You guys really make me laugh, what you call the long run for the second or third due company is maybe what 5 miles?  Those distances are fantastic for many fire departments in the United States, in many areas with volunteer protection the first due could be that far in the 2nd due could be much farther.  Not that I'm ever in favor of reducing fire protection but you guys need to see what reality is for many fire departments in the United States.

The rigs have an EZ pass tag in them so no fumbling for correct change. As for long distances, yes most volunteer depts have to travel longer distances, I know that from self experience but not many depts have the density of housing and population that NYC has.

Bulldog

Bulldog
fdce54 said:
The rigs have an EZ pass tag in them so no fumbling for correct change. As for long distances, yes most volunteer depts have to travel longer distances, I know that from self experience but not many depts have the density of housing and population that NYC has.
It doesn't answer the question why in the H__L does the fire department have to pay tolls?  I use to be in a volunteer department that covered a lot of the New York State thruway (I-90) not only did the trucks not have to pay tolls but the volunteers who responded with their POV were also waved through the toll gates.

Response distance affects the response time which is the critical thing in a department's response.  Housing density and population only affect the number of incidents.  Of course traffic does affect response time so that's probably the reason the companys her being shut down in the evening when traffic is less.  Also the amount of equipment responding even for a single family dwelling in NYC is much greater than in most volunteer areas.

Bulldog said:
You guys really make me laugh, what you call the long run for the second or third due company is maybe what 5 miles?  Those distances are fantastic for many fire departments in the United States, in many areas with volunteer protection the first due could be that far in the 2nd due could be much farther.  Not that I'm ever in favor of reducing fire protection but you guys need to see what reality is for many fire departments in the United States.

Because we have the great density of both people and buildings, we have much more to loose. A fire in the top floor of row frame will quickly go to a second or even a third alarm. And this can and does happen frequently even with companies on scen in under 7 minutes.

It's not a greater threat in other areas of the us, except larger cities where everything is packed in tight. We in the FDNY are aggresive not because it's fun, but because if your not you will loose a large amount of buildings rather quickly.   

fdnycand89 said:
baileyjeff said:

You're forgetting that in E161's area is Seaview Hospital, which one or some the buildings near Father Capodanno Blvd are required a 4+2 minimum response.

There are also taxpayers and mixed occupancies, NFP multiple dwellings, wood frame PD's and Project type-mulitple dwellings, and that's just on McClean Avenue, blocks away from E161's quarters!!

Similar to SI, Rockaway has access on the West End only via bridges, which are long stretches. To close or relocate E329, though they don't have a lot of runs puts a lot of people in danger. Especially since a lot of the people that live in Rockaway are firemen and officers in FDNY. This was proven when Flight 587 crashed, as incoming units had to close in on one central point to cross that bridge.

Closing any unit in a "slow but high risk" area is like telling us since we have not had a fire in our home, we should throw out our home fire extinguishers.  ::)

J

ja488

Actually 203, thats SI University Hosp. located on Seaview Ave.
Seaview Hospital is located at Briele ave between Rockland and Manor.

J

ja488

Unfortunately, it did not happen after the change of tours. Any time something relevant happens during the night in the areas that will lose its company, it should be reported and made news of.