GLORY DAYS

Going back to reply # 18 above ...i spent several tours Covering with the "Rats" always good ....i remember back then they had a painting on the wall that was a searchlight shining above a city skyline...it was a takeoff on the Batman / Gotham City thing however instead of the Searchlight projecting the Bat Signal showing a Bat over the City it projected the Rat Signal showing a Rat over the City.

JohnnyGage said:
MEALS Part 3:
“Something is in the air”

I remember it well, summer of 1992. It was the usual hot sticky night in Bushwick. Walking across the street from the parking lot where we parked our cars in a secured lot toward the firehouse, you could smell the rotting garbage from empty lots that permeated the thick air. I checked into the housewatch, looked at the incoming  riding list and was delighted, all great guys and officers working tonight. I had the feeling the stars were aligning we were going to have a special night tour!

The night tour started as expected,  the usual runs, abandoned derelict car fire here and there, food on the stove mixed with a few 92’s. We were working up an appetite, the Engine had the meal and served it promptly at 2100 hours...Normalcy ended at 2101 hours.

As I’ve explained before in another thread, the Knickerbocker Avenue quarters was designed for a single engine company, Engine 277. Ladder 112 was temporarily relocated to 277 until a new quarters for them was constructed. This was a few years ago. (Currently E 277 and L 112 share a state of the art new firehouse). This was way before the new quarters was built. The temporary relocation became permanent. The apparatus was positioned front to back with with a single bay apparatus door. Simply put, you had two companies living upon each other. Bathrooms were few, one portable shower was installed, rooms were way to small, locker room congested, the bunkroom tight. The kitchen was a typical galley type kitchen you would find in a small home and the dining room was probably 15 x 15 feet... attached to a small sitting room that could just about hold two couches one in front of the other in front of a wall mounted TV.

In the dining room, there was two tables. One in front of the other. Engine guys on one table, truck guys on the other. Two guys would sit in the middle against the outside walls of the room, someone on the ends , four would sit squished inside between the two tables. Seating for 12.

I don’t know what started it, maybe it was a flick of a string bean, maybe it was a toss of a bun that had a little ummph on it. But it started. A little more tossing of food from one table to the other. Guys were beginning to position themselves... for they knew what was unfolding and close at hand. Incoming artillery was striking guys on both sides. It got heated. The engine lieutenant who was sitting in the middle row trying to eat in peace and ignore the surrounding shenanigans was abruptly struck directly in the back of his bald head with a handful of mash potatoes with gravy. This usually very calm and collected boss became unglued in a flash. He jumped to his feet, and without directly looking at anyone demanded an immediate cease fire. Both sides shut down giggling and kindly went back to eating. We continued to “eyeball” each other as we ate.

I was sitting next to my truck buddy, Ira. Ira was the recipient of the first barrage of food from the other table, the engine table, namely Joey who fired the first round.

I prompted Ira as he was looking at the food that remained on his plate. “Did you see that?”...”No” said Ira. The instigator I am whispered in his ear... “Joey just gave you the finger and stink-eye while you weren’t looking”.  That’s all it took...

Timing could not have been better. The department phone mounted on the dining room wall above Joey’s head rang...Joey stood up on first ring to answer “Engine 277 …..”, Ira took a handful of the jelly cranberry sauce, and pitching from the stretch he threw a devastating direct blow to the right side of Joey's head not eight feet away with such accuracy and force it sounded like spackle being slammed and splattered against a marble wall. The results were uglier than “Custer's last stand!”. Poor Joey, he never saw it coming. Cranberry was everywhere. The telephone mouthpiece had to be taken apart to clean out the sauce that was driven into the holes. Of course, the kitchen and dining room was washed down and returned to good order. The engine boss, never said a word and headed upstairs.

Many outstanding fire officers and firefighters would call 277/112 home for their careers. I was very fortunate to work alongside these members. The fire duty and closeness of the firehouse made our bond between each other that much stronger. The camaraderie and razzing was unparalleled to any other firehouse I ever worked in. For a while the firehouse was called “The Ant Farm” for good reason.

