How It All Began

Recently I told Willy D a story about my first time "Buffing"

He said I should really share it with every one.

I was hesitant because the title of the group is "My Younger Buff Years"

For me "Younger Years" was 14 years ago as apposed to 40-50+ for most.

I decided to go with "How It All Began" for the title.

Now I wonder if this is even worth the share, as it doesn't compare to every one else's stories, but here we go.

My dad was a volunteer fire fighter for 30+ years, and that's how I got involved with fire fighting.
I wasn't much of a reader as a kid but while at the library one day I found a book on the shelf called "FireHouse" by David Halberstam. It talked about Engine 40 & Ladder 35 on 9-11. I couldn't put the book down, and for a non reader it was rare. Few months later after finishing the book (probably read it a good 3 times) I was heading on a family vacation (Dad, Mom Brother & my self) to Wildwood NJ. My dad told me "we have to make a quick stop in New York, a friend of mine said there is this cool place to visit" Not knowing what I know now about NYC I had no clue where we where. I noticed parked on the side of the road was a SSL Truck. I looked at the street sign and it was Amsterdam Ave & West 66th St, I yelled to my dad "Hey there is Engine 40 Ladder 35 The Cavemen" by that time my dad found a place to park. We got out of the car and boy was I happier than a fat kid in a buffet line. Only being 14 years old and being invited inside a special place like this I was speechless. I never got any ones name, but the guys were outstanding letting us take picture of the rigs, the fire house, and even let my brother & I sit in the trucks for pictures. We bought T-Shirts & patches 1 of the guys gave me a medal day plastic mug. It was like Christmas in July.

As years went by my dad would end up taking me to fire houses all over the 4 boroughs, Yes 4 because we never went to Staten Island. It was great here we were with our map quest directions and throw away cameras, granted it was 2004-2008 buy my dad being an "old school guy" he did not have a GPS not even a cell phone (2019 still no GPS, has a flip phone that he never uses & still gets paper checks)

I still didn't know as much as I do now about New York...I would still listen to the scanner on the computer (Mostly just Manhattan) but I didn't know Brooklyn had the most fires, 1 time while visiting Engine 53 & Ladder 43 the truck was sent out to relocate. I didn't know what that meant or that they went lights and siren to it. Everything was new, but when visiting I tried to take as much information in as I could. I also didn't know when tour change was so while stopping at Engine 4 & Ladder 15 one time I was turned away because it was tour change. Made that mistake 1 time and 1 time only. I felt terrible.

Every fire house we went to the guys were great, always offering to show me the trucks or the fire house, offer us a drink or a snack. We never took up on the offers. I was just thankful to be allowed in for a few pictures and to purchase a patch or a shirt. There was just this 1 times visiting Rescue 1 FF Al Benjamin wouldn't take no for an answer. He game my dad & my self the million dollar tour of Rescue 1. I was so thankful, he didn't have to do that, he wanted to. I never forgot that moment. Many years later he became the SR man of Rescue 1 and while visiting there another time he happen to be working, and remembered me. I felt honored.

2009 I graduated high school, and finally got my license (Never wanted it cuz all my friend drove & the fire house was in running distance) I decided to make my way over the Verrazano Bridge and visit all the Staten Island Fire Houses. Ended up having to make 3 trips over there but got it done. and by that time I knew a little more about the job.

As of 2019 I have visited every FDNY Fire House and have a patch (or patches) from every company in All 5 Boroughs.

As I got older and knew more about New York I found my self there more and more. Becoming friends with people on the job whether it was in the field or behind the mic.

The month was June (We will leave the year out of it) I was invited to "Ride along" with a busy Queens company (we will also leave the company out). It was Christmas now in June I was so excited I decided to go get ice cream (Dairy Queen). Long story short on my way home from Ice Cream I crashed my car by rear ending someone at a good speed. My car was totaled and I had a good gash on my forehead from hitting the windshield. (Wear your seat belts). I was so upset not because of my car, not because there was ice cream all over my dash. But that I could wake up the next morning with a concussion and not be able to go to New York.

