High-rise elevator operations

Good evening,
With the FDNY who is usually assigned the "Otis" or elevator operator position on high rises fires? With CFD it's the driver off either the the third or second truck. Thanks.

Hi Dan, it’s too bad you didn’t have more time on the job, because you would have made a great officer. You have a wealth of knowledge and a way to project it, the way you do it on this site.
TK

I second that "Lt Q".

It's guys like "you", Dan, and "so many others", many on this site, that I learned so much during my buffing years, not only about fighting fires, but leadership in the firehouse as well.

I didn't realize it then, but "I certainly do now".
I tried to pass some of that down to guys I worked with as well. "scarter" and "nfdcanman", as an example, now members on this site.

Hi Dan, it’s too bad you didn’t have more time on the job, because you would have made a great officer. You have a wealth of knowledge and a way to project it, the way you do it on this site.
TK
WOW, TK, what can I say? I'm honored that you think so. You made my day Brother, thank you! I was very blessed to have worked with some very outstanding bosses like yourself who inspired many of us young guns, especially me. I'd have to say, you and I had an incredible experience, during a magical time in a crazy joint. Thanks TK!

What is the rule for FDNY regarding using the elevators in high-rise's? Where I live in the Chicago area if it's fifth floor or bellow your going up the stairs, 5th floor or above they take the elevator two floors bellow the fire floor. Thanks.

What is the rule for FDNY regarding using the elevators in high-rise's? Where I live in the Chicago area if it's fifth floor or bellow your going up the stairs, 5th floor or above they take the elevator two floors bellow the fire floor. Thanks.
That's most likely copied from our books on elevator ops. The FDNY uses the 7th floor as the cut off and not more than six members per car. But we also stop at different intervals to make sure the elevator car is working properly and for the officer to observe conditions looking upward through the crack of the elevator car. The first action is to place the elevator car into fireman service. After that, the next step is to select floor and hit cancel. The elevator should react to the selection, if not the car is placed OOS. There is much more, this is just a tip of the 30 page manual.

Last edited:
When taking the stairs (regardless of how many floors your Dept protocol is) keep an eye on intermittent floors on the way up either by looking for visible smoke in the hallway thru the window glass if present or just yanking the door open quickly to make sure you are not passing something serious .....the "reported" floor could be wrong or a floor count from outside could be incorrect.

I know this thread is a year old, but I thought I'd chime in on the topic of high-rise elevator operations. While I'm not familiar with the specific protocols of the FDNY or CFD, I do know that elevator safety is crucial in any high-rise building.
That's where Hin Chong Lift Maintenance and Servicing comes in - they're one of the top companies for lift maintenance and repairs in Singapore, and they take elevator safety very seriously. With their expertise and attention to detail, they can help ensure that high-rise elevators are operating smoothly and safely.
Of course, in emergency situations like fires, it's important to have trained professionals on hand to handle the situation.

Last edited:
A basic study guide concerning elevators was "Six Pack - Seven Up".
A maximum of six members in an elevator car; seventh floor or below you walk up.
My last test was in the 20th Century so I don't know if it's still good information.