FDNY Three stage high pressure pump

Can anyone here (that is familiar with the waterous 3 stage pumps) answer a basic question? What are the 3 large gauges on the pump panel, or what do they represent? In New Orleans, and everywhere else that I've seen, we have 2 large gauges high on the pump panel. Obviously, they are for Master Suction and Master Discharge (different verbage from one manufacturer to another) on both single and twin stage pumps. The photos that I've seen of high pressure/ 3 stage pumps show a third large guage where the other two master gauges are located. Do these show pressures of the pump in series, only when transfer valve is set in a particular mode, etc. ? The only photos show the apparatus in "Road" mode, so none of them have any reading. Any info is greatly appreciated, and if possible can you provide how they are marked on the panel, or what Seagrave/Waterous refer to them as?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Intake.    Pump press (2 stage).    High press (3rd stage)

You place pump into press mode (series) then pull a handle to activate the 3rd stage. 
3rd stage is in series with the 2stage section and only feeds two dedicated discharges. All other discharges will be feed in press mode from the 2 stage section.

Thanks!  I knew I came to the right place/ right source for info!  I didn't realize that the third stage was independent or dedicated system.  Very concise, simple explanation to question that has been driving me nuts, wondering about the possible configuration.  If ever I can help with Chauffeur (Operator, here in New Orleans) questions, please write.  I lean toward 1960's-80's era apparatus and equipment, I guess it's all becoming trivia now.

It also helps that his rig is a high pressure pump....one of three in the 3rd divison