The following day it was all systems go..I watched the clock for a good portion of the day waiting for the time so I could now go catch the train to GCT and then now subway out to Queens. I get to the firehouse I was nervous, don't say anything stupid, use your manors, LEARN something. It was the 6X9 tour, The first call was an Odor of Gas, Couple medicals, then finally "Phone Alarm smoke in the basement of a MD" I caught a 10-75 my first time riding. It was amazing to watch the men work and what each company did. I couldn't see any fire or smoke because of where the basement apartment was, but it was still something different to witness. It was getting late and I didn't want to leave. Then I was told "Hey would hate for you to take the subway home this late, there is an extra bed made up stairs for you" What a treat this was. I just had to make sure I woke up for the tones, but who could sleep in a time like, pretty sure I was forced to go to sleep lol. I was asked why I wore my baseball hat so slow that it wasn't a good look. I took it off so everyone could now see the giant gash from my accident on my forehead. "Yeah leave that hat low no one needs to see that they replied jokingly"

What experience that was a once in a life time opportunity

I also got to visit the XCO & MCO. It was different seeing the Communications center and not just listening from the scanner or phone.

Whelp there is my on "How It All Began" I am not good at typing long things so hopefully everyone is able to follow along. Let me know if I should delete this or move it some where else.

Thank You

Brad

Brad, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You're story is GREAT. I'm glad you told it. Now we all have a much better idea of "How It All Began", in this case for Brad Y., aka "signal73".

We ALL got started somehow. Like you, I wasn't too good of a reader either. But way back in the 1970s when "Report From Engine Co 82" came out, I had no problem reading that book from cover to cover - several times over. Same thing when the book "20,000 Alarms" came out. 

Brad, aka "signal73", you've been a great contributor to this site, with your rundowns, photos, and now your story. You have helped me personally many times without hesitation when I needed a photo posted here.

We all have our own stories of "How It All Began". I have mine to tell and I'll post it later. Of course some of the guys here have heard it about a dozen times already. But I guess one more time won't really hurt.

I hope more guys will tell their stories of "How It All Began" too.

GREAT Story Brad. THANK YOU.

"Happier than a fat kid in a buffet line". You had to bring Willy D into the story???

fdce54 said:
"Happier than a fat kid in a buffet line". You had to bring Willy D into the story???

Pig in Sh*t  Kid in a Candy store?  hows that lol  ;D ;)

Nice story Brad, I always enjoyed welcoming buffs when they came into quarters for it wasn't so long ago I walked in as a nervous kid tongue tied and mouth dry due to nerves, and remember how I was always treated very kindly.  I also made sure to welcome the new Proby who was usually a nervous wreck, too. These are good memories, if you think up more, please share!

Like many of us, it all began because we had a parent, relative, or good friend who was involved in the fire department who "Got Us Involved".

For me it was my father who was a firefighter in Bridgeport, Ct.

I certainly didn't realize it at the time, but on pay days, before such a thing as "direct deposit", he would bring me to the firehouse with him. Then if I had been good all week, he would buy me a soda and sometimes the guys would talk to me or show me the trucks. A few times they let me help wash those trucks and on one very special occasion, they even let me sit in the officers seat while they backed the big hook and ladder truck into the firehouse.

As time went on, if they were going to throw out some old boots or a turnout coat, my father would bring them home for me where I would try to walk around in a fireman's turnout coat and boots that didn't fit very well as you could imagine.

When I was about 7 years old my grandmother bought me my first bicycle. I added a basket onto it which carried those old boots and that coat. I added a light that also had a small blinking red light on it. I now considered myself a "junior fireman". I could now chase the trucks and sometimes after the fire, the guys would let me help pick up. A few years later my younger brother got into it too. We formed our own two piece company (pump and a hose wagon), which is what Bridgeport had at the time.

A few years go by and I get a car and my drivers license. Just about that time, crystal controlled scanners start to come out. The timing is "perfect". I get the crystals for Bridgeport and some of the surrounding towns. One of those towns is Milford, Ct and they share the same frequency at the time (154.25 MHz) as Manhattan. I begin listening to Manhattan from about 50 miles away.

