Fire Ice

I think I asked about this last year, but I am still a little confused (old age has finally hit!).  Is the Fire Ice a separate rig, or is it something carried on select Engine Companies?

I have very little experience with manhole fires. At what point is water applied to the manhole, and is the manhole flooded or visible fire just knocked down? 

Thanks, Spring is almost here!

FIRE ICE is not a separate Rig .....it is carried by selected ENGs....it was introduced after i RET so i have no experience w/it......as far as water is concerned there is no particular point when water is applied .....water is  really is not supposed to be applied to a manhole unless CON ED advises to do it either by being on the scene or over the radio thru the Dispatcher however many times when there are extended or NO ETAs & especially if there are nearby or above (cars) exposure problems or extension to dwellings via underground conduits  the FD Incident Commander will flood a blown manhole (we never remove covers on unblown manholes)  many times the application of water will force excessive amounts of Carbon Monoxide into adjoining manholes & nearby dwellings ......continuing monitoring w/meters is necessary......as far as the actual flooding i always had the ENG mounted Stang used w/an FT-2 Fog nozzle on the tip.....this keeps the FFs at a safe distance......some manholes fill up fast ..others not......most manhole Fires  are handled by monitoring adjacent manholes & checking dwellings for CO & keeping civilians at a safe distance &  Con Ed on arrival cutting power in adjacent holes & no water used  by FDNY.....when Con Ed is on the scene w/their vacuum truck which they use to suck the water out of a previously filled manhole (by FDNY or nature) they sometime use the water in the truck w/ their small hose & spray nozzle on a stick like applicator  to knock down small amounts of Fire in the hole after they cut power.....manhole Fires although mostly routine can also be very dangerous often when they seem to be subsiding or dormant ......CO can migrate into dwellings ...adjacent manholes & sewer lines & into light poles & walk / don't walk signs all which if a CO explosion occurs can result in flying pieces of material both from the street light overhead lamp ...the walk/dont walk signal post or the base of the street ilght box door.....i have seen manhole & electrical vaults blow w/resultant shock wave damage to store front as well as upper floor windows ......a bus shelter destroyed....cars parked over a manhole cover lifted in the air......a nearby Rig shook so violently that when moved there were little piles of dirt from the wheel wells  on the ground.....one time on Broadway  in BKLYN a blown cover landed on the EL track above....sometime covers blow & land whole...sometime they actually can break into pieces.....like i said although mostly routine some can be really dangerous .....constant vigilance is important & civilians should be kept at a distance & away form adjacent unblown covers...... the Thermal Imaging Camera is sometime a help in checking adjacent unblown covers for excessive heat . ......in NYC salt is used on roadways before during & after snowfalls of even minor accumulations ......also as of late the practice is to salt roadways BEFORE a predicted snow fall which a few times this year never occurred leaving salt doing nothing but causing manhole Fires (& car damage)......generally in NYC a manhole Fire can occur at any time of year but are more prevalent after a snowstorm when melting water runs into manhole's & especially when the first rain occur's washing the salt into the holes.....the other prevalent season is in the extreme hot weather when there is a big demand for electricity which overheats underground wiring......both seasons are very predictable & put a drain on resources.   

HCO

FireIce is on the six Purple K units (second pieces of Engines 33, 84, 163, 228, 229, 326) and three engine companies (62, 82, 319). The product is applied under the direction of a chief officer and in coordination with a ConEd supervisor. Each unit has an eductor/nozzle with a 25-foot ?-inch pickup hose and a number of 25-pound FireIce powder containers. The eductor/nozzle is supplied by a 1? inch line from a pumper at 60-80 psi.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Latest memo about fire ice says something like the Chief can order the use prior to con ed arrival.  The thought being to knock the fire down prior to con ed in the event they are delayed.