Hazmat 1's new 2nd piece

I was looking at te Ferrara "In Production" pages today, checking out the 2 new Ultras that are being built for LongBeach, NY.  Guess what I saw in the background?  Sure looks like HazMat's 2nd piece . . . missing the cab.  What do you think?

DSC01844.JPG

DSC01843.JPG

Yeah from what I heard the cab was not a spilt cab so the engine could be more accessable. Just like how the ladder trucks are from Ferrara. That is what I heard. There might be more reasons that I don't of.

Was at the shops today. Haz Mat 2nd piece is there.

Fixed the post. For some reason it posted the same pic three times before

BCR

So is this a clompletly new truck or is this the one built a few months back that had issues ?

BCR

At the rate of growth before you know it the second piece will be that big !!

The second piece did not go out of service today.. It went out about a week ago. Here it is last week at the All Hands barge fire in the Bronx.

BCR

Anyone ever find out what happened with this piece ? Did they build a complete new unit or just change the cab when they sent it back ? Here is a picture of the original http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDeliveries/Images/rescues/5126/DSC_1409.JPG
And you can see the cab is not a split Tilit where as the one that came back and is in service is a split tilt . Just curious

Bulldog

Bulldog
I'm not sure if it's a completely new unit or not but comparing the pictures it sure looks like it is.  If it's not they certainly get a major rebuild of the box portion of the truck to integrate the front section that used to be part of the cab into it.  The old one had the cab with 2 rows of seating but the new one only has the single row of seating with the other section integrated into the box.  Seems that it would've been more work to modify everything that would've been to build a new one.

I wonder what happened that caused such a problem that the original design had to be scrapped and the complete truck replaced?  Hopefully someone was more knowledge of the situation will chime in.

This picture you are seeing is the Old Salisbury I remember wiring it when I worked there.

FDNY purchased a couple of hazmat 2nd units. The first one FH13001 is in frontline service and was the unit that went back to ferrara for a new cab. The second unit FH14001 is the spare unit. They look identical.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Joebud2006 said:
FDNY purchased a couple of hazmat 2nd units. The first one FH13001 is in frontline service and was the unit that went back to ferrara for a new cab. The second unit FH14001 is the spare unit. They look identical.
That certainly sounds like a huge waste of taxpayers money!  Having a brand-new backup for unit that you only have one of?  Does this not make a lot of sense to anyone else?