That night we caught a kick a$$ first floor job first due off of Central Avenue towards Engine 252. Joey had the nob, like the solid firefighting machine he and the members of E 277 they moved in and knocked the fire down, as we went about our assigned tasks. Another night in Bushwick.

Something was in the air...cranberry sauce!

Thanks for reading...hope you enjoyed.  KMG-365

Ira T. ... A good friend. We buffed jobs together before getting sworn in on 7/11/81 by Mayor Edward I. Koch.

Attachments

• Ira & Me 1981 001_crop.jpg
    Ira & Me 1981 001_crop.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 174
I enjoy reading these stories too. The Great and Funny entertaining stories of the FDNY during those Glory Days.

But as a buff, when I read the name "Ira", I also thought of Ira T., a guy who I first met at Engine 290. I believe he also worked Ladder 111 and retired as a Fire Marshall.

Ira treated me great. He had invited me to his home in Brooklyn and one day we went around to get a few rig shots.

I haven't seen Ira in years. I hope he's doing okay and enjoying his retirement. I never forgot how great he treated me.

I know Ira T worked in 103, then became an MPO in 290. Ira T from POSA, you met him, you never forgot him, great energetic personality...From what I understand, there was only two Ira's on the job. Both Ira T. I got to work with both of them in 112 on same night tour when Ira from 103 was detailed to Knickerbocker Av. Both outstanding, great guys!

The previous two stories are comical. In my career, I was lucky to be assigned to L 112. We had a great area to cover, we responded to areas where there was only single engine coverage. Being located on Knickerbocker Avenue gave us a huge advantage of a quick response. The area really had no "Projects" to speak of, which I was glad about. Our coverage was pretty much row frame and Brownstones. Fires in RF and Brownstones are "quick and furious". You have to be aggressive and get ahead of them quickly. Both structures had what we called "the dead man's" room. It was a room, usually over the front door that only had one exit out of the building. In a fire, the occupant of that room could easily be trapped. Frames were designed to be supported on either side. You had to be "heads up" if a frame was unsupported on either side for fear of early collapse.

Like I mentioned, the RF and Brownstone fire could be fast and furious. Early and quick line deployment (get first line into operation was paramount) knocked these fires out quickly when only room and contents and be back in service for the next one in a couple of hours...BUT, If the fire got into the common cockloft of the frames you would be there all day at a multiple alarm.

It would not be uncommon to catch one or two jobs during a 24 in our area. Sometimes we did "the hat trick" with three jobs. (My definition of a job; when you turn the corner you don't need to look for the address). One night we did the "hat trick" on one box: we turned out for a top floor job on Knickerbocker Ave, about 3 blocks south of the firehouse. It was a good a$$ kicker, three windows showing fire, but we knocked it out pretty quick. The chief told us to go back to quarters for relief and a change of clothes. The LCC instead put us 10-8 "available". Then what followed, "Brooklyn to L 112, getting numerous calls for a Bodega on Wilson". Yep, all hands job. We were exhausted, told the LCC stay away from the radio and started up Putnam towards the firehouse. It is now early morning. A block from quarters residents are running in the street yelling to us to stop, there is a fire in the building. Sure enough, room and contents in the rear top floor of a frame.

Furious and fast, these fires could be devestating and cruel to the occupants. I saw some of the nastiest fires in my career there in Bushwick, and I keep those memories to myself... Maybe that's why when we had a little fun in the firehouse, we had fun....

Thanks for reading...next, more TT stories!  KMG-365

JohnnyGage said:
I know Ira T worked in 103, then became an MPO in 290. Ira T from POSA, you met him, you never forgot him, great energetic personality...From what I understand, there was only two Ira's on the job. Both Ira T. I got to work with both of them in 112 on same night tour when Ira from 103 was detailed to Knickerbocker Av. Both outstanding, great guys!

