FDNY Training Tips 2024-81: Gas Main Leak In The Bronx

Another Consideration: ruptures from large diameter (4 inch and up) gas pipes with pressures greater than 40psi are extremely loud. I have responded to a few over the years. During this incident The Bronx CO attempted numerous times to contact Div 7 and Bat 27 without success. Eventually Div 7 aide advised Bronx that they were having a hard time hearing the radios due to the high decibel noise. I get it. I have experience red it as well in the past. Perhaps issuing Motorola headsets for the APX radios to all Division and Battalions might help in the future. They quickly click on the radio in place of the remote shoulder microphone (RSM) so you can pop them on only when you need them. The cost about $350 each. Available with either 1 or two ear muffs. Good for not only high pressure gas leaks, but steam leaks, incidents at large sporting venues, or during noisy civil disturbances, just something for consideration.

BigCommerce-_24__98879.jpgScreenshot 2024-09-23 at 5.27.23 PM.png

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Another Consideration: ruptures from large diameter (4 inch and up) gas pipes with pressures greater than 40psi are extremely loud. I have responded to a few over the years. During this incident The Bronx CO attempted numerous times to contact Div 7 and Bat 27 without success. Eventually Div 7 aide advised Bronx that they were having a hard time hearing the radios due to the high decibel noise. I get it. I have experience red it as well in the past. Perhaps issuing Motorola headsets for the APX radios to all Division and Battalions might help in the future. They quickly click on the radio in place of the remote shoulder microphone (RSM) so you can pop them on only when you need them. The cost about $350 each. Available with either 1 or two ear muffs. Good for not only high pressure gas leaks, but steam leaks, incidents at large sporting venues, or during noisy civil disturbances, just something for consideration.

View attachment 45732View attachment 45733
A headset like this was in use during the West Indian day parade this year by one of the FDNY EMS bosses there. You can see him wearing it at the very beginning of this video from the NY Post: