FIRE ALARM BOXES

Article from CRAIN's N.Y.: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170405/PHOTOFINISH/170409954/these-curbside-relics-drive-the-fdny-crazy

I can see the point completely.  Unless you're one of those affected by the "10...serious structural fires", or your cell phone is uncharged when you need a cop, FD or EMS, or all  the cell service is out because of a major event (anyone remember 9/11 or Hurricane Sandy?), or sabotage has taken the cell system out of service, or the nearest pay phone isn't working (oh, wait - there are no more pay phones!), or the punks who just mugged you took your cell phone, or...  Gee, what could possibly go wrong with this?

Somebody, somewhere, in a position of authority better wake the heck up pretty soon and arrive at the common sense reality that our extraordinary over-reliance on technology has reached a critical point that will, at some point, turn around and bite us square on the butt.  People have their heads screwed so far up where the sun don't shine and they better pull them out for a few minutes, see what fresh air smells like and get with the program.  The old bromide that "lives are at stake and people will die" has been so over-used and abused that it no longer has meaning.  I doubt that will happen, though, since our political "leaders" (yes - I know that's an oxymoron) need the technology companies' "campaign donations" that will keep the electorate (that bothers to turn out to vote) in line and pulling the proper levers.

Getting this small piece into Crain's may well be a move by the City to enlist support from the business community to do away with the last line of defense. 

Last year one of our site members who is now retired informed me last August that the boxes are remaining. All the pull boxes are supposed to be changed over to ERS and the system is supposed to be fully upgraded and repaired.

....and by the way Willy D. I finally got an FDNY pedestal for my box that I'm restoring. I'll be sure to post pictures when everything is fininshed

Anyone out there know what kind of special tool you can get to remove the panels on a box pedestal ? The fasteners are rounded heads with a pin in the middle, might be some kind of heavy duty rivet ? Please respond via PM and not on this thread...thanks.

Had to use an ERS box for NYPD a week and a half ago for an accident no injuries, person involved couldn't get 911 to answer the phone for about 15 mins. After I gave the 911 operator the very detailed info she asked me the same questions over again and then asked "what cell phone are you calling from", I stared at the speaker in amazement for a moment and said "I'm using a street box". My question is, doesn't the ERS box come up on their console or is 911 that bad ?

HCO said:
The ERS and solar boxes work through the Verizon cell system.
I did not know this....anything working through the cell system is not the answer.....too many instances of cell service going down in less than major circumstances & more than once on rumors like major storms or earthquakes that never affected our area.....totally unreliable....go back to the hard wired telegraph system the dice has been rolled for way too long. 

mack

Administrator
A few of us visited Boston Fire Alarm recently.  The Deputy Superintendent told us that the BFD fire alarm boxes work well and are not expensive to keep up - because they have maintained their fire alarm box system very well.  It is still in excellent operating condition and they get fires and emergencies from these boxes. 

mack said:
A few of us visited Boston Fire Alarm recently.  The Deputy Superintendent told us that the BFD fire alarm boxes work well and are not expensive to keep up - because they have maintained their fire alarm box system very well.  It is still in excellent operating condition and they get fires and emergencies from these boxes.

I must agree with "mack" here. I was there listening to this Deputy Superintendent talk to us on why the fire alarm boxes WILL REMAIN in service in Boston (actually the oldest fire alarm system in the country). I just wish I had taken notes as he was talking. He mentioned about how important and reliable these fire alarm boxes have been. Not only for getting firefighters and apparatus to the scene of a fire, but even in cases of car accidents, a civilian having a medical condition, even a child having a strange car follow him/her.

He mentioned how the children in school are taught to "stop, drop and roll". About what to do when a smoke detector goes off, and if I remember correctly he also said it's important for children to know how and when to use a street corner fire alarm box whenever they need help. Making that a part of their classes as well.

dan

The yellow PD call boxes are cellular technology. The FDNY boxes are on fiber optic cable. Not much copper left. Mechanical pull boxes being phased out and replaced by ERS in SI and Queens. The days of a single source pull box or a ERS being a fire are long gone. Still happens once in a blue moon. Even the modernized box system is end of life and expensive to maintain. But FDNY has a fiber infrastructure that goes to every part of the city and is independently powered.

In regards to FDNY pull boxes:

I'm in the process of restoring one with the pedestal. I only need one authentic item and I was hoping someone out there can help. I need the rectangular box identifier plate (box #24) , this is the only item missing and I'm asking if anyone knows someone in the Comms Shops that works on these that can make a number plate for me. If not, I'm sure can I can get one made somewhere. If I need to slide someone some $$$ that will be fine. Please respond via a PM, thank you.

The pedestal I'm restoring has ESCO 1997 stamped on it. Is that the year it was inspected or last maintenance ?

Yes Ray, it came out great.

Nice job there Deano.

If that box could talk, I'm sure it could tell some stories. And I'm sure, it never let anybody down. It did the job it was supposed to do for many years.

Any info on the box number or what street corner it was from ?

I have two pull boxes. A different style though from the FDNYs.

One box is from the main intersection of downtown Bridgeport, Ct. It is Box 38 and was located at Main St and Fairfield Ave. I guess that would be considered Bridgeport's Times Square.

The other is from Norwich, Ct. It is Box 226, Main and Palmer St.

Both cities did away with the pull boxes in the 1980s.

The coded telegraph wheel is Box 24, most likely Brooklyn at the corner of DuPont & Franklin, the pedestal's original location is unknown. I bought the pedestal from a fellow in Long Island, he had a warehouse with about 30 of them. I basically did a process of elimination....When I got the box I found out that the outer shell for Manhattan box 24 was still mounted without any guts, Queens box 24 is for a pipeline location and Staten Island box 24 was still in use. I was wondering when this style first came into use, I asked g-man but, he didn't know. Thanks guys for the nice comments