Ira T. also worked in L132 for awhile after E232, Ira was the original "Tin Man" in the Tin Man outfit.

nfd2004 said:
I enjoy reading these stories too. The Great and Funny entertaining stories of the FDNY during those Glory Days.

But as a buff, when I read the name "Ira", I also thought of Ira T., a guy who I first met at Engine 290. I believe he also worked Ladder 111 and retired as a Fire Marshall.

Ira treated me great. He had invited me to his home in Brooklyn and one day we went around to get a few rig shots.

I haven't seen Ira in years. I hope he's doing okay and enjoying his retirement. I never forgot how great he treated me.

I also had the privilege of working with Ira T. when I was assigned to St. John's East and he was assigned to The Eye of The Storm. Great guy as well.

JohnnyGage's meals' stories bring to mind one of my own, not that it can compare to JG's....anyway, here goes

Back in the late 70s into the 80s, the houses that comprised the 16th battalion back then (69/28, 80/23, 37/40), all pretty much had the same meal policy - you were either in on all meals or out of all of 'em, no jumping in if it was a meal you liked or out when you didn't care for what was being served. 

The 3 houses all had a policy of not charging guys from the 16th for the meal if detailed or working OT. You were always glad if you were detailed or worked OT in 37/40 because their meals were sumptuous, and EXPENSIVE, but yours was a freebie. There was a guy (FF P.A.) who was out on the meals, never a popular thing, but even more so in 37/40.

In the early 80s, the 5th Division, in quarters with 80/23, was looking for a volunteer for a long term detail as a division aide - who should step up but FF P.A. Even though we already knew he was out of the meals on 125 St., we still got obligatory phone call telling us that he is outta the meals.

Back then, the 5th Division aides would relieve each other at 4pm for the 6x9 tour. The new aide quickly developed his routine, come in at 4pm, relieve his mx partner, make his way to the kitchen for a coffee. Now in most firehouses, the kitchen is fairly quiet around 4pm and P.A. started to alter his routine a bit. He was seen looking in the fridge and on the stove, presumedly looking for lunch leftovers. Now 80/23 had a courtyard between the apparatus floor and the kitchen, with 1 window looking into the kitchen. One day P.A. was spotted helping himself to some leftovers, luckily the guy who saw this, said nothing to him , but certainly passed the info onto the guys.

Net time P.A. was due in for a 6x9 tour, the guys buying lunch made spaghetti and chicken parm, but also bought 2 jars of alpo dog food, and not for McDuff the firehouse dog. After lunch, everything's cleaned up and put away - a pot of leftover spaghetti was still on the stove. The alpo was also heated up and mixed in with some leftover red sauce thus becoming a delicious looking, but foul smelling "meat" sauce. Not long after P.A. arrived at 139 St., he was in the kitchen, day tour guys made sure that nobody was in there. It wasn't but a couple of minutes and P.A. had a small bowl of the spaghetti and "meat" sauce heating up in the microwave, there must of been 6/7 guys all trying to look through that courtyard kitchen window. When he took the 1st mouthful, to this day, I don't know how he didn't hear the laughter from the courtyard. Damn, if he didn't scarf down that bowl full of spaghetti and alpo in record time.

Couple of the guys walk into the kitchen with McDuff's food bowl and start fiddling with what's left of the "meat" sauce, talking about how they cooked up an alpo "meat" sauce as a nice treat for McDuff - the look on the aide's face was priceless! For the remainder of his detail as an aide, whenever he walked into the kitchen, there were always a few barks from the guys - he was Italian and had a sorta long surname and Alpo replaced the first 4 letters of his name - he became known as P. Alpo......o.
Pretty sure he was glad when his detail was over.       

^^^^^Good stuff 8060! You can't make this up. It was genius of the brothers to send a simple message...We also called those who were out and trolled around the refrigerator "seagulls"...one brother used to be "out" and eat all the commissary peanut butter with a spoon.

