L 31 WAR YEARS LEGEND; THE HAZE

jbendick

Administrator
Wecome Mel it been a long time since I first met you. It was Sept 72 and I had just transfered in to the squad from E 96. When things settle down hope to get together with you Dan, and the boys. Your in for real treat when you get to met Willy D. bring your ear plugs.

Thanks guys. Hello jbendick SQ I remember Comedian Richie Bendido (spell) and Tom Flanagan from the squad. I’d know you if I saw you. As you know we had E82, E85, SQ,, TCU712, L31 & Batt. 27 all responding out of Qtrs. I look forward to getting together with you, Dan and the rest of the guys. I won’t forget my ear plugs

Wecome Mel it been a long time since I first met you. It was Sept 72 and I had just transfered in to the squad from E 96. When things settle down hope to get together with you Dan, and the boys. Your in for real treat when you get to met Willy D. bring your ear plugs.
And a sack of Big Macs :p :cool: o_O ?

HEY PROBY LOOK DOWN
My first day tour in L31 was Jan 1, 1971. At 0900 hrs., The night crew was upstairs in the bunk room resting having had a typically busy night. I was checking the masks and making sure the can was charged at 100 psi when all of a sudden a civilian ran into Quarters and yelled fire. It was across the street from the Firehouse in an 5 story occupied bldg. The Housewatchman yelled get out and called the dispatcher. I put on my Turnout Gear grabbed the Can & Hook and ran behind Captain McCaffery across the street to the second floor fire apt it was heavily banked down. We crawled in on our bellies dragging the can & hook as far as we could making a quick search without masks ( masks we don’t need no stinking masks ) (1st Due never took a mask) but I wished we had. We took a beating. People were coming down the stairs in coughing, choking droves. Capt McCaffery told me to close the fire apt door with the hook. Laying on the landing on my belly I couldn’t see anything as I swung the hook back and forth but couldn’t find the door. Walter P who was the Irons Man got it closed. E82 stretchEd and started knocking down the fire. In this Railroad type apt with bedrooms in the rear guys from the night tours and day tours were making grabs all over the place. The main body of fire was in a front livingroom. E82 was pushing in and knocking the fire down they did a good, fast, aggressive job. I was pulling the ceiling as fast as I could at Capt. McC direction. Debris was falling everywhere. IT’s smoky and all of a sudden E82 Willie K & His sidekick Bill K ( God Rest His Soul) are staring at me and with compassion say “HEY PROBY LOOK DOWN.” I looked down and there was a deceased female fire victim 43 yrs old my first 1045-1. I remember her name still. I was shook and went into a corner of the room by myself and said This is a Serious Job!!!
The fire was started by a Live Christmas Tree. From that day forward I’ve NEVER put a Live Christmas Tree in my house. May She Rest In Peace.