Frequent Flyers they are called

Recently I visited a good friend who is a firefighter in Providence, RI. He works at Fire Headquarters where there is an Engine Co (Engine 3), a Truck Co (Ladder 1), a Heavy Rescue Co (Special Hazards 1), a Division Chief (Division 1), and a Rescue Ambulance (Rescue 4 - one of seven ambulances used to transport patients).

He took me around and he showed me an area that as a buff, I was quite familiar with. About a four or five block area in the 300-400 numbers on Broad St. This area is known for what is sometimes referred to as "Frequent Flyers", by people who abuse the 9-1-1 system requesting to be taken to the hospital by ambulance, rather than get on a bus or walk to the nearest walk in clinic.

Here is a brief story written by a Providence firefighter. But I'm willing to bet, anyone who works on an ambulance serving the public in many places will be able to relate to this.

http://providencejournal.com/opinion/20160924/michael-morse-firefighters-padding-numbers-or-saving-lives 

nfd thanks for bringing back memories. Been there, done that as they say and vividly remember the utter nonsense of the "frequent flyers" and the "dial 911 taxi." Just a quick anecdote, New Years morning 1985 on a 07x15 tour, we had a "gentleman" who called 911 about 0900. We responded and upon inquiring to the nature of his call he responded by saying he had a cold. My partner asked him nicely why he called 911 for a cold. The patient's response.."Are you refusing to take me? I know my rights and I'll sue you." Of course we were going to take him anyway but here's the kicker...he lived in a first floor apartment and the entrance to the hospital E.D. was directly, yes directly 2 traffic lanes, across the street from his place of residence. You just can't make this s**t up!

As Former EMT/Ambulance Crew Chief - I wish I had a Dollar for Every Time ... Well, Never Mind, I got Paid by the Hour...  ;)

Similar story to memory master, during my time at Liberty Outpost,  just before I ended the midnight shift we would get a call for this frequent flyer. She always had an "emergency" and requested Brookdale Hospital. Always dressed and "ready to go". After a while I caught onto the gig...clinic appointment...One morning, as usual call comes in, get her on board and start to transport...I tell the MVO, this is a "little more serious", head for Kings County. She was so mad, I thought she was going to kill me! Next time she tried, I said the same thing before transporting...that was the last time I saw her...

Frequent fliers are ridiculous,my most recent one was mad that the previous time he got taken in,I wasn't there,I think the one that got me the most was a old lady who always called for stupid reasons,once she made it sound like she fell and got hurt,we headed there LandS and we arrived to see her in her bed pointing to the floor,she dropped her REMOTE ,her remote and she couldn't pick it up so she called 911,the ems system needs major help quick

I agree the telephone triage needs to improve. As for the "frequent fliers", So many times I would have the ACR filled out except for times and vitals after just being given the address over the radio. I did learn, sadly enough, that a great deal of the elderly "frequent callers" are just lonely and want someone to talk to for a few minutes. Yes, a unit is on an unnecessary call so to speak but talking to and maybe doing a little something for that person such as replacing a light bulb, opening a tight jar cap is all the world to them. Yes, it's a pain in the arse when you get that same run again as you bite into that hero you just managed to get on the dashboard for lunch. You never know, that may be us someday calling for a bus just so we can tell some war stories to these "kids" of today.

Come to Philly where our FFs cross-pollinate to EMS, both as rotational BLS units and EMS backfill...stories will make your head spin!