Like you said, you are either "in" or "out" of the meal. When I cooked in Brooklyn  I'd ask; in or out. If he said "what are you having"  I'd say, "I'll take that as an OUT".

69 METS said:
nfd2004 said:

I also had the privilege of working with Ira T. when I was assigned to St. John's East and he was assigned to The Eye of The Storm. Great guy as well.
That Ira T. was in 280...232..290...111...103 then Marshall...a nice  guy .....when he went to the Tinhouse they told him he was the junior man so he had to be the Tinman at the Annual Tin house Run to greet people showing up so they wrapped him in foil & put some silver cream on his face & finished it off with a funnel for his hat.

FIREHOUSE MANNERS 101: Covering lieutenant, and not a fan favorite of the troops... comes downstairs for his morning cup of joe. (In all firehouses, members coming in for day tours it is customary to bring in a choice of morning treats; english muffins, bagels, donuts, crumb cake, etc. Just don't come in empty handed). The kitchen is coming alive with fresh troops coming in and night tour guys heading for home.  This Lt notices a fresh bag of bagels placed on the table, he picks up one bagel, looks it over, nah, does it to another, and another, the guys are watching this incredulously! He must have manhandled a half dozen... until he found the one for him. One of the regular members walks over; "Got what your looking for, lou?" Then tosses the bag of bagels into the trash can.

CAN'T MAKE THIS UP:  On Knickerbocker Ave you did not only need thick skin, you needed a shell.

One of the senior members has brought in a case of 12 new coffee mugs. We used to call them "toilet bowl mugs". They are the common thick white ceramic type mug usually served in resturants and can withstand daily abuse. Except for some reason at the "Ant Farm"... where none of them have a complete handle, only two stubs.  This trooper is happy to "present" a new case of mugs, because he is sick and tired of "drinking out of mugs with broken handles"...(you know where this is going, right?)...No sooner as he heads upstairs to change into work duty clothes one of the brothers is gleefully smacking off the handles, one by one, over the sink with the back of a heavy knife and placing them back in the case.

I am thankful that we could only work 24 hours. I don't think I could take another hour of my face hurting so much from laughing!

Hope you enjoyed...thanks for reading. KMG-365.

68jk09 said:
69 METS said:
nfd2004 said:

That Ira T. was in 280...232..290...111...103 then Marshall...a nice  guy .....when he went to the Tinhouse they told him he was the junior man so he had to be the Tinman at the Annual Tin house Run to greet people showing up so they wrapped him in foil & put some silver cream on his face & finished it off with a funnel for his hat.

If it's the Ira T. I know - From Flatlands Brooklyn (?)... I worked w/him on ' The Yellow Chase Trucks' @ Chase Auto E.35 x. 'I' & Dead End. (Talk about your Glory Days!) He & I Chased as many Fires as MVA"s.
He Always wanted to be 'On The Job'.
Chief J.K. Probably knows this guy as Chief was a bit o' 'Chaser' his-self back in 'The Day'. That's how he & I first met.
Richie M., Sandy B., Tommy M. ('Reno') and bunch of others went to The Job from our Ranks. I didn't make it; (Long, Boring Story...).
Ira & Sandy usually worked together at Chase we/ me and most of the Talk and 'Action' was FDNY.
We'd have 'Occasional Cocktails' @ O'Halorhan's @ J & Nostrand. There was some FDNY talk there too; but most of the Attention & Energy at 'O's' was focused on Females & Drinkin'.
O's was a very Irish-Sounding Place but was owned by a Little Italian Guy named 'Sammy'.
Sammy Always put-on a Fantastic Spread & Feast w/ Irish Music all day on St. Paddy's.
Great People; Great Fun!
If anyone know's of Richie, Ira, Sandy, 'Reno'; I'd love to catch-up w/ their FDNY Careers Here...Thanks, Staj.  8)