Meantime I get a part time job at a neighborhood drug store. I'm working one of the holidays, Fourth of July maybe and I get talking to a customer who comes in. He tells me that he is a firefighter in Brooklyn at Engine Co 210 and he invites me down to the firehouse. He tells me what day to come down to visit and he also says they have a rescue company in quarters with them. "I can't wait to tell my father about this one".

I take the train down to Grand Central and then a taxi to Carlton Ave in Brooklyn. Those guys treated me GREAT. I make a few runs with them, they give me chow, and just before I go to leave, Lt Hamilton (RIP) tells me to come down on a Saturday night and he tells me I can bring a friend. I tell him my younger brother is 13 years old and he says "bring him down".

From that day on, "we were both hooked". What we know as the "FDNY WAR YEARS", had just begun. A few years later, places like Bridgeport and New Haven were getting into their own set of War Years. Sometimes coming home after catching plenty of jobs in NYC, we would catch another job there as the smoke drifted across the busy I-95. Or we could see the flames from that highway telling each other "there it is".

Both of us became volunteer firefighters in nearby Fairfield, Ct. It was a combination career/volunteer dept and we all loved it. Those guys treated us great too. Some would tell us about getting on the job and they would try to help us. We would all get around the television as our Favorite TV Show would come on once a week. The show was called "EMERGENCY" and we now know that our own site member "JohnnyGage" was enjoying it too.

I took about SIX Fire Dept test before I got on as a career firefighter. At times it got pretty discouraging. A few times it was my own fault and a few times it was beyond my control.

But I guess in the end, everything worked out. I ended up as a career firefighter in Norwich, Ct. I didn't think I would stay, but the job was good to me and now I would do it all over again if I could. I still chased the FDNY. In fact, I introduced a lot of guys into it who couldn't believe how busy it was. Today many of those guys are retired from the job, some are still on. They became very highly respected firefighters and officers, "I think" because of their learning experience while watching the FDNY work and train.

My brother, he retired from the Bridgeport Fire Dept as a Battalion Chief. That was the only fire dept test he ever took.

For me it began with my father being on the job. Then influenced by members of the FDNY, along with some great guys who were a part of the Fairfield FD.

Everything worked out perfect. To this day, ALL of us still talk about how lucky we were and about those days of buffing the FDNY.

Back in the 50s, we had a Hallicrafter tunable fire radio which was off frequency as much as it was on.  We would hear boxes in the area (Flatbush) and run to see what it was.  I would ride my bike to the closest firehouse, E 248, on Church Avenue.  They were not immediately friendly and blamed it on the fact that had a BC in quarters.  Instead, I rode a little further to E 281/L147.  Members there were much nicer, let me hang out around the watch desk, and ran errands to the grocery store.  After each store trip, they would invite in the back room for a soda.  In the early 60s, I was working for First National City Bank on the corner of Flatbush and Church Avenues.  E 248 was just half a block away.  I got to know the brothers when they came to cash their paychecks.  I would assist in picking up lines after fires; once they invited me to ride the rig back to quarters to have a cup of coffee.  On pay days, I was invited to have lunch at the firehouse.  One day, Capt. Bob L (69 mets father) said there was a way I could "legally" ride the rig anytime I wanted.  I signed on as an auxiliary and began riding in 1964.  After I while, I did paper work in the battalion office and started riding with B 41.  Became the aide to the aide and, due to my yellow helmet, was called "The Lemonaide."  Fantastic time from 1964 to 1973 working with a great bunch of firefighters.  In 1973, I moved to Fairfield, CT, joined their department as a volunteer, and worked with none other than our own Willy D and his brother.  After 26 years in Fairfield, moved to Stonington, CT in 1999 and joined their department in the fire police unit.

