just an observation about the foam rigs

i noticed that the current foam rigs are getting pretty old the newest ones are 22 years old. and the last foam rigs were retired at about the same age as these currently are so are there any plans to replace them? and if so what would replace them?

I heard they were looking at buying engines without pumps,but I'm sure they will replace them with some of the 2000 rigs.

anesti said:
I heard they were looking at buying engines without pumps,but I'm sure they will replace them with some of the 2000 rigs.
What is the main difference between a engine and a Foam unit? (ofcourse the foam unit has foam, but other equipments?)

It carries equipment for foam operations. I can't be more specific because I haven't really gotten up close and personal with one. No water in the tank, only foam concentrate.

All Engine Companies carry 3-5gallon cans of concentrate for use with a foam eductor and foam nozzle which are also carried on Engines to allow for a handline of foam. Used for oil burner fires some auto fires and as needed. All trucks carry 2-5gallon cans of concentrate. At a fire sometimes you may hear all Engines being asked to bring foam cans to Engine xxx who is operating a foam line.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated Foam rigs.

Can only carry 2 people up front, no body allowed in back. (weight issues)
Has Hi-Ex Equipment, Special Foam nozzles and deck guns.
1000gallons for Foam.
Has a pump and can pump the concentrate or water depending on valve settings.
Rigs has built in eductors for deck gun and two handlines on top of the rig along with 4 lenghts per handline and 3 1/2 supply line.

Foam rig can do one of two things.  Pump concentrate or pump finished foam via deck guns, etc.
If it's used for supply it will work in a tanker shuttle fashion.
Used for attack it will be supplied finished foam.
Satellites have a FIMM for large scale jobs..