^^^ STAjo ...  Richie M. was originally a FF in ENG*205 back when he chased for "Alladin Auto Body" ....he later transferred to SQ*1 & is now Retired....  http://www.2040-cars.com/chevrolet/Silverado-2500/chase-truck-tow-truck-wrecker-scarp-cars-be-your-own-boss-859823/

TOUGH TIMMY; P 4
'Driving the Boss'

I have been working in Engine 88 for a couple of weeks now since Proby School. I'm officially the new guy, the fresh meat, or simply the Proby. And, I am assigned to the ?Captains groups? so when the Captain works, so do I with another five guys. Tonight Captain Gallagher, who has a well known reputation and nicknamed ?Tough Timmy (TT)? is returning from his extended medical leave from injuries sustained at a job on 183 Street. TT a no nonsense, gritty Marine Korean War veteran. All the horror stories imparted to me, all the ?just you wait?, all the ?He?s going to eat you up? will be discovered any minute. The anticipation is going to come to a head any minute as soon as he walks through the door, today is the day of reckoning.

Going about my diligent duties checking the SCBA on the rig, Captain ?Tough? Timmy Gallagher walks in, we meet eye to eye as he starts climbing the stairs to his office. He is in a happy mood, and you can tell he?s glad to get back to work, doing what he loves to do, put out fires. He notices me halfway up the staircase...?Hey, you must be the new proby...come up to my office? he says...still smiling.

I secure the SCBA back on the rig and give him a minute or so to change, then head upstairs to his office. I knock on the open door where we exchange pleasantries and a hand shake... I?m thinking so far so good, he is ?really in a pleasant mood? and I aim to keep my good fortune going. I told him I was looking forward to meeting him and working alongside him. We gabbed for a minute or two...his next remark surprised me. TT says he?s glad to have me aboard, ?I understand you worked with the DCFD for three years, they?re a pretty busy department?. Hey goes on, ?Do what you're supposed to do, but I?m not going to treat you as a proby?. That was a relief, and we immediately hit it off. Can I say, ?it was love at first sight?. I immediately felt a bond and honor to work with this gritty veteran. That night after dinner, he and I talked about fires, the old days, families and much more... he was very interested in the Washington DC Fire Department. As we got to know each other better, I realized he was a big ?BUFF? and loved buffs. Buffs would stop by when he was working to ride with us...I went home the next morning, I just made a new special friend!

During my proby year I had many late night conversations with TT... I told him about the DCFD Proby School mentioning in part that at the DCFD proby school everyone graduates as a ?Motor Pump Operator? MPO (or as known in FDNY: Engine Company Chauffeur/ ECC). One of your immediate assignments in your assigned company is to drive your company apparatus and be qualified within three months as a MPO. TT thought that was very interesting.

The regular ECC for the Cap happens to be our union rep, Joe Broskie. Joe is very involved with union business and often times has to run out and take care of union stuff. Back then, the Captain could ?designate? any of his members as ?Company Qualified Chauffeur? to serve as a backup chauffeur if they learned/ knew how to pump during company drills and could skillfully drive the rig . This was usually for a short stint while awaiting to go to Engine Chauffeur School.
I became his choice after our DCFD discussion and I began driving him more and more often as Joe took care of union business. Then, I started to cover Joes vacation spot as the day to day ECC. In six months I was driving Engine 88, the 1980 American LaFrance, with TT often. It was funny that all the other firefighters in our group were senior men that had no desire to drive. At times I would look behind me and realize I am driving well over 100 years of experience!

*********

One afternoon driving TT, we get a box: Southern Blvd and 187 Street, near the Bronx Zoo, probably our furthest box north and east, it?s a 10-92, false alarm. We take up and immediately and quickly assigned to another Box; located at the corner of Monterey and 180 St, where we?re first due, our furthest box opposite from above, south and west, this is one of our notorious 10-92 boxes and hardly does a day go by that this box does not come in. It is in the backyard of the Monterey Projects on the northwest corner of 180 Street.