johnd248 said:
Back in the 50s, we had a Hallicrafter tunable fire radio which was off frequency as much as it was on.  We would hear boxes in the area (Flatbush) and run to see what it was.  I would ride my bike to the closest firehouse, E 248, on Church Avenue.  They were not immediately friendly and blamed it on the fact that had a BC in quarters.  Instead, I rode a little further to E 281/L147.  Members there were much nicer, let me hang out around the watch desk, and ran errands to the grocery store.  After each store trip, they would invite in the back room for a soda.  In the early 60s, I was working for First National City Bank on the corner of Flatbush and Church Avenues.  E 248 was just half a block away.  I got to know the brothers when they came to cash their paychecks.  I would assist in picking up lines after fires; once they invited me to ride the rig back to quarters to have a cup of coffee.  On pay days, I was invited to have lunch at the firehouse.  One day, Capt. Bob L (69 mets father) said there was a way I could "legally" ride the rig anytime I wanted.  I signed on as an auxiliary and began riding in 1964.  After I while, I did paper work in the battalion office and started riding with B 41.  Became the aide to the aide and, due to my yellow helmet, was called "The Lemonaide."  Fantastic time from 1964 to 1973 working with a great bunch of firefighters.  In 1973, I moved to Fairfield, CT, joined their department as a volunteer, and worked with none other than our own Willy D and his brother.  After 26 years in Fairfield, moved to Stonington, CT in 1999 and joined their department in the fire police unit.

John, we had a GREAT Time - didn't we !!!!!!

I'll briefly add to the discussion.  I've lurked here for quite a number of years now and figured I'd throw in my $0.02 worth of personal firefighting history.

I grew up in Northeast Philadelphia only a few short blocks form the quarters of Engine 36 and Ladder 20.  Still a relatively quiet house today, when I was growing up it was staffed by veterans of much, much busier North and West Philadelphia companies who were looking to move closer to home as they turned the corner towards retirement.

Until I started high school, if I wasn't playing whatever sport was in season, I could be found hanging around the firehouse.  My parents bought me my first scanner, a 4-channel crystal model from Sears.  There was Radio Shack a few blocks from the firehouse that stocked all the crystals needed to listen to the Philadelphia Fire Department.  The channels I remember were F-1 (all fire dispatch and operations), F-2 (extra alarm radio traffic only), and F-4 (non repeated hand held radios).  I remember workload increasing that necessitated the addition of F-3 (North Fire, fire dispatch and operations north of Lehigh Avenue) and changing F-1 (South Fire, fire dispatch and operations south of Lehigh Avenue and west of the Schuylkill River).  Thanks to the magic of rechargeable batteries, I had my scanner on practically 24 x 7.

In high school, academics, year round sports and girls pretty much relegated my buffing to a distant fourth place in my life.  I gave college a shot right after high school but it didn't work out too well.  I enlisted in the Navy and figured I'd get my 10 points veterans preference to get hired once I completed my tour of duty.  At that time, there was practically no way to get hired without those points.

Fast forward a few years and I was offered the opportunity to give college another shot, this time on the government dime.  I accepted the offer and ended up staying for almost another 10 years on active duty between college and eventually finishing my military service as a United States Marine.  I resigned my commission and entered the corporate world, where I found myself absolutely miserable.  My best friend from high school was on the job and told me that test was coming up and that he hoped that I hadn't forgotten my childhood obsession with the job.  I took the test right after 9/11 and was hired for the first academy class off of that list.

Fast forward almost 17 years and I've had one helluva ride.  Only company I haven't worked in has been Engine 78, the ARFF company at Philadelphia International Airport.

I have been fascinated by the rich history of the FDNY; thank you to those who've made this page a labor of love and for sharing their history with us eagerly reading in silence.

Semper Fidelis,
Pat

Hello Pat - first off, thanks for your service - secondly, thanks for sharing your own .02 cents worth - always nice when the story has a happy ending - glad you finally came to your senses all those 17 yrs. ago and used those vet's points for a good cause - stay safe down there in Philly (home of Smokin' Joe Frazier RIP)!

Thanks for the Joe Frazier reference...my first stop was Ladder 12, his gym was literally right behind quarters...

nfd2004 said:
Like many of us, it all began because we had a parent, relative, or good friend who was involved in the fire department who "Got Us Involved".

For me it was my father who was a firefighter in Bridgeport, Ct.

