Ladder Companies on EMS runs?

I know that when New York City began the CFRD program in the mid 1990's the Ladder companies were supposed to be trained and go out on EMS runs as first responders like the Engines do, however because of a dispute regarding "extra pay or compensation" the Ladder company first responder program was in effect cancelled.
    Isn't it about time that the Ladder companies become EMS first responders like the Engines have done from the beginning of the program. I can think of nothing more foolish then having a Segment 1 emergency and skipping over the Ladder company and instead going to the next due Engine house ,just because the first due Engine is not available.
  In many other cities the Engines and Ladders will share EMS first responder duties and not only does it more equally distribute the workload but it further assures that nearest available company will respond on the most serious EMS runs.
  I am talking about the more serious stuff that the CFRD Engines respond to, so why not include the Ladder companies as well, at least when the Engine in the station is not available? It only makes sense.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
There has been no talk about this subject in a long time..
With money so tight can't see them spending any extra right now.

firepost said:
I know that when New York City began the CFRD program in the mid 1990's the Ladder companies were supposed to be trained and go out on EMS runs as first responders like the Engines do, however because of a dispute regarding "extra pay or compensation" the Ladder company first responder program was in effect cancelled.
    Isn't it about time that the Ladder companies become EMS first responders like the Engines have done from the beginning of the program. I can think of nothing more foolish then having a Segment 1 emergency and skipping over the Ladder company and instead going to the next due Engine house ,just because the first due Engine is not available.
  In many other cities the Engines and Ladders will share EMS first responder duties and not only does it more equally distribute the workload but it further assures that nearest available company will respond on the most serious EMS runs.
  I am talking about the more serious stuff that the CFRD Engines respond to, so why not include the Ladder companies as well, at least when the Engine in the station is not available? It only makes sense.

The last word of your post does not apply to Bureaucrats, especially in NYC.

That's just how things are. Engines do not respond on certain things the trucks do. Engines have EMS and trucks have water leaks, stuck elevators, etc.