FDNY Planning Evening Shut Down of 5 Engine Companies

what about those "waterfalls" they built back in the summer for 16 million dollars? Were they needed?

F

firekid52a

I heard that they will be closing some companies at night and opening up again in the morning

J

ja488

firekid52a said:
I heard that they will be closing some companies at night and opening up again in the morning

Is that new news? Because it looks to be about the same thing everyone else was saying. you know, EVENING SHUT DOWN is the same thing as closing at night.  ::) ::)

F

firekid52a

ja488 said:
firekid52a said:

Is that new news? Because it looks to be about the same thing everyone else was saying. you know, EVENING SHUT DOWN is the same thing as closing at night.  ::) ::)

chill out bay

firekid52a said:
ja488 said:
firekid52a said:

chill out bay

LMAOOOOOOO You to are too funny lol.

RPM3311 said:
what about those "waterfalls" they built back in the summer for 16 million dollars? Were they needed?

Apparently the waterfalls made back 5 times their value by earning nearly 70 million over their exhibit time.

The 5 Engine companies to be shut down will be announced today: http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/pr/2008/120408_7708.shtml

ABC Eyewitness News says:  http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6538412 If this is correct, E4 (Man), E161(S.I.), E271(Bklyn) and L53 (Bx) on City Island will be shut down overnight? ???

# EC 4 South Street, Manhattan
# EC 161 McClean Avenue, SI
# EC 271 Himrod Street, Brooklyn
# LC 53 Schofield Street, The Bronx (City Island)

**A fire unit on Governor's Island will be disbanded.

tl-ff said:
# EC 4 South Street, Manhattan
# EC 161 McClean Avenue, SI
# EC 271 Himrod Street, Brooklyn
# LC 53 Schofield Street, The Bronx (City Island)

**A fire unit on Governor's Island will be disbanded.
Yeah, aka: 2nd section of E4. So now L61 is again 1st due to City Island? ???      Here is the full announcement: http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/pr/2008/120408_7808.shtml

I assume the Commisioner has never experienced "gridlocked" traffic entering City Island on a summer weekend evening.    ??? ??? 

what do you guys think is this a temporary thing? what im trying to say is that if the budget crisis ends will they reopen them

anesti said:
what do you guys think is this a temporary thing? what im trying to say is that if the budget crisis ends will they reopen them

More than likely it will extend into the day tour.

This is gonna be great. 2nd due will know be first due 3rd will be 2nd due and 4th due will be 3rd due. If it turns out to be a fire 5th due will be 4th due. ISN'T THIS GONNA BE GREAT!!!! Great response times. Truck will just stand there waoting for the engine.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

what i would like to know is how they are planning to take away city island's 1st due truck? what are they going to tell the people of city island, if there is a fire we'll put water on it right away...but youll have to wait for 61 truck to come in over the bridge before they do a search. u cant ask 70 engine to strech a line and do a search at the same time. another thing the second and third due trucks (51,50) are kinda far out to be going in first due should 61 be out on another run...this whole closing companies at nite is going be be a disatser.

catry said:
Apparently the waterfalls made back 5 times their value by earning nearly 70 million over their exhibit time.

Pardon me, but exactly who put that 70 million into their cash registers, and how was that figure determined?

Or is it all just bull hockey?

If you check your history, I believe you will find that Ladder 53 has been eliminated before, possibly more than once.

johnd248 said:
If you check your history, I believe you will find that Ladder 53 has been eliminated before, possibly more than once.
The Mayor's only looking at stats like L53 had only 144 workers of which 12 were occupied structural workers. What they don't take into account is that L61 and L50 are quite a ways away and their response districts can place them even further away. In the case of E161,  located near the coastline which gets high winds which help to accelerate a fire. All three E152, E159 & E160 have large response areas and would have to travel long distances to get into E161's 1st due area. For instance, E160 gets many calls up into Sunnyside, Silver Lake, Grymes and Emerson Hills and if there is a little inclement weather, they're not going to be able to "fly" in via Clove Rd. (one narrow lane). E152 responds as far north as Tompkinsville and to get into E161's district they would have to go down Bay St. which has only one lane. E159 has Hylan Blvd. but they're also a Satellite engine which means the chances of them being out on another run and or being at the other end of their response area.