I certainly didn't realize it at the time, but on pay days, before such a thing as "direct deposit", he would bring me to the firehouse with him. Then if I had been good all week, he would buy me a soda and sometimes the guys would talk to me or show me the trucks. A few times they let me help wash those trucks and on one very special occasion, they even let me sit in the officers seat while they backed the big hook and ladder truck into the firehouse.

As time went on, if they were going to throw out some old boots or a turnout coat, my father would bring them home for me where I would try to walk around in a fireman's turnout coat and boots that didn't fit very well as you could imagine.

When I was about 7 years old my grandmother bought me my first bicycle. I added a basket onto it which carried those old boots and that coat. I added a light that also had a small blinking red light on it. I now considered myself a "junior fireman". I could now chase the trucks and sometimes after the fire, the guys would let me help pick up. A few years later my younger brother got into it too. We formed our own two piece company (pump and a hose wagon), which is what Bridgeport had at the time.

A few years go by and I get a car and my drivers license. Just about that time, crystal controlled scanners start to come out. The timing is "perfect". I get the crystals for Bridgeport and some of the surrounding towns. One of those towns is Milford, Ct and they share the same frequency at the time (154.25 MHz) as Manhattan. I begin listening to Manhattan from about 50 miles away.

Meantime I get a part time job at a neighborhood drug store. I'm working one of the holidays, Fourth of July maybe and I get talking to a customer who comes in. He tells me that he is a firefighter in Brooklyn at Engine Co 210 and he invites me down to the firehouse. He tells me what day to come down to visit and he also says they have a rescue company in quarters with them. "I can't wait to tell my father about this one".

I take the train down to Grand Central and then a taxi to Carlton Ave in Brooklyn. Those guys treated me GREAT. I make a few runs with them, they give me chow, and just before I go to leave, Lt Hamilton (RIP) tells me to come down on a Saturday night and he tells me I can bring a friend. I tell him my younger brother is 13 years old and he says "bring him down".

From that day on, "we were both hooked". What we know as the "FDNY WAR YEARS", had just begun. A few years later, places like Bridgeport and New Haven were getting into their own set of War Years. Sometimes coming home after catching plenty of jobs in NYC, we would catch another job there as the smoke drifted across the busy I-95. Or we could see the flames from that highway telling each other "there it is".

Both of us became volunteer firefighters in nearby Fairfield, Ct. It was a combination career/volunteer dept and we all loved it. Those guys treated us great too. Some would tell us about getting on the job and they would try to help us. We would all get around the television as our Favorite TV Show would come on once a week. The show was called "EMERGENCY" and we now know that our own site member "JohnnyGage" was enjoying it too.

I took about SIX Fire Dept test before I got on as a career firefighter. At times it got pretty discouraging. A few times it was my own fault and a few times it was beyond my control.

But I guess in the end, everything worked out. I ended up as a career firefighter in Norwich, Ct. I didn't think I would stay, but the job was good to me and now I would do it all over again if I could. I still chased the FDNY. In fact, I introduced a lot of guys into it who couldn't believe how busy it was. Today many of those guys are retired from the job, some are still on. They became very highly respected firefighters and officers, "I think" because of their learning experience while watching the FDNY work and train.

My brother, he retired from the Bridgeport Fire Dept as a Battalion Chief. That was the only fire dept test he ever took.

For me it began with my father being on the job. Then influenced by members of the FDNY, along with some great guys who were a part of the Fairfield FD.

Everything worked out perfect. To this day, ALL of us still talk about how lucky we were and about those days of buffing the FDNY.

Willy, if you wanted to make better time turning out with your bike, one of these gizmos would have worked. I had one!

^^^^ The siren eventually would wear a rut in the sidewall then you reversed the tire ...."at least if you were a BUSY BUFF "......at one time i had them front & rear.

68jk09 said:
^^^^ The siren eventually would wear a rut in the sidewall then you reversed the tire ...."at least if you were a BUSY BUFF "......at one time i had them front & rear.

JK, you are the super buff, who would have thought of that...Thanks for the chuckle today!