TT made clear to me when I first started to drive him that he takes in all alarms as if we received the ?three rings?, no exceptions? Knowing that, I started heading down Southern Blvd, picking up steam (the American LaFrance Engine had a slow acceleration, like driving a bus), as the rig gained speed, the Captain would lean further and further into the dashboard as if he was a race horse at the gate with the radio handset pressed to his ear. I turned the corner from Southern Blvd and began heading west on 180 St. at a good clip. Every couple of blocks is a red light, I slow, being careful making sure the intersection is clear, then gain speed again while weaving in and out of the cars. About six blocks from the box we can see the lights of Engine 46 turning onto 180 St from Third Ave heading toward us. They are now one block away from the box.

Monterey is a small dead end street...one block east from Third Avenue...TT sees E 46 turning onto 180 St, and not happy. Without looking at me and focused straight ahead  he commands in a direct voice ?DON?T LET THEM BEAT YOU IN?, he repeats as he leans closer and inches from the windshield now with the handset pointing at Engine 46; ?DON?T LET THEM BEAT YOU IN!?....I?m still four blocks away... I sense him looking directly at me; He orders; ?RAM THEM, RAM THEM, RAM THEM??.

My head is about to explode! Does he really mean it? And how am I going to ram a fire engine? In proby school they drilled it into our heads if you don?t follow orders you could be killed...I?m not worried about that I?m figuring ?he is going to eat me alive?. All this is going through this ?Proby?s? head like an ice cube in a blender.

Finally, over the radio:  ?Engine 46 to da Bronx, 10-92 Box XXXX?. I?m relieved, Whew, gasp, saved... TT saw my effort. Sat back in his seat, cradled the handset then looked over at me and said with a smirk ? You were going to ram them, weren?t you??. With a smirk right back I said ?Of course, wouldn?t you??

I drove back to Belmont Ave with a grin and an occasional glance at the boss, thinking...I love this guy!

(Side note: On January 1, 1988 while assigned to L 38;  Monterey Ave and 180 St. Box would be struck for one of the most horrific alarms I have ever responded to... reinforcing TT belief of never taking the job for granted.)

Thanks for reading...Hope you enjoyed. KMG-365

My Boss

Daily News: Capt G after being pulled out of a collapse at Tiffany and Fox, June 1969.

Engine 88; 1980 American LaFrance

Great stuff JohnnyG - probably like lots of others, can't wait for the next edition!

This one of mine doesn't have "Ramming speed" in it (I thought that was a great conversation), but here goes,
Once again - early 80s - working an OT tour in E69 (Harlem Hilton) - they have a Proby who is finishing up his 1st year and is due to take his Proby physical - the guys in 69/28 have been telling him that a medical officer will be coming to quarters to perform the physical.

Short time after lunch - the housewatch yells out that Car 32 medical officer has pulled up - FF John L. to the apparatus floor. Having already been clued into what's about to happen, I am already smiling. 69's apparatus door opens and outside is the 5th division van (stored in 37/40 quarters, but the Proby has no idea that it isn't car 32). Out of the van comes the medical officer (FF Manny F. 37/40 senior man) dressed in a long white lab coat with a stethoscope hanging from his neck, carrying a small black, what seems to be, doctor's bag. What a sight to behold!

Everybody working has now made their way to the apparatus floor, including the 16th Battalion chief, who I believe was BC George B. (RIP), man with a great sense of humor and arguably the biggest ball breaker in the Harlem Hilton. "Dr." Manny tells Proby John L. that he is in a hurry and it will be a very quick physical, so quick that he will perform it right on the apparatus floor. I don't know how guys weren't falling on the floor by now, the look on the proby's face was beyond incredulous. "Dr." Manny goes through some quick prelims, tells him his blood pressure is fine, heartbeat sounds normal, tells him he will draw blood right after he checks for a hernia.

