Foam Tender Unit

In 1991, FDNY purchased a new style foam unit,  built by Saulsbury in a 1992 Mack MR chassis.  I understand that it was the first foam unit ever purchased new.  

Does anyone know the history of the unit?  Where was it housed, when was it deployed etc.

Is the unit still in service?

its at 238 i think it responds in on 10-86 codes, its still in service last time i saw it responding was in 2005. Dont now if it will ever replaced by a newer model.

anesti said:
its at 238 i think it responds in on 10-86 codes, its still in service last time i saw it responding was in 2005. Dont now if it will ever replaced by a newer model.

Thanks for the response.  As far as replacing it, I would think that a special rig like this should have a good shelf life.

anesti said:
its at 238 i think it responds in on 10-86 codes, its still in service last time i saw it responding was in 2005. Don't now if it will ever replaced by a newer model.

You are correct. I found a picture of it on FDNY  Trucks at E238 Brooklyn.

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn/e238.htm

I may be wrong but i dont think this is around anymore. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

HCO

The Foam Tender, FDNY registration MF 9201, a 1992 Mack MR with a Saulsbury XD body, has three 1,000 gallon tanks, and a 200 gpm Edwards rotary gear foam pump.  It is not rated at "3000 GPM" as earlier indicated above.  

The unit is assigned on 10-86 signals, and is cross-staffed by Engine 238, backup is Engine 325.

It's still around.  Last time I remember it being called was the plane crash in the Hudson.

Being that I live 4 blocks away, I'll tell you that she is still in service. I think it's gonna be around for awhile and when it's time is up I'd be really shocked if they get another one. If it used a full load of foam more than 5 times I wouldn't believe it. They do occaisionally respond to incidents, but rarely use it.

A few years ago on Long Island when foam was needed for a  tanker fire on the LIE and Sagtikos Pkwy one of the MacArthur Airport rigs responded and applied a lot of foam - perhaps an arrangement could be put in place (if not already) to call the Port Authority for their asistance - any thoughts?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The FOAM tender is still in service looks a little beat up now as it's getting older.  Was detailed out there not too long ago to drive it for the tour.  It has 3 1000 gallon tanks but I think 1 of them is OOS.

Remember FDNY also has the FOAM units which carry 1000 gallons, hose and other foam stuff.  So I don't think we need any help with FOAM from outside of the FDNY.  PAPD has worked incidents outside of the airports but don't see FDNY getting into any formal agreements, some turf issues.

efd274 said:
A few years ago on Long Island when foam was needed for a  tanker fire on the LIE and Sagtikos Pkwy one of the MacArthur Airport rigs responded and applied a lot of foam - perhaps an arrangement could be put in place (if not already) to call the Port Authority for their assistance - any thoughts?

Interesting. When the airliner crashed on the north shore of Nassau in Cove's Neck, Port Authority sent a contingent of Crash trucks to the scene.  Also Mayor Dinkins sent about two dozen EMS ambulances.  The ambulance service at the time was run by HHC.

Don't know if this will be read and understand this is 13 years late but to my knowledge the rig was taken out of service during 2020 to go to auction and disposal

Bulldog

Bulldog
It actually looks brand-new! I'm sure it doesn't have many miles on it nor has it been used an awful lot. FDNY does get rid of a lot of units because of their age not because they need to be replaced. Yet another great example of stupidity that many fire departments have about older equipment and that ISO and the unions help push.

I think it had about 30-40k miles
It actually looks brand-new! I'm sure it doesn't have many miles on it nor has it been used an awful lot. FDNY does get rid of a lot of units because of their age not because they need to be replaced. Yet another great example of stupidity that many fire departments have about older equipment and that ISO and the unions help push.

It can go the "opposite" way as well.

I know of a small city in Connecticut with a population of about 40,000 people, covering about 30 square miles.

That city has 24 front line pieces of fire apparatus.
3 - Heavy Rescues
3 - Light Duty Rescues
3 - Ladder Trucks
2 - Tankers
The others - including one or two Brush trucks and the rest Engines

In November, 2017 a bond issue was passed to buy FIVE NEW FIRE TRUCKS at a cost of $3.2 MILLION DOLLARS
Then in February, 2021, the McGrath Consulting Group stated that "the city has a heck of a lot more fire apparatus than bigger cities"

That small city has MORE Fire Apparatus than Bridgeport and Hartford, Ct., - PUT TOGETHER - with a total population of 264,000 people

The city that I am referring to is certainly NOT alone.
I know because I live there
Within the regional area, most have 3 to 4 times what they need.