JOB IN LONDON

Bulldog

Bulldog
I had to laugh how they pulled the hose up to the basket of the aerial!

awkward to watch and can’t criticize since I’m not familiar with their operating procedures. I was yelling at the screen.
Questions about hydrant pressure from that water source?
Laddering SOP, none on building
Manpower?
What was that Firefighter doing in bucket? Besides spraying water on roof.
Was anybody on roof?
London is an experienced Fire Brigade but to see them in action compared to our SOP is really interesting.
Like I said can’t criticize, it works for them

awkward to watch and can’t criticize since I’m not familiar with their operating procedures. I was yelling at the screen.
Questions about hydrant pressure from that water source?
Laddering SOP, none on building
Manpower?
What was that Firefighter doing in bucket? Besides spraying water on roof.
Was anybody on roof?
London is an experienced Fire Brigade but to see them in action compared to our SOP is really interesting.
Like I said can’t criticize, it works for them
Very different for sure but ur right works for them & very different apparatus lcc had a sitting style pedestal very different for sure

I was told by someone who visited London that they have very few ladder companies and that when more help is needed they send only engines.

Hello all

I have been a silent reader in this forum for a long time. But now I would like to contribute something to this discussion with the turntable ladders in London.

Briefly about me, I am a volunteer firefighter in Germany, but also lived in London from 2017 to 2019.

To say that the situation in London is shocking with a ratio of 15 fire engines to 1 turntable ladder, I think is a bit short.

The tactical use of a turntable ladder differs significantly between the model practiced in the US, to how it is driven in more or less all of Europe.

Whereas in the US, turntable ladders are equipped beyond the ladder, with equipment for technical rescue and portable ladders. In London, this equipment is carried on fire engines. The use of the turntable ladder only is its ladder as a working platform at height. Therefore, the vehicles are only manned by two men. All other tasks are done by the correspondingly extensively equipped pumpers.
There are two types of pumpers kept in London, which do not differ except for the portable ladders they carry. Most fire stations are equipped with at least one so-called dual propose pumper. These carrie a 13.5m long extendable portable ladder. The other type, just called pumper, carries a 9m portable ladder. All pumper carry equipment for medium technical rescue. (For larger technical rescues, 15 fire rescue units (FRU) are kept on hand).

So in London there are 12* 30m turntable ladders, 3* 64m turntable ladders, and about 100* dual propose pumpers and 50* pumpers. This is sufficient, as outside Central London there are almost exclusively buildings with a maximum of three floors, where all floors can be easily reached via portable ladders.

This is in my opinion the main point, of course there are many other aspects that can be taken into consideration, which I have not done in my now already far too long post.

If there are any further questions, I will try my best to answer them.

I hope this post helps to understand the situation a bit.

Welcome Fabi 👍. What a fascinating post and it’s very educational! As with many things in life, sometimes things aren’t as they appear until someone explains it. Thanks for doing just that! 🚒