FDNY SUV's

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Word from the shops is that the bid going out for the new SUV's won't be going to Ford.  The Ford Pickups that were looked at ended being to long.

They are now looking into Chevy pickups to see how they would work.

J

JuniorBuff88

tbendick said:
Word from the shops is that the bid going out for the new SUV's won't be going to Ford.  The Ford Pickups that were looked at ended being to long.

Wow, they are making some huge changes on bids...Seagrave Marauder engine & trucks , Pierce Rescue's, now possibly Chevy SUV's

JuniorBuff88 said:
tbendick said:

Wow, they are making some huge changes on bids...Seagrave Marauder engine & trucks , Pierce Rescue's, now possibly Chevy SUV's

They changes arnt so big the reason why the FDNY is going with the new Muruder II is because Seagrave stopped making the Commander Chassis. As for the Rescue, Only Resuce 1 is a Pierce and it is Know believed that the city might be going with Seagraves for the new rescue too. Chevy Pick ups that new to me. Are they planning on using them as Battalions or just staff cars. If they indeed want to change Battalions I say go with the Tahoe or Yukon.

Thing is FDNY dosnt want to get rid of diesel hence the pick ups , all the firehouses have diesel in the house no regular gasoline so it would be a big transformation for them.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY wants something that is diesel but not too long, so that it won't be a problem fitting in the firehouses.

The Fords I am told were a few inch's too long.

The Chevy's they are looking at I believe are the Silverado and Sierra, will double check on that.

They would be 4 door crew cabs with a cap on the back.  

This would be for replacement of the older Chevy SUV's and Ford Expeditions as needed.

F

fdce54

Is Ford discontinuing the Expedition? If so, that would explain the pick up trucks since the move to the Expedition was due to GM no longer offering diesels in the Suburban/Tahoe vehicles and Ford still offered the diesel in the heavy duty Expedition.

tbendick said:
FDNY wants something that is diesel but not too long, so that it won't be a problem fitting in the firehouses.

The Fords I am told were a few inch's too long.

The Chevy's they are looking at I believe are the Silverado and Sierra, will double check on that.

They would be 4 door crew cabs with a cap on the back.  

This would be for replacement of the older Chevy SUV's and Ford Expeditions as needed.

I hate the sound of a Pick up Truck as a battalion chief. But i guess ill just have to get used to it. ;D

They use Ford Excursions not Expeditions, Ford stopped making the Excursion and started making a longer Expedition that looks really stupid, to be honest with you I'd rather see them go with the Tahoe or Suburban, and I think the FDNY will regret having the pickups.

I have to agree with RPM3311. The pick-up will be a poor choice.

I stand corrected RPM3311, Excursion is what I meant. Somehow the mind, the hands, the mouth no longer work together anymore. I think one thing and say or write another thing.

F

firekid52a

I don't like them to much but they should go with the expedition XL or EL witch ever one is longest b/c that was the one made to replace the excursion

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that expedition comes in diesel at this time.