Whatttttt - checks for a hernia!!!! He tells the Proby to drop his pants - guys are hysterical now - John L. asks him if he means "right here on the apparatus floor in front of everyone"? The chief says something like "do as the "Dr." said". The poor red faced Proby does as he is told, down go his pants - "Dr." Manny puts on a pair of rubber gloves - c'mon, for real? He actually reaches down into the general vicinity, I can't swear that his hand actually made contact, buttttttt - tells him to cough - he says "hmmmm, cough again". He turns to the Chief and says we have a problem, this man has a hernia and I am putting him on light duty immediately. The poor Proby is totally upset and in disbelief, asks "Dr." Manny if he is sure about the hernia. At this point the Chief tells him to take his gear off the rig and come up to the BC's office.

Proby John L. barely has his gear off 69s rig and an alarm comes in - 69/28/16 - everybody goes. The Lt. in 69 sees the Proby standing there while everybody else is gearing up, tells him "let's go, get your gear and get on the rig". John L. tells him that he can't - the Lt. says "what do you mean you can't" - "get on the rig". Once again, John L. says that he can't - that he is on light duty - the Lt. says "get on the F...ing rig, it was all a practical joke". Eventually, he was practically dragged, screaming and kicking onto 69's rig. This would have rivaled Paul Newman/Robert Redford's "The Sting".

Proby John L. went on to become an upstanding member of the Harlem Hilton and upon promotion, a Lt. in E60 "Green Berets"

As JohnnyG says - you really can't make this stuff up - beyond funny and no harm intended, but I wonder how that scenario would play out in today's FDNY?

Looking forward to Monterrey & 180!!! 

These stories are GREAT. It's better than watching TV. We used to laugh at some of the greats like "The Three Stooges", "Abbott and Costello", "Laurel and Hardy". But these stories are real and not Hollywood.

As a buff, sometimes I was invited into the firehouse back then and I got to enjoy a small part of the show. I would sometimes be included in the firehouse meal but the guys would not accept my cash for my share of the payment. I was told "You are our guest". The food was great but many times the show was great too.

Thank you guys. And by the way some of the companies that you guys talk about, E46, E60, E69, L28, L38 were some of my favorite areas. I'm sure we all crossed paths back in those "Good Ole' - Glory Days".

STAjo said:
68jk09 said:
69 METS said:
nfd2004 said:

If it's the Ira T. I know - From Flatlands Brooklyn (?)... I worked w/him on ' The Yellow Chase Trucks' @ Chase Auto E.35 x. 'I' & Dead End. (Talk about your Glory Days!) He & I Chased as many Fires as MVA"s.
He Always wanted to be 'On The Job'.
Chief J.K. Probably knows this guy as Chief was a bit o' 'Chaser' his-self back in 'The Day'. That's how he & I first met.
Richie M., Sandy B., Tommy M. ('Reno') and bunch of others went to The Job from our Ranks. I didn't make it; (Long, Boring Story...).
Ira & Sandy usually worked together at Chase we/ me and most of the Talk and 'Action' was FDNY.
We'd have 'Occasional Cocktails' @ O'Halorhan's @ J & Nostrand. There was some FDNY talk there too; but most of the Attention & Energy at 'O's' was focused on Females & Drinkin'.
O's was a very Irish-Sounding Place but was owned by a Little Italian Guy named 'Sammy'.
Sammy Always put-on a Fantastic Spread & Feast w/ Irish Music all day on St. Paddy's.
Great People; Great Fun!
If anyone know's of Richie, Ira, Sandy, 'Reno'; I'd love to catch-up w/ their FDNY Careers Here...Thanks, Staj.  8)

I was good friends with Ira and Sandy growing up in Brooklyn. Sandy's father and my father worked together in L101. I dispatched at Vollaro's on weekends for a while. Ira and I were in the same proby class. Sandy came on the job about a year after us.