Ladders Terrible Turning Radius

What I have noticed these Ferrara straight job Ladder Trucks have terrible turning radius. Not gonna mention any Ladders in particular but alot of them cant even respond out of quarters without going on the sidewalk. 3 points before responding... Has FDNY tried to put this in the specs to rule Ferrara out for bids? Or do they like Ferrara that much? Just wondering...

Over the course of time the rigs have gotten considerably larger. The width of the roads were designed when  there were still horse drawn rigs.    Now with this mayor and the previous Mayor.  They decided that they want to put in bike lanes and pedestrian walkways thus making the street more narrow  You also have to put into account is there are any illegally parked cars blocking them from making a tighter turn.  But it?s pretty easy to judge a chauffeurs ability when you aren?t behind the wheel and just standing there behind a camera  Guess it?s the same thing.  The manufacturer basically just puts their name plate on the rig.  The job writes the specs down to the nut and bolt

The rearmounts have had a poor turning radius for many years. The smart LCC would know to make the three point turn in advance, instead of trying to fudge a tight turn. I was fortunate, drove RM, TL and tillers. Each unique, especially positioning. As a regular LCC of a tiller, if the rig went out of service, sometimes there would be no tillers available for replacement and we would get a RM. What a sight to see the other LCC's who never drove a RM, got ugly! The difference between driving a sports car and a boat!...

Bulldog

Bulldog
Cornering the 95' Tower Letters is even worse because the huge rear overhang.

I am just gonna shift over to across the Hudson to Jersey City and Hoboken that say Tillers do not work for them. Eone Metro all the way. Even North Hudson Regional Fire in Rescue has problems with the Tillers, they want the Eone Metro.

JohnnyGage said:
The rearmounts have had a poor turning radius for many years. The smart LCC would know to make the three point turn in advance, instead of trying to fudge a tight turn. I was fortunate, drove RM, TL and tillers. Each unique, especially positioning. As a regular LCC of a tiller, if the rig went out of service, sometimes there would be no tillers available for replacement and we would get a RM. What a sight to see the other LCC's who never drove a RM, got ugly! The difference between driving a sports car and a boat!...

4 truck said:
Over the course of time the rigs have gotten considerably larger. The width of the roads were designed when  there were still horse drawn rigs.    Now with this mayor and the previous Mayor.  They decided that they want to put in bike lanes and pedestrian walkways thus making the street more narrow  You also have to put into account is there are any illegally parked cars blocking them from making a tighter turn.  But it?s pretty easy to judge a chauffeurs ability when you aren?t behind the wheel and just standing there behind a camera  Guess it?s the same thing.  The manufacturer basically just puts their name plate on the rig.  The job writes the specs down to the nut and bolt

I think those who have the experience and have driven fire apparatus in New York City can tell it best.

The pros and cons of every type of truck in a place like NYC vs maybe a place like L.A. City might be quite different. Both of course major cities.

Jersey City has the first Demo Metro and another one is about to be in the city in about 3 months. Very good truck! Hoboken loves the metro with the tight streets. Only thing that works

1261Truckie said:
Anyone know how the E-One Metros in Jersey City, Hoboken and Boston are holding up?
Sounds like BFD likes the Metros, with the upcoming order the city will have 19 Metros, leaving 2 new E-One towers and a single KME rear mount making up their aerial fleet.

I believe for the most part they're being replaced by E-One. Except the new tower ladders.

1261Truckie said:
Sfdc111,
Thanks for the info. Wonder why Boston is holding onto the one K M E

As it?s been relayed, the KME aerial has a different motor than the ones that have all the issues, it?s currently assigned to L16, I believe the members at 16 like their truck, but with the way BFD buys trucks they could easily add an additional ladder to make a full Metro front line fleet.

Some things on the metro the body is aluminum with a 31,000 lb to 33,000 lb rear end. Vs 52,000 on the fdny Stainless steel body that is significantly more in weight could not be placed on that axle
  The metro aerial has a 350. To 500 lb tip load, vs 500 to 750. Lb tip load. The Boston rigs have Cummins 9 litre 450 engine, small block, vs 12 litre 500 for the fdny. Lastly the cab would need to be redesigned if fdny held to its routine.
Just some thoughts.

Apparently they have not been holding up well in Newark, being shop queens with more time out of service then in.