Fire ice unit

I have heard several times the question asked of whether the IC wants a fire ice unit. What is this?

HCO

The Department, in conjunction with Con-Ed, is evaluating FireIce, a commercial powder that is applied through an educator nozzle and produces a gel-like product to coat and insulate burning electrical cables in manholes. Initial test units are Engine/Purple K Units 228 and 229.

All purple K units are now trained in FIREICE
I haven't been to work in about a week now, but as of last wednesday morning the policy is as follows..

If the engine that is housed with the associated Purple K unit is 1st, 2nd or 3rd due on the report of a manhole, they are to respond with it...    Should a 10-75 be transmitted 1 additional engine will be assigned. (box will go out with 3x2, with one of the units being a purple K unit,  on the 10-75 a 4th engine and 5th engine would then be assigned)

on a box where the purple K is not normally assigned, when the IC states they have a manhole fire, they must be asked if they require a purple K unit for FIREICE...

As of last week, only the main units were trained, and the only ones who could be assigned... The back-ups were in the process of being trained, and from there I imagine the training will be expanded....

In starfire, the engine transporting the Purple K unit will have a designation of I for FIREICE..
so on the ticket it would look like

E201 E228I E241 T114 L109 BC40 P228

Thank you to all. I wasn't aware of that.

Just another example of how the FDNY takes the lead and others will surely follow.

How many Purple K units are there? (I mean the small flatbeds with the larger tanks of powder, not the engines that carry a small amount).

HCO

All six of the Purple K units (with Engines 33, 84, 163, 228, 229, 326) as well as Engines 62, 82, and 319 are designated FireIce units. The three engines do not have second pieces.

JA290 question for you ....what if the run is pre released ?....the Unit w/Fireice  whether  1st 2nd or 3rd due would then have to turn around after a few blocks & return to qtrs for it when additional info stating a "manhole" was recd ?

68jk09 said:
JA290 question for you ....what if the run is pre released ?....the Unit w/Fireice  whether  1st 2nd or 3rd due would then have to turn around after a few blocks & return to qtrs for it when additional info stating a "manhole" was recd ?

The dispatcher may tell the engine when they get further info or they may cut the engine loose from the box to return to quarters and retrieve the pk rig then return to the box, which the engine in my house has done numerous times.. Only con-ed can authorize it's operation into a manhole. 

Yes but my point is that the pre releasing uct debacle could crimp the Response time of the fireice.

They can't use the FireIce until ConEd is on scene anyway and ConEd hates the stuff.

68jk09 said:

Chief, you're right about the pre-release and the U Cant Tell, but luckily, we normally get the additional info within a minute (or 2) and are able to get the units as they are pulling out of quarters...  In the case that they would already be on the road for a few minutes or 10-84, then there is not much we can do.... then again, if the unit is taking up from another box or outside activity's (BI, hydrants, etc) they would have to return to quarters to pick it up anyway..

As  JA290 was explaining regarding the Fire Ice units....Here is a actual ticket received in quarters yesterday......

SPECIAL CALL
E319I

* RESPOND TO BROOKLYN *
BOX 0744        1305 MYRTLE AVE

DEKALB AVE        CEDAR ST

Q = OTH    NON-STRUC

SEWERS ON FIRE

02/16/14    1832 HRS

thanks again. Picture worth a thousand words. set up is the same as the old pick up tube into the five gallon foam solution pail.